ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Memory upgrade

Corsa Van. Meh.
I ordered my iMac recently with 4gb RAM. I am keen to upgrade the RAM by another 8gb (2 x 4gb). Just wanted to confirm that you can mix and match or should I keep it all the same? e.g order 4 no. 4gb cards rather than have 2 no. 4gb and 2 no. 2gb.

Thanks

Black 51plate 1.2
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1423#1

i
was actually looking into this aswell for my 2010 2.5ghz 21.5 inch mac ( mid 2010) model. And according to this page the imac comes with four memory slots and can have up to 16 gb i.e. four 4gb.
and that you can mix and match on sizes ie 2x 4gb 2x 2gb ( <--- just an example )

hope this helps :)

Last edited:
  Corsa Van. Meh.
I'm sure i've read somewhere it can support up to 32gb. Although I obviously have the 2011 version.

Corsa Van. Meh.
I just ordered 8gb. I think 12gb will be enough for now although it was tempting for 16gb.

Black 51plate 1.2
Once you have put them in can you post if you have notice any significant changes ? i am tempted to do it but i want to make sure it makes a big difference ?

Audi S1
It's only going to make a difference if you need it. If you're not using all your current RAM then it's pointless tbh...

Monaro VXR
The temptation to do that is very high^^ perhaps I'll ask for some RAM from Santa when we get back to Xmas.

Unles you are doing some fairly hefty hardware intensive work on the system. Very large images in photoshop, HD video etc. You won't get any where near needing 32GB. Bit like those that whack 16GB in to a system, then say they only really do web browsing etc. Won't notice any difference over 4GB in all honesty with that usage.

Look at the PC Forum, where the highest end rigs over there are still using 6-12GB. No idea how Apple have managed to make people think they need to max the memory out on their systems as 99% of the time it's just wasted money. You will know when you need that kind of ram, as you will struggle to use the system with any less. If you frequently see the SBBOD then you might need it, really need to check the usage at the same time.