ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mini JCW Review

Turbos.
It's been a couple of months since i sold the CSL. Despite the good intentions, i have really missed it, but ultimately it was the right thing to do.

I had more or less lined up my next car. I wanted it to be small and relatively cheap to run, but wanted to have lots of toys to entertain me through winter. It's surprising how many cars don't fit this criteria, so in reality the Mini picked itself.

I originally intended on getting a normal Cooper S, but it was difficult to find the right spec. However, a lot of the JCW models come fully kitted out. Mine cost the owner when new a whopping £32,000!

After picking it up, i got the race team to remove the optional high level spoiler (thanks for swapping jayxx83!) and spotlights. I wanted the car to be subtle, which i think is achieved especially with the all grey paintwork.

P1070342.jpg

P1070347.jpg

P1070332.jpg

P1070339.jpg

P1070327.jpg

P1070336.jpg

P1070330.jpg

P1070335.jpg

P1070326.jpg

P1070322.jpg

P1070338.jpg

P1070319.jpg

I haven't modified it yet, excluding the fitment of an optional part alcantara wheel. I saw it on eBay and thought it would be a nice reminder of the CSL! It's nice and chunky, fantastic to hold, probably better than the CSLs in fact. Other than that, i got the team to give it a general service with replacement brakes.

So, what do i think of it so far? I haven't owned a FWD for a couple of years now, so i have to re-learn some aspects of driving it. The LSD means you certainly have to hold on when going down a bumpy road at speed! The turn-in on these Minis is amazing though. The term 'handles like a go-kart' is as cliche as it comes, but it really does apply here. It's very throttle sensitive with DSC off.

The gearbox is nice and positive, but i might have to change the slightly annoying gearknob. The pedals are well spaced but there is not much footwell space (i'm only a size 9). It has a 6 speed 'box that is quite tightly spaced. This means you have acceleration even in 6th which is fun at first, but i would have preferred it to have been an over-drive so i could get better MPG (currently at 30MPG).

I've grown to like the supercharger whine, but it's best to change no later than about 5000rpm as the engine is a bit coarse after that. The exhaust is great fun with engineered pops and gurgles on the overrun. It's good that it isn't boomy but can be enjoyed with the window down.

Overall then, i really like it. It doesn't have runflats so the ride is actually comfortable. The Recaros are probably the best road seat i've ever sat in and everything is nicely at hand. The only real downers are the fuel economy and teeny boot. With it being just me in the car most of the time, it's not a big deal though.

I know the Minis are loathed on here but i question how many people have actually driven one to compare. If any locals want to do a comparison, let me know :approve:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's nice, I can't understand the normal seats in them tho, they look like you would slide out of them!

Also the rear bumper grilles look a bit cheese graterish.

Stunning example tho.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I briefly drove Alans off here and the thing that struck me was the low down torque compared to that of the 172.

Fantastic cars, i was never a fan but now id be quite happy to own one now. Runflat tyres make for quite a crashy ride and thus far im aware cannot be repaired with conventional nails and screws and that the tyres have to be replaced (think alans been through 4 so far) That would piss me off badly i think!

This aside, great cars, quick and the birds love them

Good read! Best colour for them

My neighbour has the Turbo Cooper S and it sounds great, I can't stand the whine if I'm honest.

I also don't like the planet sized speedo dial right in the middle of the dashboard. But I guess thats just part of them.

The GF is on about buying a MCS convertable quite soon..

Turbos.
I thought about the newer Turbo version as they have come down in price if you're willing to relax on spec. The earlier ones have more character though, with a much more enthusiastic suspension setup so that swayed it for me. If i wanted clinical, i would have bought a Golf GTI.

I am undecided on the aero kit, i don't like the cheese graters either! Red brakes are a bit naff too.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I actually like the mini's. However, like you say, 32k on a mini, no matter what the spec is ludacris!

