ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mitre saw recommendations

Dog Nonce

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I'm going to have to buy a mitre saw for when I'm doing the garage roof and decking. I saw this one in B&Q which I thought was cheap, as it's £240 in MachineMart. Does anyone have any other ideas? I don't want to spend a fortune on something which will barely get used, but also don't want to buy some cheap s**t that breaks after 2 cuts

DSC_6872.JPG
DSC_6871.JPG

If you're absolutely convinced you need one, and will only need it for a short period of time - why not hire one instead?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I bought one of the cheap screw fix £60 jobbies recently to a) chop up loads of decking and b) to cut the new composite.

It seems robust enough, but I’m left with about a 10mm bit uncut on the underside of decking. Can’t tell you what to go for, but I’d avoid this for decking cutting.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm going to have to buy a mitre saw for when I'm doing the garage roof and decking. I saw this one in B&Q which I thought was cheap, as it's £240 in MachineMart. Does anyone have any other ideas? I don't want to spend a fortune on something which will barely get used, but also don't want to buy some cheap s**t that breaks after 2 cuts

View attachment 1518622View attachment 1518623
I have a variant of that, had it years, it’s done some proper work. But check the maximum timber size.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Bought an evolution one myself few years ago when I did the garden. Used it loads since so was defo worth buying.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member

I’ve been using this one for a few months, seems decent. Swivels in both directions, can plunge and slide cut.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I bought a cheapy years ago that didn't slide. Made it useless for so many things.

So my contribution is buy one for future jobs rather than just the current one

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I had the evolution and with their blade it's great for cutting metal too which is obviously not what you're after.

For metal the run out is ridiculous and the cuts are not great but for wood it's absolutely spot on.

The slide function worked well too and it doesn't take up too much room as it compacts nicely.

Screwfix is the cheapest I could find it at the time.

I ended up taking it back though because the metal chips got inside the laser housing so wasn't fit for purpose. I took it back and got a small one that just does mitre cuts and doesn't slide as I didn't need anything else for cutting metal now and again.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
The one I bought for work. Expensive as f**k but needed a long reach as the ducting I use is 300mm

The one I have that came out of my own money...😂😂

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
I bought a cheap single bevel (Evo) and then regretted not getting a sliding double when I came to do skirting. I ended up going for something decent the second time round and the biggest I could ever need for a house project (12"). I bought second hand, so it won't be worth 50p if I get rid of it.

I went for a BOSCH GCM 12 SD Professional. You can pick them up for around £300-£350 and it'll be worth that all day long if you sell it.

One downside, it's f**king huge.

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
I bought a cheap sliding evolution saw from screw fix, great for diy, shite for continuous work. I went through 3 in 3 months whilst my big saw was being fixed, credit to screw fix tho they just swapped them!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
My dad has one of these which I borrow when needed:

1612097343867.png

Properly solid, but weighs a ton. I think £6-700 10 years ago but you can find them used on eBay for £150ish. Gives really decent cuts.

We have an Evolution at work and for the money its brilliant, with the right blade it also does various metals which is very handy - give a nice cut and has a sturdy chassis. If I was buying for my self just for wood I would get the Evolution + the table.

Last edited: