ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mini JCW Review

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I just can't like it.

Dad's old Cooper S (albeit a VERY early one) was such a horrendous car to own the thing put me off them for life, even if it was a great drive the bloody thing consistently tried to self destruct.

But thats some spec and im sure we just had a bad one.

My mate binned his rear seats and its far more usable.

Enjoy!

Brilliant, i had one, which was also very high spec, had everything on it apart from nav, heated leather, pan roof etc. Mine had the JCW power upgrades done after market tho, still was a right fun little car!

P9122950dxfgsdfg.jpg

Looks pretty smart Rob. I'm a 'hater' though if you like, I've never really liked them, so much so that ages ago two old mates with them got annoyed at me & let me drive the pair of them in a bid to change my mind (they were normal s's though) From memory, I found them better than I thought they'd be, but I can't get past the image of them.

I spent ages a while ago looking over some JCW ones as my old dear wanted one, I quite liked what I saw tbh (my old dear would have loved them) saw a nice black one, but it was priced silly.

I like the way they mod up though & the spec of yours, esp the seats ! (it seems to be very loaded with stuff) I like the areo kit on it, especially as the sills are colour coded (I hate normal black sills) Like I say though I just find them that bit too 'girly' But you like it, so that's what matters.

Enjoy it mate:)

Turbos.
Yeah, you would have to be mad to pay that new.

As i've reiterated and demonstrated with the Smart, a car looking gay or not isn't much of a big deal to me, it is annoying getting attention from yoofs though.

Tom, they had issues but then we're on a Clio forum. I've had problems with all cars i've had from varying manufacturers, so personally as long as it has a warranty, i'm happy!

I remember seeing yours on PH Shofi, looks good and i thought about giving you a call! Wanted the OEM route ultimately though...

Haven't had a chance to drive it much but hopefully i'll have an idea on whether it's a keeper or not soon.

PH1 V6
My opinion of the S Works and Mini's in general wasnt great until the recession hit and my dads business started to struggle so he traded in his Audi S5 and needed to get something fun but save money at the same time!

He got a 58plate JCW in white with a Blue stripe down the middle (i have NEVER seen another like it). It was ex demmo at a few motor shows (sat on stands etc) and covered only 2600 miles. He got the dealer to bash it down to 21k with the full 3 years free servicing pack etc.

Now as for the drive it is extremely good. Runflats make it VERY bumpy down country roads but seriously once you forget about that it goes like a bat out of hell. 18" muilti spoke JCW alloys look great, brakes are bigger than the previous JCW (only slightly) but they stop like no tomorrow.

Overall really impressed with it and so is he. You make a healthy saving on the previous shape model aswell, like shown on this thread. Only difference is that is supercharged wheras the new ones are turbocharged. Not sure why they changed that.

Great little car tho

Turbos.
The new JCW has Brembos, and it's one mod i'd like to do to mine. I won't though! I'm thinking of selling it, as i don't really need a practical car as i have the Smart for runs to the office. Might go for another VX220 in the Summer.

320d
I've always had a soft spot for MCS's. It looks superb to be fair.

I like how you can get big power out of them for a small amount of money.

The works is 210 bhp already iirc so it must shift.

MCS R56
Clubman, an abomination of a car that thing.

I cannot understand who sets out to buy these

True, proper WTF stuff!! And the coupe and SUV things they are trying to flog are worse!

The Mini is a great car, especially in JCW it would appear but I cannot get with the looks and the Fisher Price interior. I'm not into 'funky' cars! I'd have one over a Fiat 500 though! These should only be sold to the female species.

MCS R56
My opinion of the S Works and Mini's in general wasnt great until the recession hit and my dads business started to struggle so he traded in his Audi S5 and needed to get something fun but save money at the same time!

He got a 58plate JCW in white with a Blue stripe down the middle (i have NEVER seen another like it). It was ex demmo at a few motor shows (sat on stands etc) and covered only 2600 miles. He got the dealer to bash it down to 21k with the full 3 years free servicing pack etc.

