ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1-172 into Cup does go.....

I have been a member of this site for a while now and I have read many discussions on the unique benefits and improvements the clio cup has over the regular common-or-garden 172 :)

Now the MAIN difference between the two is the weight. The cup is 90-odd kg lighter than the normal 172 and (as well as the tweaks to the chassis) this makes it quicker.

So then.......

I have a Mk1 172 and one Sunday morning I did the following....
1, removed the spare wheel and the tools in the middle
2, removed the complete rear seat (top and bottom) and the parcel shelf
3, completely removed the passenger seat

WHAT A LAUGH !!!!

Now I dont know how much lighter the car was but it was f*ckin quick I CAN tell you that.

The fact that the rear end was lighter than helium made the cars ability to lift-off-oversteer even better, plough into a corner, front end poised and completely faithfull, back off the throttle sharply, turn in and involuntarily smile as the rear end of the car pops over your right shoulder to say hello before you counter the slide with a turn of the wheel, plant the throttle and drag the car away down the road ready to repeat the same process at the next corner.

Seriously folks, if you have half an hour to spare on a day off, take my advice and lose the dead weight, if you dont like it you can always put it back in but I fear like me, you will be making up excuses left right and centre to keep the car at fighting-weight :)

Have fun and be safe.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

The spare wheel and tools are already out.. didnt have the guts to rip the seats out though..

Revels Mum & Sister

I done the same with my 16V

Took the spare wheel out. Back seats and bench, Sub and 2 amps. Also the passenger seat.

Went like a f**king b*****d. Although some of it is in your mind I reckon!!!

Quote: Originally posted by 172man on 17 February 2003

weight is the enemy of acceleration ............
.......... and tourqe is accelerations best friend :)

Quite mad that really,....... all my girlfriend does is talk and shes a fat b*tch :)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

I did this with one of my R5 GTTs, but went a LOT further...

Basically stripped the thing bare as it was a trackday car, so no need for any extras in there. Ended up with just 2 seats, harnesses, etc... and only essential items.

When Id done the car sat really high on the suspension as I must have removed a hell of a lot of weight. Brakes were much better too.

Now, they only weight 830kg to start with, so God knows what the power-to-weight ratio was after Id stripped the thing.

Performance was mental though, as it was running about 1 bar of boost at the time and that is about 150/160bhp, so plenty of poke. :D

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I honestly took all my CD cases and all the crap out of my car .. dumb i know but they were rattling too.. so i thought fcuk it.

A friend of my recently bought an old toyota corrola twin cam 16V. Its been completely stripped, no dashboard, no door coverings, no sound insulation, no spare wheel, no rear seats, infact its just bare metal inside plus 2 racing seats. It has a induction kit and racing exhaust and is lowered. only has about 130bhp but wieghs about 700kg, looks completely standard on the outside, but this thing fing shifts.

Power to weight ratio is the important thing. Thats why the 172 will keep up with cars that have more bhp but weight so much more.

If you take the evo 1/2/3 these weight just over 1200 kg and have 240/250/260 bhp. Not too hard to get these motors to 300 bhp and an evo 3 will have 250 bhp/ton which should do most things on the road.

Same thing goes with the Metro Gti, stick a 1.8 k series in it with MGF throttle body/etc and you have a 160bhp engine in a car that weights jack all if you strip it down. It would certainly piss me off if I got wasted by a metro !