ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mk2 172 Idle + Accerelator Questions

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Right, 2 questions for ya :)

1.) The idle on my 172, seems very lumpy. The needle doesnt jump around, but even sitting in the car, you can feel the car judder about with the idling engine just ticking over. Its the same cold or hot. Ive been told its down to "wild cams", but is this really normal?

2.) My accelerator goes smoothy down, then if I press harder, it clicks down. Almost like it is a smooth lever, then a final switch part. I only noticed it today. It doesnt seem to make much difference to the performance, just seems weird.

Are these traits normal? Or should I get down to Renault?

Ive been told to expect a few oddities as essentially the 172 is a sports car and should be that little bit more "raw" than your average refined car. But I cant help wondering etc.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

1,slightly uneven idle is normal

2,the click at the bottem of the accelerator pedal travel is a switch thats used for the cruise control.they use the same pedal for all models so even if yours hasnt got cruise control the pedal will still click.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 26 January 2004

1.) The idle on my 172, seems very lumpy. The needle doesnt jump around, but even sitting in the car, you can feel the car judder about with the idling engine just ticking over. Its the same cold or hot. Ive been told its down to "wild cams", but is this really normal?
Its normal mate, just the way they are, not just 172s either my 106 GTi did it, my 306 Rallye did it, etc...

2.) My accelerator goes smoothy down, then if I press harder, it clicks down. Almost like it is a smooth lever, then a final switch part. I only noticed it today. It doesnt seem to make much difference to the performance, just seems weird.
Also normal, all mk2s & Cups do it with the "fly by wire" throttle...

HTH

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Thanks for ther advice guys.

Still concerned about the idling, I guess Ill just have to compare it to another 172 at a meet.

The last 2 cars I have owned have both been Diesels, so although loud idlers, theyve both been smooth idlers.

That Pedal/Cruise Control thing seems a bit strange, but trust Renault [:)]

Ziel Nurburgring

Coco, mine does it too. Reckon its just one of those things when youve tuned a 2.0l that much, funny there is no movement on the rev counter though.....

mines very lumpy too was pointed out by renault monkey that it was very lumpy i then asked if he had ever been in a 172 before and he said no lol i said get in another before you start saying things like that lol

Ive heard of a few cases where people have taken their 172 with this problem and to help all they did was to increase the idle speed in the ECU very slightly. Mine does it, it bothered me at first but now Ive got used to it.

Stealth Bomber R26

my 172 was lumpy at idle especially when cold but dont seem to have this now im using optimax petrol

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 26 January 2004

Its normal mate, just the way they are, not just 172s either my 106 GTi did it, my 306 Rallye did it, etc...

Also normal, all mk2s & Cups do it with the "fly by wire" throttle...

HTH
And 205 GTis .. but that was normally cause of the mayonaise.. heh.. or a dodgy AFM

Hi

As other people have suggested both of your concerns are normal in a 172.

The idle thing was annoying for me in the beginning, and I tried various different petrol stations and types of fuels ie BP Ultra, BP normal unleaded...Tesco Unleaded..and ofcourse Shell Ultra or what ever its called. None of them made a blind bit of difference, infact some made it worse.

I now use what ever is the closet garage at the time, mainly putting in just normal unleaded then every 4th fill up I put in Super Unleaded to clean it through. ..Or if we are going on a long run I use Super Unleaded. I havent noticed any real performance gain or hit due to the petrol although they do claim the " Super unleaded " is supposed to be better, but for normal driving I cant notice the difference and at 5p difference a litre it works for me.

The only thing I did notice was that I try to stick to fairly new petrol garages, as I noticed that some of the older ones with older tanks made my 172 run even more lumpy, ( But maybe I was just imagining it )

On the pedal thing, ie the click at the bottom of the accelerator as you floor it, I actually quite like it...I treat it like a boost thing..You know full power then afterburner type thing....Yeah yeah I know stupid...But hey anything to put a smile on your face..Good old 172 !

Regards

JUNGLE

VaVa

Lumpy for me too. Sos my missus 1.2 16v though, and Im pretty sure that doesnt have wild cams in it, so who knows??

On the subject of accelerators, do any 172 owners notice a lag in between blipping the throttle (whilst in neutral) and the revs rising? Is this another feature of the fly by wire jobbie?

Jungle:-

"On the pedal thing, ie the click at the bottom of the accelerator as you floor -it, I actually quite like it...I treat it like a boost thing..You know full power then afterburner type thing....Yeah yeah I know stupid...But hey anything to put a smile on your face..Good old 172 !"

Hehe.. that would be soo cool if there was a way of using this electronic switch to control extra boost or NOS.. proper KnightRider, iam sure it would be possible. :)

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 28 January 2004

On the subject of accelerators, do any 172 owners notice a lag in between blipping the throttle (whilst in neutral) and the revs rising? Is this another feature of the fly by wire jobbie?
Yup the lag is a standard feature of Renaults FBW system, you can convert it back to a cabled system, but is not easy as you have to change pedal/throttle body & ecu - but it has been done - there are a few cups from my local dealer that were changed round due to issues with the FBW system.

Megane 225

Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 28 January 2004

all the new petrol renault 16v engines seem quite lumpy at idle.
Yes I concur. Although its not that bad. A lump now and then.