ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK1 Clio 1.8 16v Track/Daily N154 DAR

renault clio 1.8 16v
Hi my names Luke and ive had my 16 valver for a year now and progress has been slow but all good things come to those who wait right? maybe! anyway here a few pics to get you started of my project. The shell was in alot worse condition than under first inspection and had a heap of welding done to it, but thats all fixed now, the car is being stripped down and cleaned, painted and modified to suit my needs. Here are some pics showing just some of the bodywork im carrying out at the minute.

Attachments

• IMAG0246.jpg
    IMAG0246.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 140
  • IMAG0251.jpg
    IMAG0251.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 137
  • IMAG0257.jpg
    IMAG0257.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0361.JPG
    IMG_0361.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0362.JPG
    IMG_0362.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0364.JPG
    IMG_0364.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0363.JPG
    IMG_0363.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0365.JPG
    IMG_0365.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 125
  renault clio 1.8 16v
old radiator ripped out and a better new one to go in

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 100
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 94
  renault clio 1.8 16v
Next up will be door cards, these are made up front and rear just need need to get them covered and put in the car.

renault clio 1.8 16v
Im after a drivers side scuttle vent, heater blower motor resistor (BEHR version) and grommet on the tailgate for wiring into the cabin, anyone got all this for sale?

renault clio 1.8 16v
So today I tracked down my new blower motor resistor as it wasn't working at all when I got the car after diagnosing each part to track down the problem we finally found that the fuse box had every fuse in the wrong place and that the heater blower had tried to melt the cables going to the heater panel on the dash.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    940.8 KB · Views: 88
  renault clio 1.8 16v
Also the wiring going to the rear lights looked messy and untidy so I relocated the wiring through the quarter panels so they stayed out of sight in the rear of the car.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    585.8 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,004.5 KB · Views: 83
  renault clio 1.8 16v
Still working on the bodywork for this which Is taking an age but should be worth it in the end, been working on the inlet manifold and polishing the cam cover with a sanding disc and grinder to get the years of grime off it, will take a while to achieve a nice mirror shine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    853.1 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    829 KB · Views: 115
  renault clio 1.8 16v
I prepped the battey mount and sprayed it with red oxide primer ready for the full interior respray

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 99
  renault clio 1.8 16v
I filled in a small hole I had in the boot floor with aluminium mesh and a blob of tiger seal

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 117
  renault clio 1.8 16v
I tiger sealed up the holes from the last owners roll cage with aluminium mesh and tiger seal as well as the floor pan grommets as they were a little loose without it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 104
  renault clio 1.8 16v
Finally getting to a good stage to where the rear arches are starting to take shape now after many hours sanding and filling, I will be getting my cousin to do a full spray job on the car once he is free and when the car is mechanically ready

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,014.9 KB · Views: 115
  renault clio 1.8 16v
My speaker upgrade going in to replace the rubbish dash items
IMG_0466_1.jpg

I got my rollcage rubbed down and primered
IMG_2757.jpg

in primer
IMG_2759.jpg

in satin paint and laquer
IMG_2790.jpg

new water tank to replace my faded cracked one
IMG_2664.jpg

when i detarred the floor, thats a fun job isnt it, especially in the summer :(

IMG_2631.jpg

IMG_2637.jpg

IMG_2638.jpg

all cleaned up with white spirit
IMG_2640.jpg

front seat mounts
IMG_2633.jpg

my turbines that will be going on

IMG_2575.jpg

my stainless steel exhaust cat back before:
IMG_2536.jpg

after
IMG_2538.jpg

my seats and harnesses going in
_12.jpg

cleaned out the K&N oil filter
IMG_2450.jpg

IMG_2453.jpg

some out side shots of the old girl
IMG_2462.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

IMG_2464.jpg

IMG_2465.jpg

I cleaned up the interior and chucked down a primer layer on the interior
IMG_0465_1.jpg