Now as for the drive it is extremely good. Runflats make it VERY bumpy down country roads but seriously once you forget about that it goes like a bat out of hell. 18" muilti spoke JCW alloys look great, brakes are bigger than the previous JCW (only slightly) but they stop like no tomorrow.

Overall really impressed with it and so is he. You make a healthy saving on the previous shape model aswell, like shown on this thread. Only difference is that is supercharged wheras the new ones are turbocharged. Not sure why they changed that.

Great little car tho

Better performance/mpg I'd suspect. (cost related)

VaVa
Out of interest, Rob, what tyres are you using?

Got the Pirelli runflats on the mrs Cooper (has the 17" minilite replicas and 'sports' suspension - I think!) and the ride is awful. Very hard and crashy, tramlines even on relatively smooth roads. Need to change them next time round but worried about letting her loose without spare lol

ST
Stef..

I've got the same Pirelli run flats on my 06 works, they are utter pisch!!

Mine is on works suspension which doesn't make it very drive-able on the rough roads in and round about Glasgow city centre...even on the motorway it needs constant correction from slight cambers and change in road surface.

Tangoed Works
If you have the standard "s" lite alloys (minilite style) these are the heaviest standard mini alloys. Combine this with heavy run flat rubber will probably mean your shocks are on their last legs.

I would get new shockers and either 215/40/17 or 205/45/17 rubber in non flat spec will be the way forward. Combine this with an alignment and you will be a lot better. The front wishbone bushes go easily as the front set up is similar to rwd bmw's and cannot stand up to lots of power through the front.

I got superflex poly bushes from 1320 autos fitted for 175£ supply and fit. Tightens up the front no end and much sharper steering as a result.

VaVa
Stef..

I've got the same Pirelli run flats on my 06 works, they are utter pisch!!

Mine is on works suspension which doesn't make it very drive-able on the rough roads in and round about Glasgow city centre...even on the motorway it needs constant correction from slight cambers and change in road surface.

Sounds very familiar does that, pal lol.

I'm under the impression that as part of an options package (how f**king confusing are the options?! There's 1 million million of them lol), picking the 17" S lite wheels (thanks Jay!) you got upgraded suspension. It's certainly much firmer than my 172 on Eibach Pros.

VaVa
If you have the standard "s" lite alloys (minilite style) these are the heaviest standard mini alloys. Combine this with heavy run flat rubber will probably mean your shocks are on their last legs.

I would get new shockers and either 215/40/17 or 205/45/17 rubber in non flat spec will be the way forward. Combine this with an alignment and you will be a lot better. The front wishbone bushes go easily as the front set up is similar to rwd bmw's and cannot stand up to lots of power through the front.

I got superflex poly bushes from 1320 autos fitted for 175£ supply and fit. Tightens up the front no end and much sharper steering as a result.

Thanks for that mucker. I'll look into it.

Sorry for the hijack Rob - Car looks like a beaut. Great spec too. Not a fan of the wheels or the chicken wire, but the seast look amazing!

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
I NEED THAT STEERING WHEEL IN MINE!

IF you sell up Rob, let me know. Im trying to find one with cruise and stereo controls.

ST
I NEED THAT STEERING WHEEL IN MINE!

IF you sell up Rob, let me know. Im trying to find one with cruise and stereo controls.

Have you joined any of the mini forums mate?

There's an alcantara JCW wheel here for sale: http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f229/jcw-steering-wheel-8012/

Tho the particular guy who's selling the wheels is a bit of a f.anny when it comes to sealing the deal, i was going to take his 18" works wheels off him for a swap + cash his way, me driving to near enough Ipswich from Glasgow and at the last min he decided he wanted to sell the wheels 'more local'..

306 GTI-6
Looks in good nick, and am sure its a nice example to drive and everything else, BUT

I could never own one as I just couldnt bare to sit in that awful interior for longer than 5 seconds. iHate the interior with a passion, the dials, centre console, door cards are all hideous i think.