Shame you had to sell the CSL...I would struggle to let go of something so nice.

lol...I mind a while back, i rev'd mine, stoddie rev'd his and then Alan's rev'd the hair dryer! Fcukin Hilarious!

ST
Peach mate, i love mine...they do pretty much everything so well..

I quite like the aero kit on mine, tho mine is all painted...the spot lamps are a bit marmite tho.

3917303404_ebe8f13f78_b.jpg

3808192389_f4a75e0f3c_b.jpg

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I like them.

I do have a habbit of buying faggot wagons though!

Turbos.
I appreciate the spotlights suit the Mini's heritage, but i just thought it was dead weight! The wiring was also an absolute joke. I normally don't like the painted arches but it suits yours Alan...

The Mini is a step up from the Smart it terms of straightness i reckon.

Freetrack&Monaco 172
P1070335.jpg

So, what do i think of it so far? I haven't owned a FWD for a couple of years now, so i have to re-learn some aspects of driving it. The LSD means you certainly have to hold on when going down a bumpy road at speed! The turn-in on these Minis is amazing though. The term 'handles like a go-kart' is as cliche as it comes, but it really does apply here. It's very throttle sensitive with DSC off.

Nice purchase!

I've become a real fan of the JCWs......my best mate works for Pistonheads and after the show last Jan he popped in with one of their loan cars/collegues' one (cant remember which). Took me out for a spin in it.....that optional LSD (not surprised at the £32k) makes a hell of a difference over the standard box's diff. He took me round a small roundabout at speeds I wouldnt even contemplate in my Cup. I had to pick my jaw up off the carpet in the passenger footwell. It just hangs on the more you push it. From then on I have worshipped them! Cant justify (or see the point) spending £1000+ on having one fitted to the Cup though.

The one he borrowed had had the stealth treatment. Was black to start with but was on standard 15's I believe and apart from the little JCW badges and the bonnet scoop, looked like a base model Cooper.

The alloys on yours are stunning, just wish they suited a clio ;) may be a tad jealous......seriously considering making a mini purchase in a year or so.....

I may have also convinced one of the guys at work here to buy a GP earlier in the year :S not sure which number he has but it does look very nice indeed.

Rob

Turbos.
Yeah, i really like the BBS R90s. Cost a fortune to refurbish being split rims though! I plan to get some 16" winter wheels although i'll need spacers to clear the brakes.

The LSD is certainly worth it, they slipped in and out of the options list but i believe were standard on 2005+ cars as long as it had a Chilli pack.

Flamer 172
Used my GF's Cooper S regularly (before it was stolen) when i had my 172 and when i got the 182. Much more fun and much better build quality. After being in hers all day i got in my 172, pulled the hand brake up and it snapped!

Nice car.

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
My dads got a JCW but auto not manual drove it last week and honestly forgot just how fast it feels compared to my R27 wether it would leave me behind in the R27 ive yet to see but the urgency of the thing is unbelievable plus the SC whine i love! and his exhaust note is awesome always pops and burble's as he drives off

he has spent a fortune on it tho

new Recaro seats the same as yours
alpina wheels
R56 JCW brake set up
carbon dash

IMG_0144.jpg

HPIM2543.jpg

Turbos.
What brakes are on it, Porsche ones? Wheels are awful but the rest is nice!

I kind of wish i had an auto but i'm not sure if you can on the JCW. The manual is fine to use, but this recent weather has meant i've been stuck in long queues and for someone who has had semi-autos for a couple of years, a clutch now seems completely pointless!

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
What brakes are on it, Porsche ones? Wheels are awful but the rest is nice!

I kind of wish i had an auto but i'm not sure if you can on the JCW. The manual is fine to use, but this recent weather has meant i've been stuck in long queues and for someone who has had semi-autos for a couple of years, a clutch now seems completely pointless!

nah the R56 JCW BBK

http://www.minigenuineparts.co.uk/mini-parts/info_BM34.11.0.432.802.html

he only brought the wheels last week im not that keen they would look better Anthracite or black

and ye the car is full auto genuine JCW, the box takes a while to get used too, sometimes its silly slow at selecting a gear but other times everything flows amazingly its great when really pushing on

Tangoed Works
Looks awesome rob, liking the spec and nice to see the spoiler living on!

