ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 VTS project...

Gem

Racing Blue 182
Why are things never easy on a car Dave.....young grasshopper, you will never learn. The answer is because its a Saxo.......

*hides*

On a serious note, you have time, if not patience. Get it done lad and all the hassle will be worth it. :)

M

mini-valver

Right, started to take bits off last night to gte better access to the rack. It's right behind the inlet manifold which was a b**ch mother to get off as everything is in a stupily awkward place!

Either way, struggled on and it came off in the end!

Plenum, throttle body and all relevant wiring removed...
DSC00046.jpg

Inlet manifold, injectors and fuel rail removed leaving the rack exposed!
DSC00047.jpg

This is where most of the movement is coming from and where I "think" the knocking sound is coming from!

DSC00048.jpg

Took the track rod ends off the struts just but didn't take any pics, need to go and get a torx bit set as the rack uses T50's and mines snapped :(.
Hopefully be all back together and knock free later!

M

mini-valver

Nah lad, bought a PAS pump of the bay so just putting another PAS one on! It's got real man steering at the minute ;)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Ah cool! As for the current setup...

I could no worky it. DIRECTION FAIL.

Seriously though, it was ridiculous. lol

M

mini-valver

ARGH!!!! The f**king knocking.....

I've changed passenger wishbone and balljoint, drop link, top mounts, steering rack, springs and dampers. Take it to be tracked tommorrow and get them to but 2 rod ends on (They're seized solid, lol). There's nothing else it can be FFS!

Also, the left wheel whereI've changed the bottom arm, sits further back towards the sill than the drivers side. Is this common??

M

mini-valver

It's when I start to turn mate. Like half a turn on or off and it knocks. Theres was LOADS of play in the rack thats why I changed it and to be fair it feels loads more positive but STILL does that knock.

I changed an engine mount when it snapped but other than that, they're all fine as I had the other 2 off when I changed the box.

On a positive note I've sorted the crunch into 2nd, re-newed all the linkage bushes so the gear change is eally nice now.....

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
The uno knocked when turning as well mate, defo worth being 100% sure about them. Took us ages to work out what was wrong with the suspension.....................well it would do seeing as how it was the engine!!!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Oh and if 1 engine mount has snapped then it'll have put extra strain on the others which I bet arent as good as they used to be anyway.

M

mini-valver

Good point mate! I'll get a new dogbone one and the gearboix one is just a rubber cup, lol.

Track rods are being done in the morning all being well and the PAS pump shouldn't be far off/ Was thinking earlier, with it being a PAS rack, with no pump connected, would it make it "slack" with no fluid inside the PAS damper? Or is that just stupid? :eek:

M

mini-valver

Right, this f**king car is doing my head in. Sent it to a garage today for track rod ends and tracking. Got a phone call about 10 minutes after I'd dropped it off saying the rod ends are fine and the knocking is being caused my movement of the damper in the strut. Now, I replaced the original dampers with brand new VTR ones so I know the nuts are tight holding the damper inside the strut. Any ideas what I can do?

Also, got a PAS pump off ebay, fitted it today, filled it with fluid and it doesn't f**king work. Great. I'll have a play tomorrow but I can't see it being anything other than fucked! ARGGHHHHH.

M

mini-valver

I'm pretty sure the ONLY thing it can be is the nut that holds the damper into the strut so I'll give it a beating in a bit and see if it solves it!

Gem

Racing Blue 182
This car is slowly turning into the VTS of Doom...:(

Anymore luck with it today Dave?

Megane 225 Cup | 106 GTi
My power steering only worked when it felt like it, turned out to be an earth cable that went to the NSF strut top - cleaned it up and PAS was alright after that

M

mini-valver

Right, been to the garage to have the tracking done and as he's a good mate, got him to check out the other bits and bobs! I tightened the damer nut as much as I could before I went and the knocking is MUCH less frequent and only does it on occasion now.

The PAS on the other hand, I have no idea whats going on. There's 12v going to the pump but BOTH wires are live? We earthed it and still nothing happened. So taking it back tommorrow with the old one to figure out WTF is going on and get him to temporarily sort the blowing CAT pipe before I decat it and give it a good goig over, new fluids etc. It's free so I might aswell now I've done all the major work.