Tangoed Works
sports suspension plus came as a part of the chilli pack iirc. also xenons and a few other bits.

alan you after those R95's? I think that guy you tried to buy the wheels of was going to get news ones than he found out the new ones he wanted wouldnt fit with his bbk.

ST
sports suspension plus came as a part of the chilli pack iirc. also xenons and a few other bits.

alan you after those R95's? I think that guy you tried to buy the wheels of was going to get news ones than he found out the new ones he wanted wouldnt fit with his bbk.

Wouldn't mind something other than the 17's ive got on mate, thinks i'm gonna go for some BBS reps...

ST
Looks in good nick, and am sure its a nice example to drive and everything else, BUT

I could never own one as I just couldnt bare to sit in that awful interior for longer than 5 seconds. iHate the interior with a passion, the dials, centre console, door cards are all hideous i think.

LAWL...you drive a 306!! :lolup: Hardly the up there with Audi or Merc in terms of refinement and quality!!

tiTTy & SV650
I agree with him Alan the interior styling is nasty, not saying anything about quality. I've thought that since I first sat in a BINI in 2003

Last edited:
  VaVa
I think the design is pretty cool. But in terms of practicality it doesn't actually work all that well imho.

And I'm not convinced on the build quality, either. Maybe the one I bought is an exception, but the dash squeaks and creaks and it's not exactly top grade plastics. The ones without the chrome pack look even worse tbh.

Still... when the conditions are right, even with 'only' 115bhp, it's a great car to drive. I imagine the CooperS/JCW, with a decent amout of power, could be a weapon on the right road. I love the steering weight too. Nice chunky steering wheel and heavy steering. How it should be imho.

Has nowhere near the front end bite of my 172, but that may be down to the tyres. Much quicker to understeer than my Clio.

One things for certain though, in terms of pure driving pleasure, image it's in a different league to the old mk3 Clio it replaced. But strangely not build.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
They are lovely cars to drive, as you said, the steering is nice and heavy and very pointy.

The run flats ruin the ride for me at the mo, its terribly crashy on fairly good roads, cant wait to get them off.

Going to be fun when mines up to about 220bhp. It pulls well now, and its only got about 165

VaVa
Yup.. I'd read about the runflats before I bought it, but was conscious that these things are often over-emphasised on forums etc... but they really are that bad lol. I thought the suspension was broke the first time I drove it lol.

260% JCW
Got a R56 Cooper S, they are great fun to drive and are fairly rapid. Run flat tyres are complete rubbish, Like driving on 4 jellys. Cant wait to get shot of them.

One thing is its alot easier to get some good power hikes out of the Cooper S. Cooper S and Clio sport, Similar cars IMO just do things slightly differently.

Tangoed Works
Thing with the Clio rs is that it is spot on out of the box. My 182 could be driven on the limit all the time anywhere. Lack of torque low down helped with that as it was less likely to spin up. Only after 45k miles did it start to feel softer where the shocks were wearing out.

Buying a 2nd mini 3-5 years old will mean you haven't had the benefit of feeling how it felt brand new so it's hard to know what you need to do to make it better.

Track width at the front is virtually identical to the rear which isn't ideal. Some people run et37 on the front and et40 on the rear. This equates to a 12mm wider track at the front which will help with understeer.

The standard mini also runs no negative camber at the front and is not adjustable. Fitting fixed or adj camber plates will help no end. I have fixed ones at -1.25 going on soon and these also have z4 bearings pressed in so will make the front end feel more solid and wear less.

As said previously fitting upgraded front wishbone bushes will make the biggest difference pound for pound. The mini set up is like that of a rwd Beemer and the front bushes are not designed to take significant power. Failures after 20k miles are not uncommon. If you Jack the car up and tighten a wheel bolt if the wheel rocks slighty side to side, you know they are worn.