ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Microsoft Licensing - Windows 7 pro downgrade to windows XP Pro

Rav4
Guys,

A question regarding the licensing.

We use Windows XP Pro throughout all the workstations.

We do not want to move up to Windows 7 yet.

In the near future, we will be buying some new workstations, they will obviously be coming with Windows 7, down gradable to Windows XP Pro.

I am a bit unfamiliar in regards to the licensing and how it works.

We have one universal Windows XP Pro image, and we input the product key accordingly when we rebuild our existing machines using the OEM licensing product key.

All new machines will only have the Windows 7 Product Key, yes you can downgrade to Windows XP Pro using the CD, but what license does it use?

How would this work for the downgrade?

Is it better practice that when we purchase these new machines (with windows 7 down gradable to windows xp), and we convert the OEM licenses to Volume Licenses?

Can we then move up to Windows 7 on these licensed machines when we are ready?

There are a lot of questions, but there is no concise information on the internet.

Really need your help on this,

Thanks,

Gabi.

Just spoke to two HP people, they did not know the answer, going to call me back, I have emailed two of my preferred suppliers as well.

Basically, if they came with a COA sticker for each licensed OS it would make life so much eaier.

Rav4
It's easier for larger organisations.

But we buy our machines with the licenses on them, as it works out more economical.

I would rather buy none OS'd machines, then just use VL, much easier, but not in this instance.

Clio 1.2 Grande (2001)
Whenever I've had one of these machines come via my office I've just booted them up, created the Windows 7 images (this is very important if you ever want to go back to win7 as they don't include the discs these days) then stuck the XP downgrade disc in and run it. It's never asked me for a key.

The product key on the case will be the same for XP and Win7 I suspect. Remember it's an OEM licence specific to this machine. So as long as your universal Windows XP Pro image is an OEM version the key on the case should work fine with that.

You know you might as well just run them as windows 7 though. If there's any programs that NEED XP you can just run them in XP mode under windows 7. We've got a few guys on our network now using windows 7 machines along side XP and Vista.

M3 CSL, GT4 & SL
You are licensed to use XP with a Windows 7 COA (Sticker)

When Installing you just use another XP OEM Product Key (doesn't matter if its used more than once), or if you have a volume license version you can use that. (It doesn't matter how you get XP on, it is licensed via the Windows 7 COA) This is what Microsoft told me when I enquired.

If you have any issues activating over the internet, call up and if needed you just explain you are downgrading Windows 7.

You can upgrade to Windows 7 at any time you want

I think that covers all your questions :)