ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Metal Grinding Noise Around Timing Area?

Une_Baguette

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 172
Hi all, recently my 172 has developed an issue around the timing belt area it sounds like a metal scraping noise kind of like a bearing has gone don't believe it is the dephaser but was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? The timing belt and water pump were done 2 years ago by the previous owner I carried out an aux belt change myself last month so it's had a new idler pulley and belt tensioner and aux belt. Here's a video of the noise it occur quite occasionally and it's kind of high pitched grinding noise. It does it on idle and while driving the car. Anyone give me any advice at all? Thanks!

Last edited:

Dex90

ClioSport Club Member
  11Megne250/02Clio172
Was the noise there before you changed the aux belt last month?

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk

Dex90

ClioSport Club Member
  11Megne250/02Clio172
bit of a coincidence, you buy a genuine aux kit? take the aux belt off and spin the idler , see if its squeeking

Une_Baguette

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 172
bit of a coincidence, you buy a genuine aux kit? take the aux belt off and spin the idler , see if its squeeking
Sorry for the late reply! Yeah it was a genuine kit, I just took it to the mechanic I trust since I don't have the time to work on the car currently, he says he'll get back to me tomorrow so I'll keep you guys updated!

Une_Baguette

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 172
So today the mechanic gave me a call turns out worst case scenario there is metal fillings inside where the timing belt is leading to a potential bearing or something similar gone wrong. This means a complete timing belt job unfortunately but at least I know it will be done now, I've decided I'm going to get a new dephaser and crank pulley since I haven't a clue since they were changed. Also going to get new cam seals on the timing side, the mechanic is going to take the engine out for the job which in my mind would make the job much easier for him to do, is there anything else I should look out for?

dan's cast offs.
engine out? i wouldn't be paying for the extra labour on that, no way the engine needs to come out.

Une_Baguette

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 172
engine out? i wouldn't be paying for the extra labour on that, no way the engine needs to come out.
Well, to be honest, it makes it easier and he's not charging me much more to do it so why not I guess?

dan's cast offs.
yes it makes it easier but it's more work to get it out in the first place. if you trust him then go for it.

Une_Baguette

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 172
Yeah, the whole lot is getting done, both every cambelt rollers, tensioner, seals, dephaser and the crankshaft accessories pulley. So it should hopefully solve my issue. Will I need to order a tool for fitting the camshaft seals(timing belt side)?

dan's cast offs.
sorry but if you are paying someone to diagnose and do the work for you the word hopefully shouldn't even come into it!! also why do you need to order tools for him to do the job?

not trying to be funny but this sounds like it's going to be a comedy of errors and cost you a silly amount of money in the long run.

Une_Baguette

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 172
So got the timing belt done today all sorted and the timing has been set correct! It was previously out so Instantly noticed a difference in the drive of the car and the noise of the engine. Also getting much more MPG which is a big plus so very happy overall turns out the grinding noise was coming from the crankshaft pulley so any grinding noise has been fixed :)
46897889692_4662d94694_z.jpg

Last edited: