ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK1 172 - £25 induction kit solution!

Total cost - approx. £25.00 (and it shows! At least it works though...)

1x discounted K&N Vauxhall Carlton air filter(£10)

1x 70mm "Green" air ducting tube (£11.99 - extortion, Halfords style)

2x Cold air tubes (Came with K&N)

1x Packet of cable ties

1x pair of hands (soon to be shredded to pieces)

Performance tested before and after with AP22 up to 60mph. Approx. 0.1 seconds quicker with induction kit. However, thats not the point. On half throttle, the car is about as quiet as before. On full throttle is sounds GRRRRRRRRREAT!

Im going to replace the silver pipe with some decent silicone hose (when I can bloody find some to buy) and hopefully have a heat shield constructed to ensure all the air sucked in is from the front bumper.

The pics:

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1059770384__stuff.jpg

1. Remove current airbox (sounds so easy...). Cut hands and arms to shreds getting the existing air feeds out. I used a size 13 spanner on the bolt located out of sight on a plastic bracket. Make sure you re-secure the alarm horn things afterwards :oops:. Do not expect to get to this stage without spilling your blood.

See the Renault airfeeds in the pic below, along with a panel that I removed so that I could get a second bumper feed in.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1059770874__Induction_MK1.jpg

2. Feed a couple of air duct tubes (mine are 60mm and 40mm I think) from below the car up through the engine bay and secure with a couple of cable ties. The second airfeed wasnt installed when I took the first of the pics below. It sits next to the one you can see in the pic. Took a fair bit of fiddling around to get two pipes to fit, and both have different routes through the engine bay.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1059771298__airfeeds1.jpg

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1059771391__airfeeds2.jpg

Since the pic above, I have moved the shinier of the two pipes back a bit so it cant be seen.

3. Attach 70mm ducting to inlet manifold and stretch through engine bay to K&N filter, cunningly located in front of the battery. This allows airflow from below the car up into the place where the filter is located. The vents on the front of the mk1 172 are where the original cold air feeds pick up from, so you get a bit of extra cool air for free. Secure with jubilee circlip things and cable ties.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1059769531__Induction_MK1_005.jpg

Cheap and cheerful, but it sounds great and doesnt damage performance like simply bolting an IK on.

If anyone wants more info, do let me know.

Rhys

Yup, the hosing just pushed over the IK outlet and is secured with a jubilee clip. Its all very solid and better held together than what was there before!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Good move Rhys...

Me & the lad with the mk1 have just been in the pub and were discussing the induction kit on his 172 and trying to come up with solutions!

This is one, but were gonna fabricate a heatshield come airbox thing for it and try that we reckon.

Wayne - its just got a funny little pipercross thing that came with an old random induction kit I bought (last Halfords sale!). Looks like some wire wool tightly compressed. Just attached this to the hose and shoved it down to the bottom of the engine bay.

Rich - get pics of what you come up with. Would be interested to see it. Have a look for Flying Scotsmans contraption. Is that what you have in mind? Reason I did it this way was to keep the induction sound. Im going to block off the route to the hot air with a heat shield. Will try it out at York to test it properly.

S2000

I know the ones you mean Rhys, thought it might be just that I couldnt see it in the pic so had to ask :)

Wicked idea, have you thought of contacting a
alloy pipe supplier and get
polished alloy pipe the same shape as the ducting pipe you have used
in pic the engine bay

i have started looking for a supplier

should not be that expensive to make a look wicked
could go for stainless steel tubing and a massive filter

BMW 320d Sport

LOL thats quality! Why did no-one think of that before? Or maybe they thought it and didnt do it? Anyway glad to hear that its working. All you need now is one of the headlamp air ducts that the Clio Cup racers use.

I want to replace the 2 small airfeeds from under the car with 1 big one and some sort of scoop to direct as much air as possible up the feed pipe. Heat shield on its way. Will probably costg a fortune by the time I finish. I fancy one of those massive piperx foam filters! Wait for next clear out I suppose.

@Rhys

I would put some heat resisting foil on your ´aluminum inlet´ if you drive like 10 miles the engine is hot. The air into the K&N will be cold but if this filtered air has to go this long way into the TB it will be higher in temperature I´m sure. Maybe something to look at.

fYI : Renault Sport also provides carbon airbox with 70 mm inlet (Clio RS mk3) I will send some picks l8er

cheers

Tonykart - Im after some silicone hosing, rather then trying to insulate the current hose. Ive just today added an aluminium heat shield over the filter. The whole set up has definitely improved the performance of the car (tested before during and after with AP22).

And yes, lets have a look at this 70mm inlet airbox.

Rhys

@neil 185 bhp, pics are on the net try search for it, stats would be faster than a 172.

@ rhys I have a coneshape reddish (K&N in my opinion) inside my airbox. There are two 70mm inlets in it, and I made a 60 mm direct cold air intake from under the car. I will put pics on the net soon. Maybe even tonight or surely tomorrow.

cheers