ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1/Mk2 parts Compatibility

As the soon to be proud owner of a lovely new gleaming Black Mk2 (2002 model if that makes a difference) 172 Sport I was wondering about the compatibility of Mk1 products such as Exhausts, Induction kits, Lowering springs and Engine management Chips etc, etc.

All the ads Ive seen for the products mentioned above state "suitable 2000-". Im assuming that to mean 2000 onwards thus parts suitable for the Mk1 will also do the business for my Mk2. Thought Id better check with you lot first though.

Any Ideas or better still answers would be appreciated as Im itching to transform my new French Fancy into a screaming nutter of a car pretty much straight away.

Cheers.

Silver Fabia vRS

R0ach - I have a MK2 172 and am beginning to go down this modding route too. I only think a few parts that are made for the MK1 actually fit the MK2.

I am positive that a set of Tarox G88 front discs will fit on both MK1 and MK2.

Suspension wise Im not sure. Eibach make a set of 30mm lowering springs (which Im getting next week) which maybe for the MK1 but do fit a MK2.

Induction kits/air filters must be specifically for a MK2 as the filter box is different on a MK2; redesigned because of the hot water pipe issue on the MK1. I am going to get a BMC replacement air filter, probably next week too, and as far as I know is the only filter avaliable on the market.

Exhausts are possibly different between LATE MK1 and MK2, not too sure but I am going to get a custom Hayward and Scott system when I can afford it! There were differences between the early and late MK1 models, as some people discovered when putting Magnex systems on.

Chipping cannot be done on a MK2 yet as it has a drive-by-wire system i.e. no cable attaching it to the engine! If you look above the accelerator pedal (when you get it) you will see a connector with lots of wires attached which is fed directly into the ECU.

Bodykits are low on the ground at the moment but Im sure this will get more as the car gets older. Unless you want to get a custom one made!

Hope this helps you out a bit!
Geoff

Ford Focus 1.4 LX

I fitted as Ramair Suparam induction ki to my mk2 172, and as there was not one designed for it, i put the mk1 kit on. It fitted almost perfectly.

But yes the airboxes are different to filter elements for a mk1 will not fit in a mk2. mk1 uses a cyliner filter and the mk2 uses a flat panel-type filter.

Geoff - thanks for the info mate, much appreciated.

Looks like Ill have to content myself with Alloys, a spot of lowering and ICE for the moment then until suitable engine mods become available. Gives me time to save up for something special I suppose.

Cheers.

R0ach