ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Michelin PE2 (exalto 2's) are no longer being made!!!!

Inferno 182
Michelin have now ceased production of the PE2 and will be replacing it wil a Pilotsport3.

The only trouble with that is that the PSPT3 will not be available untill end of september.

abit of a shame when i have just discovered a bulge in 1 of my front tyres (with 4mm tread :mad:) and have these all round!

Inferno 182
yeah but they are not available at the mo and I need one as I dont fancy driving with a bulge in the tyre for a month

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Just because they have ceased production doesn't mean you won't be able to source any. Get yourself on camskill

RX8, Clio II 1.6 16v
Blackcircles.com is still listing PE2, if you phone around then somewhere should have stock.
Or if another tyre is quite worn then you could get a pair of P zero nero (cheaper per corner).
Ebay often has lots of cheap part worns for sale, and there are other sources of part worns too.

Inferno 182
I'm in the motor trade and i can find a couple dotted about but cheapest price is £130-£150 robbing b*****ds!

gonna try the hankook v12 evo like a few on here have recommended to tide me over then if i dont like them then buy a pair of PSPT3s for the front
when the other exalto has worn out :(

Last edited:
  Inferno 182
Blackcircles.com is still listing PE2, if you phone around then somewhere should have stock.
Or if another tyre is quite worn then you could get a pair of P zero nero (cheaper per corner).
Ebay often has lots of cheap part worns for sale, and there are other sources of part worns too.

checked ebay though dont like part worns normally. pirelli pzero nero hell no will they ever garce the wheels of my car after experiencing these on a friends 182 slightest bit of rain and he went straight at every corner! or had the back come round on him when he had them on the back

2001 Clio 172
Yea i found this out today from Tyre Spot. Some places still have PE2's and others now PE3's. Camskill only do the XL version, will these be the same or not? Blackcircle are £100 each not £85 like Camskill :(

Not a 320d
For god sake why the hell not?

How is PE3 a better tyre?

Thought PE2's were basically PS2's, IE, fairly soft and relativly slick. PS3's are worse than the PS2 iirc so surely PE3 will be worse.

500 Twinair
Try Elite in Essex, ring them and they will deliver, had loads in stock when I spoke to them.

2001 Clio 172
Looks like i might not be able to test this theory of the PE2 being the best tyres. Dont think im going to pay £100 a corner. Replace my current Conti's for £130, looks like thats odds on!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
For god sake why the hell not?

How is PE3 a better tyre?

Thought PE2's were basically PS2's, IE, fairly soft and relativly slick. PS3's are worse than the PS2 iirc so surely PE3 will be worse.

Pe2s aren't a soft compound or relatively slick mate. They last ages and dispurse water really well.

Pe3s will be just an improved pe2

Inferno 182
its going to a pilotsport 3 not an exalto 3. not that i mind to much i had pilotsport 2s on my bmw and they were very impressive

DMS

A thirsty 172
checked ebay though dont like part worns normally. pirelli pzero nero hell no will they ever garce the wheels of my car after experiencing these on a friends 182 slightest bit of rain and he went straight at every corner! or had the back come round on him when he had them on the back

I don't know how you've managed to come to that conclusion?
I have P Zero Nero's on my car all round at the moment (and on my car they have huge torque to contend with). In fact, I've had 3 sets on the front and 2 sets on the back in the last 2½ years and never had an issue with grip in the dry. I can get them to spin in the wet if I plant my foot to the floor but during ordinary or even slightly spirited driving on wet roads they don't lose grip. I'd need to really push the car to get them to let go in the rain, and that would be a stupid thing to do anyway.
As far as I'm concerned, the only issue with them is that they don't last very long. I reckon about 10,000 miles per set including swapping them around when the fronts get low.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are better tyres out there and next time I need new ones I'll be trying something different (I know Eagle F1's are good, and I want to try the Hankook V12 Evo's), but because they're so cheap and aren't much different to PE2's all round I can't fault them.

Not a 320d
my mate had PS2's on his 1 Series and they were fantastic, moved over to PS3's all round recently and they are ..... well, not PS2's lol.

RX8, Clio II 1.6 16v
I have P Zero Nero's on my car all round at the moment (and on my car they have huge torque to contend with). In fact, I've had 3 sets on the front and 2 sets on the back in the last 2½ years and never had an issue with grip in the dry. I can get them to spin in the wet if I plant my foot to the floor but during ordinary or even slightly spirited driving on wet roads they don't lose grip. I'd need to really push the car to get them to let go in the rain, and that would be a stupid thing to do anyway.
As far as I'm concerned, the only issue with them is that they don't last very long. I reckon about 10,000 miles per set including swapping them around when the fronts get low.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are better tyres out there and next time I need new ones I'll be trying something different (I know Eagle F1's are good, and I want to try the Hankook V12 Evo's), but because they're so cheap and aren't much different to PE2's all round I can't fault them.

2nd that - all I can say is I am running Pzero's front and Proxies rear and find they hold the road really well, granted I can't push them as much as a 172. There was some test done recently where Pzero's came top of the bunch and they commented that they had improved wince the last test, so maybe YMMV with older ones.

Replacing my fronts soon and going for the Hankooks though (lots cheaper ;))

Inferno 182

tyres i find are down to personal preference all i know is that the difference between his with pzero nero's on was huge it didn't feel planted or reassuring to drive compared with mine with exalto's alround.

Mini Cooper S
You got a link or any proof to say they're being discontinued? Would just like to read the article, I don't not believe you lol.

Golf GT & A4 Avant

Wouldn't agree with that at all with the P Zero Nero's in the wet, I thought they were absolutely fine when pushing on, and in the dry give more traction compared to the PE2 when accelerating.

Inferno 182
You got a link or any proof to say they're being discontinued? Would just like to read the article, I don't not believe you lol.

Unfortunately not I am in the motor trade and work for mercedes benz and spoke to michelin themseleves by phone.

Inferno 182
Are PE2's actually any good then? Would you prefer the PS3 or PE2 if you had the choice?

the PE2's are great never lost traction wet or dry even when having some fun. PS3's are just starting to come through now and i dont have any first hand experience of them. now got some hankook v12 evo's on the front and they are brilliant cheaper than the michelins and provide the same grip and response ;) just need to see how they wear now.

Not a 320d
the PE2's are great never lost traction wet or dry even when having some fun. PS3's are just starting to come through now and i dont have any first hand experience of them. now got some hankook v12 evo's on the front and they are brilliant cheaper than the michelins and provide the same grip and response ;) just need to see how they wear now.

Well they were my previous choice, but ive since changed my mind as im sceptical about both the price and the tread pattern, and the brand. if PE2's are still about next month when i have spare cash ill buy some.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
some megane rs guys say they're lighter and have better wet grip than PS2's but can't understand why the clio 1*2 boys keep wondering about PS3's as michelin probably won't do them in 16"sizes as they never did with the PS2's

They are around the same price as the Pe2's
As for pictures .......they are black, round and say Michelin on the side....

^^ Dont know, i guess there website is not up to date. All i can tell you is that i now have some fitted. So they must be making them.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
"they are black, round and say Michelin on the side...."
you have to use your imagination it seems...

i will get some up, if i get a chance over the weekend. Didnt think there would be much call for pictures of tyres tbh.