Good spec there, JCW wheel, Heated Recaros, Chrono Pack etc! Do you have JCW suspension on there or SS+?

Edit: just noticed the harman kardon and carbon dash... sexy! you can get a newman cam and mynes tune at 1320 autos for about £600 all in including RR set up. Should be pushing 240-250 bhp for that money. Will be up there with E46 m3's after that!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Well built cars.Well marketed.

Ive driven my mums new white turbo one and sorry,i still feel like a cross between alan carr and graham norton.

They just ooze the gayness.

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
Girls love them which makes it worth the slight gay image that some people think they have. The supercharged one is a better drive then the turbo'd one, and I the supercharger noise is awesome as it appraches then redline.

Didnt a writer on Piston Heads or Evo, i cant remember sell all his sports cars and now have one of these and thinks its the best car hes ever driven?

Turbos.
I neglected to mention the fact that one issue is that being in hot hatch again means i am faced with every other guy in a Civic Type R and the like trying to bait me! I had a red one catch me unawares the other night, whilst a Focus ST seemed a bit on the slow side.

Got to say, i am tempted with the engine mods because relatively speaking it's a lot of power for not much outlay. Most tuners don't really refer to the JCW so i was wondering if there was anything out there.

The options are insane Jay, i believe the dash is about £800. It also has all the external carbon bits that are another few hundred quid! I want to get matching downtubes to go with the dash but i can't find any for sale. They are listed in the Works catalogue though.

No idea on the suspension, is the JCW suspension red? If so i don't think i have it.

Facelift R53 Cooper S
Nice lil review...

I love my MCS, its not a JCW, but its fairly high spec (although i wish i had the chrono pack like yours has)

They are very marmite, people either rate them or throw abuse at you along the lines of being gay/estate agent/hair dresser...

Here's a crap pic of mine lol

user6182pic248112601925.jpg

Facelift R53 Cooper S
Yeah it is a Stag, its in a bit of a state though lol

My mates dad is going to restore it at some point

You can see it on the right in this pic

user6182pic248212601925.jpg

Crap quality as it was taken on my Phone

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Cracking cars, had one on order before I drove a 172. The Works are incredible value now. 2nd gen has the better engine, but everything else is better (for my tastes) with the 1st gen. Great buy.

Tangoed Works
Cracking cars, had one on order before I drove a 172. The Works are incredible value now. 2nd gen has the better engine, but everything else is better (for my tastes) with the 1st gen. Great buy.

Dont know where this idea that the 2nd gen has a better engine comes from. It gives more mpg but is more fragile than the first one which has forged rods and pistons fitted as standard.

Also doesnt sound anywhere near as good (not including whine). My friend has a mapped (207hp) R56 S and apart from the odd woosh and louder bangs, on throttle it sounds like an ordinary engine that revs quicker.

All around though its all good fun. Had blast round the M25 yesterday and when joining motorways the pull is so strong with this cold weather its awesome.

Rob, get yourself over to minitorque.com, there is infinitely more info about tuning. In all honesty the JCW package was no where near worth the £4k cost they were new. You can get nearly 200hp with a pulley and airfilter with a normal S.

The JCW however is the smoother drive. You will prob find more mpg with a remap under normal driving conditions as the JCW map is pretty rich as standard.

There is someone running 285 bhp on there, but Mynes has just come over from the states to 1320autos to set them up with their mapping software. May well see some pushing over 300hp with standard bottom end and M45 charger with the new tune.

After that, the charger is the limiting factor.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I preffer the turbo. Prefer the power delivery, prefer the fact it doesn't sound like it's hurting when approaching the redline.

All things considered, I'd much rather have a gen1 car though.