ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mileage on a 172/182

Phantom GTV
Hi guys,
Joined up to the forum as i'm on the hunt for a nice 172 or even better a 182.
I've seen a few about, obviously mileage varies enormously though.
I've found a nice 182 that has 110k on the clock, I know this is quite high, but wondering if its a worrying about for the 182, is it worth spending more and getting one with less miles?

Thanks
Ed

BG 182
A lot of people say mileage is just a number and if theres plenty of history, it's not too much of an issue. Although a car valuation can significantly change due to mileage too. I would buy a high mileage if it was in good condition, had a caring owner and a lot of paperwork.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Mileage isnt a issue as long as it been looked after, Sir Daves trophy is on 176k or around that, and it gets hooned around a track quite often

Phantom GTV
Thanks for the prompt replies.
The ad reads:

Renault Clio 182 16v Sport, 2004 54Reg,3 Door Hatchback, Black paintwork,Half Leather Sports Interior, CD Player, Alloys, Xenon Headlights, One Owner from new, 103000 miles, 6 Service Stamps last one at February 2011 + Service Bills, had Cambelt at 71000 miles, Tax & MOT'd, Excellent Condition, Genuine Car

It looks fairly tidy in the pics, and is up for £2495.

2004 182FF
I had a 1.2 Clio with 42k and it was s**t. Broke down all the time and had an underlying electrical problem.

My 2004 182 which I bought on 68k last August, and since have driven it up to 97,500 with oils changes every 6k.... hasn't skipped a beat.

So yeah, mileage is a number.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
They're generally strong units if well maintained.

Mines on about 130k now (lost the speedo at 107k), has had two trackday outings this year, and apart from one electrical hiccup it hasn't missed a beat.

TTRS & V50
If in doubt walk away regarding #6. There's plenty about.

I wouldn't worry about mileage, mines mid 90's now, bought on 60k and hasn't missed a beat either, keeping with 12k services.

@MarkCup, don't you just need a speedo sensor on the GB for your problem ?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
IMG_0789.jpg

Done about 2k miles on track in the past 12 months lol ..

Mileage is just a number, its the maintenance & love that the car receives that is important :)

I <3 my Trophy.

LY 182
IMG_0789.jpg

Done about 2k miles on track in the past 12 months lol ..

Mileage is just a number, its the maintenance & love that the car receives that is important :)

I <3 my Trophy.

He says this with his Service light on lol!

Only joking, it's reassuring to see a Trophy on that mileage!

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Also depends on the mileage you do really I guess. No point buying one with really low mileage and then piling it on. You'll kick the s**t out of the value of the car when you come to sell.

I only do 3,000 to 4,000 a year now-a-days so I bought a 2003 172 with only 38,000 on the clocks.

pimp mobile Zafira
As people have already said mileage is just a number long as it's been looked after you'll be fine. Sir_Dave That mileage is legend status. Just goes to show you how good these little cars can be.

53 Clio's & counting
Mine had 140k, 195bhp and had the arse fapped out of it every day lol - they dont loosen up till 100k imo

ibiza cupra
127,000 on mine. the only proplem i have at the momment is with the immobiliser. its my daily driver but i still look after it as shes my baby lol

High mileage isn't a massive issue if it's well cared for. I got mine on 76 in Jan and its now on 84. The value has dropped out of it (and 182's in general), so there should be a few bargains floating around for what "joe pubic" perceive as high milers! Just make sure you account for the depreciation before you buy!!

Bear in mind the one you mentioned had a cambelt at 71K so it'll be looking at another one in 30K miles if its on 110k now or sooner if that 71k was racked up very early on in its life. Cambelt is due every 5 years or every 72K miles and iirc the Auxillary belt is due every 36K or 3 years so make sure that is up to date.

53 Clio's & counting
lol after yesterdays CCS it's not far off 135,000 miles mate ;)

You should catch me up though fella, as the 172 doesn't do many miles now.

Not at the mo, il be lucky if this one does more than 100 miles this year!

Taking my time with it, not going over board, but no real need to rush - im hoping to have it mobile for the Combe action day in Sept, hoping the cage will be in by then.

Got a few new ideas id like to try with it too

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Not at the mo, il be lucky if this one does more than 100 miles this year!

Taking my time with it, not going over board, but no real need to rush - im hoping to have it mobile for the Combe action day in Sept, hoping the cage will be in by then.

Got a few new ideas id like to try with it too

Good stuff. I'll see you at Combe then Russ!

53 Clio's & counting
Yeah dude, and this time we actually have to say hi, I think we have been meaning to say hi for the past 3 years at Combe lol

Jap Box
Only a 1.2 but considering I bought it at 122,000 miles last year with no service history its engine has held up perfectly. Only problem I had was the clutch slipping

DSC02729.jpg

53 Clio's & counting
138k for my old one on the original clutch, and on itb's lol oh and it was still going strong when i sold it.

Good lil cars these

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3
Just out of interest, does a car with airbag lights on still pass an mot?

Jap Box
This is how I understand it also. My airbag light is also on, and my MOT is in December :(

Thankfully mines in September, and have had no problems with the light on this one, this is partially why I havent swapped the interior out so it stays that way as long as possible :rasp:

Never above 25mpg
Nearly 89k and fine. Did the journey to CSS and back no problem (aside from my midjudgement with the fuel gauge :eek:)

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Bought the blue 172 three years ago on 78k, the lump is now in the white Clio, 106k with new cambelt kit, cup belt, clutch at 90k and still pulls well. Regular oil change using ELF Renault oil and filter.