IMG_0474_1.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

first base coat in capsicum red (renault code 727)
IMG_0475_1.jpg

IMG_0476_1.jpg

another coat
IMG_0477_1.jpg

the slam panel in primer
IMG_0471_1.jpg

base coat
IMG_0478_1.jpg

renault clio 1.8 16v
I have stripped down and refitted new rear brakes and with wheel bearings and cleaned and painted the calipers and dust covers. Now I got next week off work some serious work can happen.
Im currently fitting my doorcards made from some MDF and some black faux leather just to keep them cheap. I am now awaiting my delivery of parts which has been almost 3 weeks now and they come in the form of a full set of Gaz coilovers and some brembo front brake discs and pads. Im also hoping to have the car in paint by the end of the week and MOT'd at the same time. I shall let the pictures do the talking. also does anyone have any ideas down the best route for more power gains. I was thinking to either go the full N/A route and cam it with throttle bodies or just rebuild a turbo engine from another car and drop it in and do the usual of omex ecu/remap etc

renault clio 1.8 16v
well worth the buy makes life so much easier:

IMG_0632_1.jpg

also got made up a custom rear strut brace/spare wheel holder

IMG_0621_1.jpg

my rear brakes before:

IMG_0614_1.jpg

during

IMG_0636_1.jpg

nice new ones v old ones

IMG_0637_1.jpg

renault clio 1.8 16v
Well im not too sure I bought it off a lad up in Birmingham when he told me it was a cage for my car, got up there checked it out and brought it back and it didnt fit so i had some plates made up to bolt it in to make it fit, I was out of pocket by then and he lied about what car it was for. Its not quite a show cage as it has the correct fixing points, It looks to be out of a rs turbo. But it will do for now and will be replaced in the future with a safety devices one.

renault clio 1.8 16v
Day 1: I have been down to halfords and bought £100 worth of paint and materials for cleaning up the engine bay and various other areas that need addressing,

first off I finished off and installed my doorcards but I just have to source some grab handles for them and there complete.

IMG_0648_1.jpg

I then moved onto painting my relay box under the bonnet with satin black paint.

IMG_0646_1.jpg

whilst I was waiting for the relay box to dry between coats I prepped the engine and intake manifold ready for painting:

IMG_0647_1.jpg

also whilst that was happening I prepared and started to paint my scuttle panels as they were flaking abit:

IMG_0650_1.jpg

Then I moved onto painting the engine cover and inlet manifold with VHT Aluminium paint:

IMG_0655_1.jpg

In between all this I have waxoyl my rear arches and rear axle and maticulously cleaned and detailed my airbox ready for installation tomorrow ready for the car to start up so I can bleed the radiator system which hasn't been done since I installed the racing aluminium radiator.

renault clio 1.8 16v
this car is now for sale as I will be getting a company car and this is no longer a priority as Im saving for a mortgage and have a family car for the kids. Please get in touch for genuine offers as silly ones will be ignored.

I have spent over £2k in parts and have had all the welding and rust repaired professionally with replacement panels costing a total of £1300 (BOTH REAR ARCHES,SILLS,INNER FRONT ARCHES
NEW PARTS INCLUDE:
REAR BRAKES
OMP SUBFRAMES
REAR WHEEL BEARINGS
K&N AIR FILTER
CAT BACK EXHAUST
COBRA BUCKET SEATS WITH SABELT HARNESSES
SHOW CAGE
COMES WITH NEW BUT NOT FITTED GAZ COILOVERS £550
SPARE NEW FRONT BREMBO BRAKES DISCS & PADS
COMPLETELY WAYOYL'D and rust treated underneath
NEW HEADER TANK
NEW ALUMINIUM RACING RADIATOR
NEW BATTERY
NEW HEAD GASKET
NEW CAMBELT KIT
NEW WATER PUMP
NEW BONNET CATCHES
NEW SONY HEADUNIT (EDGE DASHBOARD SPEAKERS)
SET OF STEEL VALVER WHEELS (NEED A REFURB)
5X RENAULT TURBINES ALLOYS 4 OK CONDITION 1X NEED REFURB (WAS MY SPARE)
PAINTED SCUTTLE PANEL,ENGINE COVER,INLET MANIFOLD,SUSPENSION TURRETS AND FRONT CROSSMEMBER
The car has had alot of hours and money spent on it and all it needs now is a full respray to tidy it up and your own stamp to put on it.

