ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK1 Clio Hybrid

williams and trophy
is there an f4r powered mk 1 thats running regularly and reliably??

id think not as far as the forum news goes tbh.

hybrid mk1 has goty to be a f7d valver.....simple to install, simple to get runnning, simple to get more power out of..

a 2.0 f7 can be had for minimal outlay, minimal costs on install, and is a better engine imho. show me a 172 thats running book figures....for which there are none in my experience, and then maybe il change my mind.

williams and trophy
talking out of your arse again. I dont know why i'm dignifying this with a reply. The F4R IS a superior engine. It DOES make more power, more torque and is more reliable. Low outputs are normally down to faulty assembly, the example you gave being the perfect case study....the cam timing was out by a MILE

but what you know on these engines is minimal at best.

i mean u were singing the praises of the s/c beast for a long time, as was i until i had to drive it at anything other than flat out, but after that i realised just how sh1t it was....in my opinion ur experince/knowledge counts for nothing....youv worked for w*****s, that are coming to the front now to be classed as the inept dickheads they are.

i hope ur present employers are a bit better than your last.....but judging by the forums this isnt the case.

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
Sorry to continue this off topic debate. You might have a point, a strong cam'd williams will produce more than a sh*t F4R. Pretty sure my F4R is running around 165bhp-ish and can easily beat 182's and modded CTR's.

I have got a few teething problems with mine, but would have had similar problems going with a valver or willy lump. Hopefully i'll have a diagnostics plug fitted to help solve most typical problems and once everything is finished, it should make a pretty quick daily.

535d / t5 caravelle
so are they both the same in terms of outright performance? similar spec'd engines say, or standard

yes they are, the F4R makes more power initially (typically around 10-20 bhp) but the gains from cams and the like will produce near on the same results.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
is there an f4r powered mk 1 thats running regularly and reliably??
id think not as far as the forum news goes tbh.

The only things that have briken on mine are the original valver bits that were left over.

Fuel pump, washer bottle pump and a split rear brake line.

Everything else has been A ok!

williams and trophy
u must be one of the lucky ones....iv read threads on here with numerous btm ends needed, engines going fuked etc, etc etc.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
In my personal experience Renault Engines don't like being taken apart. Everybody i've known (Bear in mind I used to work for renault!) who has taken the engine apart and started fiddling has ended up having problems.

Mine has done 36,000 miles has FSH and will not be coming apart.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Can you link me to the post where your engine was producing 155 bhp please?

oh I'm sorry, I missed where he specified what power it should be. roids are going to your head again...

can you link me to your forum? oh no wait :dapprove:

u must be one of the lucky ones....iv read threads on here with numerous btm ends needed, engines going fuked etc, etc etc.

no? I see many 172s going strong

take a look on williamsclio or clio16v- countless threads about broken/not running F7s. It would get a little old if i went in to every one of those threads going LOLOL F7s ARE CRAP ALWAYS BREAKING LOL, wouldn't it

oh I'm sorry, I missed where he specified what power it should be. roids are going to your head again...

Well its is specified in the Renault hand book. I suggest you look it up, as you seem to be missing a bit of power.

Yeah sure, www.clio-williams.co.uk. Pitty you are banned.

take a look on williamsclio or clio16v- countless threads about broken/not running F7s. It would get a little old if i went in to every one of those threads going LOLOL F7s ARE CRAP ALWAYS BREAKING LOL, wouldn't it

So you fitted an f4R, at great expense and effort, and still it runs less power than my standard F7R. Sounds like you made the wrong decision, and tried to be too clever for your own good. I dont know many williams that are left alone that break. As above they tend to break when people with little knowledge try to mess with them. Like the valvers with f4Rs in that respect.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
oh stromba stromba stromba

if you don't think F7Rs break there is no hope for you. though i guess yours doesnt break because you never drive it

I would've suggested you taking a look at willyclio, but it seems you're banned :(

go back to teaching PE

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Stromba said:
As above they tend to break when people with little knowledge try to mess with them.

Stromba on his little forum said:
Ive changed the following:

Lambda
Leads
Plugs
CTS
ECU
Disi cap
Rotor arm

Still same symptoms. Poor idle, stalls a lot. Stutters and hesitates very badly when driving (undrivable).

:clown:

'92 172, Lotus Elise
p.s. I love how your forum has a dedicated 'detailing' section

thought you hated all those 'ive just washed my car' threads ;)

BMW M5 & E36
For the record, mine was 100% standard map. Cheapo cone filter which more than likely loses power, and seeing as the engine's not meant for that car, I couldn't exactly run a 'factory' 172 exhaust.

This is getting quite boring.

williams and trophy
In my personal experience Renault Engines don't like being taken apart. Everybody i've known (Bear in mind I used to work for renault!) who has taken the engine apart and started fiddling has ended up having problems.

Mine has done 36,000 miles has FSH and will not be coming apart.

i dunno....had mine apart when i rebuilt the meg btm end, new shells/mains/rings etc.

didnt have 1 spot of bother with it til the cams expoded 2 years later....thanks kent.....nice 1.

has been 4 years since that happened....still..running like a gd un.

spose it depends on whos messed with it ;)

williams and trophy

well..no not really....cos it isnt true is it??

the boxes go on them more than anything, other than that they are fukkin bullet proof. imho. and i drive mine hard from turn on to turn off......8 years of abuse in mine so far, and other than the cams destroying the top end i havent had 1 serious issue with it. barring the boxes, of which iv had 3 lol.

The f4r is the more reliable engine out of the two due to it being a revised version of the f7r. Renault wouldn't revise and replace an engine and make it worse. We all know that over time engines suffer bhp and performance due to worn parts etc. the Peugeot 206 gti for instance. Called the 180 for it having an output of 180bhp when in matter of fact only ever makes around 150bhp. Same with the f4r. The f7r doesn't belong to a car called a Clio 155. A healthy f7r mostly makes close or around it's given figures. Whereas the f4r can often make around 150-170 when connected upto a 172 manifold. Every cars engine is different so there is no "faster" or "more powerful" engine.

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
I don't know why but every time I see a thread in clio discussion. Theres never a discussion. Just a b**ch fight.

94' Valver F4R'd
This thread it brilliant!!
TBH the F7R F7P and F4R are all great engines but if I was to do a conversion I would go for the Willy Lump... :)

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
I'd always go for the engine that doesn't have a nasty habit of dropping valves - revised doesn't always mean better, in some cases revised just means cutting costs like renault have done with the 2 piece valves in F4's ;)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If I had my time again, I would have stuck with the Williams engine and had bodies fitted.

But back then I didn't know what I know now and I didn't know who I know now.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
If I had my time again, I would have stuck with the Williams engine and had bodies fitted.

But back then I didn't know what I know now and I didn't know who I know now.

I blame sideways danny for the engines I've had in mine, he just kept relentlessly taunting me with itb's until I gave in & bought some lol! And to top it off I've now gone & got a high compression F7R to go in

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Its just been a massive ball ache tbh mate. Nobody wants to work on it for a start, everyones scared of it because its a mix and match.

At leas if it was still a williams engine then I'd be able to find people who still have a passion to work on it. Plus the williams engine sounds 10 times better than a F4r! lol.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Want to come round and do my ph1 172 dash conversion then? Needs mating to the valver loom. Thats half mated to a valver loom already.