ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK1 F4R ITB - Ressurect PNX

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
looking very nice this motor :)

my ARB clearance is nothing more than a couple of mm lol

no knocking noises yet

HBT 172 Cup
Was right to suspect the dodgy souding cranking.

Cyl 1 = 170 psi
Cyl 2 = 170 psi
Cyl 3 = 170 psi.
Cyl 4 = 0 psi.

So low compression on 3 cydliners and none on the other.

Yup 0 psi, i dun goofed somewhere. FML

ITB'd MK1
Was right to suspect the dodgy souding cranking.

Cyl 1 = 170 psi
Cyl 2 = 170 psi
Cyl 3 = 170 psi.
Cyl 4 = 0 psi.

So low compression on 3 cydliners and none on the other.

Yup 0 psi, i dun goofed somewhere. FML

sucks :( sticky valve maybe or a rocker arm become dislodged?

HBT 172 Cup
Got the cam cover off, and it looks like the same as when i put it back together....fine? im tempted to just take the head off now.

ITB'd MK1
be a good idea to pressurise the cylinders through the sparkplug holes now the cams are out. might help you find where air's leaking before you pulll the head

HBT 172 Cup
Just put it back together and timed it up, cranking over by hand i can still feel no compression on the same cylinder, bit gutted if im honest.

Cranking it on the bolt by hand i can feel all the air leaking past the inlet valves on the compression stroke. So if it wasnt a stuck lifter i guess i poorly lapped a valve in, time to rip the head straight back off again :(

Dejavu..

DSC_0342.jpg

HBT 172 Cup
OK another update, so i pulled the cam cover off again to find one of the rocker arms on that cylinders inlet valves to be completely offline and sitting on the peak of the lifter....

So, i pulled the cams out, pulled spark plugs 1, 2 and 3 out leaving JUST plug 4 in the dodgy cylinder. So this tests for cylinder sealing capabilitys on completely shut valves.

It put up a fight and could feel plenty of tension in the ratchetno hssing or air leaking from any valves. SO seems this time the problem was theat lodged rocker arm but im going to do some more testing!

HBT 172 Cup
And finally we have compression on all 4 cylinders!

th_MOV00710.jpg

Now need to double check timing again, bolt everythiung down and away we go hopefully :)

DSC00709.jpg

Mk1 F4R
cars looking good shame about wot happend so far :dapprove:
im running the williams arb and i found it easier to put the downpipe in from the engine side just past the gearbox and seemed to go in fine

HBT 172 Cup
OK, so i wired my new crank sensor in, in the effort to get consistent error free trigger readings again (they most important sensor on the engine afterall). My soldering iron is so s**t making it impossible so i bought a new one, did the final bits of soldering and heatshrink'd it all up.

I wasnt actually going to work on the car today, i bought a battery on ebay on wednesday evening with next day delivery and it didnt turn up today... so was a bit gutted tbh.

THought f**k it ill rob my mums again just to get it running, got that lad out and smashed it in PNX, annoying as f**k to drag my computer outside aswell to check its all ok and working properly.

The setup... Computer on the deck loom all over the place

DSC00713.jpg

DSC00714.jpg

I was fooking delighted to see the RPM gauge on Megatune reading a perfect crank signal, so i quickly smashed on the injector plugs, and the coil pack, (all 3 coil pack wires twisted together by hand naturally bodgetastic :D)

Gave her a crank and couldnt believe my life when it flew into life with no hesitation at all, the idle was screaming away at about 2000rpm (i had adjusted the idle screw last weekened to help it start better).

Immediatley switched it off and adjusted the screw, idle is quite lumpy, i still need to retime the engine one last time. But anyway, the camera baffles the noise a bit, it honestly sounds wicked in real life, better than my old F7R on bodies IMO. I was shocked at hell well it revved up aswell (it used to bog on my F7R but it was never mapped to be fair),

Forgot to put on the camshaft oil seal end caps = oil f**king everywhere :D

DSC00717.jpg

Anyway the vids, they arent impressive, i have no coolant system linked up yet so any engine starts i have to keep brief to prevent damage. It sounds a lot better in real life trust me.

Very first start.... (nothing interesting)

th_FASTIDLE.jpg

Idle adjusted to around 1000rpm and a few little revs

th_LOWIDLE.jpg

Few more revs..

th_REV.jpg

Oil pressure was trough the roof and sat at a very high level on fast idle dont know how much exactly as i was jumping around like a kid at the time but it was more than the F7R aswell.

So to do.... Attach all bracketary, re-tape looms and complete valver loom. Attach a new throttle cable, MOT, Tax, Remap e.t.c

HBT 172 Cup
Hahah seeing as someone bumped it ill stick a few more photos in.

The car was actually trailored off to wales last night to be mapped for the weekend. i took it for a small drive beforehand and was gobsmacked at the torque/power even on a crappy base map. It has heaps more "punch" than my old tuned F7R on ITB's. i am a very happy bunny, and this will be a quick car :)

Pretty much the finished engine bay now, couldnt be bothered to tidy it further than this for now :p

BAYFINALLarge.jpg

Also buoght one of these and plumbed it straight into the ECU

wideband.jpg

side-1.jpg

HBT 172 Cup
ohhh my god you got vems running,
wanna flash mine with good software ill pay ya :D

Mate i wouldnt even want to attempt it messing around with VEMS is scary lol. I sold it in the end and bought a Canems ECU from 519autmotive, which is performing faultlessly.

HBT 172 Cup
Havent updated this for a looonnggg time, since the last update i killed a bottom end on track chuffing oil eveywhere, so rebuilt the bottom end, and things are now a bit more interesting with the addition of some catcam 421's. Its being mapped at Ktec on 8th June, think people may be interested in this as theres not a lot of results out there for Cat 421's and ITB's.

DSC01199.jpg

DSC01198.jpg

HBT 172 Cup
Its not mapped, but i have been driving it around a while with the cams, the surge of torque at 3.5 - 4k is substaintailly more (along with a savage bellowing noise), the top end doesnt feel massively faster if im honest, but thats what im hopeing the mapping will bring out.

HBT 172 Cup
Well results are in, perhaps not the best peak figure, but the car drives brilliantly and definately feels faster.

204.2bhp & 175ft lbs

POWER-TORQUE.jpg

Cro

Meg'd r27
Very very similar to my figures dude. What was it you said about the cams Danny?