Theres NO MOT OR TAX on the car and has been off the road for two years. but its starts first time everytime and engine is strong as well as clutch.
The car benefits from a low temp fan switch combined with a new header tank and bigger aluminium radiator so cooling is not a problem with this car anymore.

I've run out of time and money for it now and wish to keep it within the forums for someone to appreciate this great little car and make it stunning once again.
This is a very rare car now and are getting rarer by the day.

renault clio 1.8 16v
ok so as I had a few guys interested and one guy calling me from scotland about the car but never followed through with his offer I have decided to keep the car and will make sure it gets the treatment it so deserves. Once the car is all painted and done to that regard. I will be taking straight to the ehaust shop and having a s/s manifold made and fitted along with engine mounts and possibly a new weld in rollcage further down the line.

renault clio 1.8 16v
Its been a while since Ive done some decent updates as I've been busy with other parts of life as you do and also when you work on the car you just want to crack on and forget about taking pictures as its just slows you down. Also the fact I take my pictures with my iPhone which is a mission as my phone will not sync to my PC so I have send 5 pictures at a time to my email and then from my email I upload them to photobucket and then upload them to here.. :( so probably best I dig out a proper camera in the future. any way here you go:

To keep you guys updated and where Im at Ive been working on this project in drib and drabs over weekends for the the last two years and building it up from a shell. Ive had everything chucked at me including rust, mould, cracked windscreen, flat batteries, incorrect parts or poorly made parts thanks to certain suppliers that cant seem to make a pair of flipping matching indicators grrrrr....

I am now at the stage of having the entire car repainted in the original 727 capsicum red. I am just waiting on the painter to give me the go ahead. whilst in the mean time I am currently tieing up any loose ends and making the changes I want to make to the car before I make it my daily.

So first off I put some GAZ coilovers on as Ive had these in the past and they a great bit of kit for the money.

IMG_0842_1.jpg

and I replaced the poverty spec that was on the car : standard shocks on apex springs

IMG_0841.jpg

I then Set about sourcing some brand new headlights for the car and after discovering that euro car parts make all the parts I jumped at the chance to have them only to be told after a week of waiting for them they no longer had them even thought their website stated in stock grrrr... so after I re ordered else where I received just the indicators great you think, NOPE they didn't match and one was a tint of green with a pattern to the lens and the other looked clear with no pattern and look like a lexus lens.

after weeks of hunting finally JAYAR car parts really helped me out and I explained the situation and they found me a matching pair finally.

NEW FRONT END SETUP:

also needed a grill as I didn't have one on the car before:

IMG_0838.jpg

OLD vs NEW

IMG_0840.jpg

quick interior shot: ignore the damp traps :) lol its been a very wet winter....

IMG_0851_1.jpg

I then went on the hunt for a new front bumper for the car as the original has had a hard life and somehow both the front bumper mounts had been cut clean off:

So with the help of my father in law and some 3D magic we designed a new bracked based on the broken one and it works a treat. Its also strong and better made than before. And its bright yellow bonusss :)

IMG_0836.jpg

Getting it in position and trial fitting before I bond it down for life

IMG_0852_1.jpg

IMG_0856_1.jpg

IMG_0857_1.jpg

IMG_0855_1.jpg

and left to dry

IMG_0860_1.jpg

I also got my aero catches fitted and put back on the original hinge brackets and saftey wire stay.

IMG_0853_1.jpg

Because the car didnt have any carperts I bought some base black and red piping mats but found that they skid to much on the bare metal so I thought I would Evo stikking some Anti slip mat to the back of the front car mats to help prevent this.

IMG_0859_1.jpg

and also while the bumper was off I wanted to get my foglights pre mounted to prevent damage to the paint afterwards and I sourced the only set that would fit in the original holes in the bumper and It was a pair of Ring mircoline halogens with covers that I more importantly wanted to protect them from the elements and stones.

IMG_0837.jpg