The rear wiper arm was knackered so I de-wipered it just. Looks loads better! Also, the door card clips were all knackered so it didnt sit flush, quick trip to Citreon and £2 later, new clips were on! Starting to come together now I guess!

DSC00054.jpg

No wiper.....

DSC00055.jpg

welcome to the club lad;) good work:D

oh your an ignorant b*****d tbh....just waved to u on cheadle bank ( 5.15 )......you never even saw the TT lol

b**ch tbh;)

M

mini-valver

LOL, sorry dude :( I was concentrating on not breaking the driveshafts as they feel FUCKED now!

Sticker's holding up well....

Join the revolution :D

LOL, sorry dude :( I was concentrating on not breaking the driveshafts as they feel f**kED now!

Sticker's holding up well....

Join the revolution :D

fpmsl....yeah they dont do well against a hammer throwing maniac tbh lad;)

aii the sticker will be reet lad its the not normal kind;)

see the light palllllllll:cool:

M

mini-valver

Heaters work mate, yeah. Thought it was the brown connector under the steering cowl myself too :(

Mondeo TDCI 130
They were prone to igniton barrel faults! But then the rear window & blower wouldnt work either! Was worth a try!

M

mini-valver

TBH, I'll try it anyway and see what happens! Otherwise, just test the old pump and go from there.....

Cheers anyway mate! :D

M

mini-valver

FIXED! Re-did the wiring to the ump from the grey relay by the rad and earthed it to where the battery is earthed to and it works, mint! Knocking is still there but it's only occaisonally so I'll give the oher damper nut a few turns.

The passenger wheel sits about 10mm further towards the sideskirt than the drivers side so I'm going to have a play with the strut top bolt positions and see if that makes a difference. Just been for a drive and it feels like a different car now, not fighting the wheel at l and it just feels massively smoother. Stoked!

Mondeo TDCI 130
I can't believe you have been driving it with no pump!!! When mine failed i struggled to get the fecker home! I am only tiny though!:eek:

Glad you fixed it, makes you feel good when you get there in the end!!!!:)

M

mini-valver

LOL, Christopher had a go at the KK meet and could'nt turn it either! I've got a broken elbow and I still managed. It had man steering ;)

Yeah definately! Had me scratching my head though TBH..

Need to figure out why the passenger fornt wheel sits back in the arch though with a new wishbone :S

Mondeo TDCI 130
Did you only replace the one wishbone? Definately the right one? yeah i would say i am christophers size (i have girl arms....) It nearly ended me driving 15 miles home!!

M

mini-valver

Yeah just replaced the one. It's a VTS specific one so I'd guess It cant be wrong. I held it up against the old one and it looked right so I fitted it!

Any chance you can have a look over it if I bring it to you?? :eek:

Mondeo TDCI 130
Yeah just replaced the one. It's a VTS specific one so I'd guess It cant be wrong. I held it up against the old one and it looked right so I fitted it!

Any chance you can have a look over it if I bring it to you?? :eek:

Can't see that being a major problem mate, Were daft busy monday tuesday, and i would need to have a look in the diary tomorrow to give you a time, wednesday any good to you? Get it on the lift and have a nose around.

M

mini-valver

Wednesday sounds good! I'm off work so i'm bumming about at home, lol.

I went to Oswestry yesterday to pick up a driveshaft, just Route planner'd you're postcode and it's nigh on the same route, FFS! I'll whack this shaft in today or tommorrow and fire upto you mate!

Oil/filter change while I'm there?? Saves pissing around :p

M

mini-valver

The cat had a hole in it just before the join to middle section so it was blowing like a cheap *****. Went to have a new flange welded on and it's nice and queit again now! Made a quick video just and nearly died doing it.

Standard bar cat-back Janspeed and a Viper with no airfeed (not my doing :eek: )

th_MOV00058.jpg

M

mini-valver

I was tring to hold the phone, aim it at the dials, change gear and steer round a roundabout at the same time, lol. :eek: