ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mini Works

Tangoed Works
Haven't posted on here in ages but thought I would share some details of my car. Used to have a 182 which I loved immensely but it was stuffed in the rear. My goal was to make this handle better than my 182 and to be fair it has taken a while to get there. The balance through the corners now is immense and turn in unreal. There are still some final tweaks to go but more just for fine tuning the overall balance.

Engine work is on the list, but not an absolute priority. The car is so much fun to drive as it is now and the thing that I best like when compared to my clio is that even though it will be 8 years old next year, it still feels and drives like new!

Spec- stock 210 JCW

KW V1
Eibach 25.4mm front bar 19mm rear bar
New ball joints
Poly wishbone, arb, engine mount, rear arb & rear trail arm bushes
Works GP rear alloy trail arms
Michelin PE2
OZ Super T (not the lightest but designed for the pot holes etc so they dont
Bend)
Recaro lightweight seats
Works GP flat undertrays
JCW Roof Spolier

Plans are, adjustable roll bar links, roll centre spacers, lightweight 2 piece BBK.

Some pics

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_1838.jpg

88d46f7a.jpg

8188d7cb.jpg

IMG_1289.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg

Last edited:
  Tangoed Works
Love that mate. The orange cheapens it though IMO.

Fairplay mate, to be honest its just a bit of fun, I think cars on the road nowadays need it. Too many boring barges floating about and I think the mini just about gets away with it :p

Also with the addition of key parts and the removal of others, there is approx 50kg weight saving.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Mega kudos mate! That's taken a lot of work and money!

How's the Mini Gp in comparison to the normal jcw's? Handling wise?

Tangoed Works
^^ worth every penny to be fair. Just tried to keep it useable for the roads so you can have fun, enjoy some comfort, tunes have the roof open and cruise etc. Cant be dealing with losing door cars etc as I don't really do track... although I may have a blast once the chassis has been fully set up and I have the BBK.

Tangoed Works
Mega kudos mate! That's taken a lot of work and money!

How's the Mini Gp in comparison to the normal jcw's? Handling wise?

Well when I got this car it had 18" wheels, run flats, heavy sparco seats (think you have the same ones in your FRP) trimmed in leather.

The wheels only saved around 2kg per corner over the JCW GP set up (mine had JCW wheels from new), but this was noticeable in itself. However the heavy alloys had totally ruined the wishbone bushes and ball joints. I didnt know this and just thought the car was s**t as standard lol. It had 40k on the clock when I picked it up.

Through much reading and picking up bargains, it is so sweet now it is unreal. Left right transitions, sweeping bends with ruts etc... it just takes it all in its stride. Losing the back seats and sticking in the poles made a massive difference. these seats weigh like 7kg each compared to the stock which are 25kg or so a side.

The rear arms however... WOW... believe people when they talk about losing unsprung weight. The whole front and rear feels to work in tandem together now. before there was a slight disconnect. This is why the JCW GP must get rated so highly. However I wanted my specification, so I have the harmon kardon, body kit that wont scrape when lowered, panoramic roof, xenons, climate control etc... all this you wont find in a GP.

The GP has better mapping and a larger IC, but this can be added easily. I love them all, but you know how it is when you want something done for to your own spec.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Really like this bar the orange dash. Other than that I love it!!

Whisker biscuit

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Flamer
Not a fan of crazy coloured wheels but it works well on the mini. I would CC the arches and ditch the silver inserts in the rear bumper and be pretty much happy with the exterior :)

120d M Sport
Sounds like its very cleverly put together that, using a mix of the right OEM and aftermarket bits. Good to see you made something decent of it rather than just dismissing it as not very good handling.

Mk5 golf gti
Fapping love it.

i think as standard the handling is awesome and i only have a standard cooper.

Tangoed Works
Sounds like its very cleverly put together that, using a mix of the right OEM and aftermarket bits. Good to see you made something decent of it rather than just dismissing it as not very good handling.

Cheers guys. Yes, it did have a lot to live up to as the RS 182 is something else out of the box. Again that car responded well to lightweight seats & carbon bonnet. The mini is a good chunk heavier than the clio, think around 50kg or so but its holding up pretty well in comparison. I think another benefit of the clio is that as it is NA, you can get on the power a lot earlier without upsetting the balance of the car due to less torque at lower rpm.

The clio is such an easy car to drive out of the box and can flatter any driver. With more torque, you need a bit more self restraint before jumping on the loud pedal. I think when the clutch goes I will stick a diff in and hopefully that will improve things even more.

Tangoed Works
Haven't updated this in a while.

I managed to get the car colour coded to finish the exterior (still need to do the rear bumper inserts). New bonnet scoop that works a lot better than the bbr on there previously. Intercooler is always cold and car more responsive. Camber plates, 4-1 equal length manifold, refurbd kw's and lots more I can't remember just now.

Its just stupid on the bends now. My pe2's are coming to the end of their life so may try conti sc 5 next as its newer technology compared to the michelins.

E4949E54-78DA-42C4-8A66-76195043BEF2-2491-000001FB668D35AF.jpg

df7c33f4.jpg

c1ebeab4.jpg

quick sound of the mani with the stock jcw exhaust, best of both worlds. Silent off throttle and rally esq above 4k. Will hopefully get nice pics and vids with a Dslr when the weather is better.

[youtube]caNotqStWIc&sns=em[/youtube]

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome mate, the whine still gives me a hard on and I've not owned and R53 for a year and half!

But it isn't a ph1 172 worth £800 so its obviously sh*t.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I'm not going to hi-jack the boys thread for an argument about you calling me a r****d so why don't we just leave it at that and try and act like grown up's?

Tangoed Works
Over the fact you don't like my car?

Hows yours running now mate? I know the previous owner used to look after his cars like gold. I would love a jcw clubman to put V2 KW on and some pole positions but so many people are having grief with the psa lump even stock. Its Crazy.

Tangoed Works
Found another vid from Scotland pre camber plates and a few other bits.

[youtube]QHhXPZJX9ts&sns=em[/youtube]

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Hows yours running now mate? I know the previous owner used to look after his cars like gold. I would love a jcw clubman to put V2 KW on and some pole positions but so many people are having grief with the psa lump even stock. Its Crazy.

Having an absolute mare mate, 100%. In under warranty again at the minute for a misfire and starting issues. The R56 lump is undoubtedly the biggest pile of sh*te ever. Previous owner really did look after it aswell, I've just been really unlucky. I'm waiting for all the issues to be sorted so it is spot and I can sell it. Really has ruined my time with it which is a shame because on the rare occasions it works I love it.

Clubmans are awesome but I just couldn't recommend anyone to buy one because of the problems I've had. I can't wait for a couple of years down the line to see how reliable the new BMW only engines are. Hopefully they will get our confidence back!

Megane r26
Only just seen this thread, glad you put one together as I was keen to see your motor after seeing your avatar picture.

Looks good matey, I always had a soft spot for these minis. When I worked for stratstone I worked on plenty of these as we used to sell loads. Used to love driving them, always thought they were a right hoot.

What sort of mpg do you get out of it?