ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK2 172 - known faults to watch for

My Tomcat will be up for sale soon, and Im thinking of getting a MK2 172. Im thinking about one in Odessey Blue?

Ive ruled the Cup out because ABS has saved me more than once in the Tomcat and I cant risk not having it on my new car ;o)

Im aware that there is a 4k rattle that can occur on the centre exhaust pipe, and that the back boxes are prone to falling off... (WTF!?! :)

Is there anything else that I need to look for on an 02/52 plate car?

Cheers in advance!

Burgandy 174 sport t

My power steering packed in, only problem I had.

Oh and the front drivers side spring came out, dealer asked If I had left the ground in it, yeah I like to go flying now n again

ST

Quote: Originally posted by Big Iain on 10 February 2005

My power steering packed in, only problem I had.

Oh and the front drivers side spring came out, dealer asked If I had left the ground in it, yeah I like to go flying now n again
Sometimes it felt like your car was flyin big guy, the good old queens way ;)

Cheers! Ill make sure I get clearance from Air Traffic Control then! :)

A lot of ppl seem to bang on about needing the warranty when they bought their 182s. Is the 172 (Mk2) a bit on the un-reliable side too?

no problems with my 172mk2 had the 4k buzz that got sorted and the airbag light on again common and easy one to fix. tbh they are pretty sound mechanically and youll only normally get odd niggles like rattling/squeaking trim etc.

My 4k rattle was cured by taking the bolts out & replacing them with some extra washers. This stopped the bolts touching the underside of the car and making the rattle

Lee

BMW M2C

My 172 didnt have the exhaust issue, but did have the knocking suspension strut tops. Any main dealer will sort that out though.

The exhaust on my 182 is another matter though. :mad:

The Mk2 172 is Monaco Blue. Odessey Blue was on the Mk1 172.

A late 52 plate will have ESP and TC.

I always wanted a Tomcat since seeing its launch at the motorshow. I got close with a 220GTi and then a 200Vi.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a Rover Tomcat?

Ive had no problems in my mk2 172 in 10months of ownership from new, apart from a few interior rattles that I can just about live with.

A late 52 plate will also have cruise control.

And Monaco Blue is the best colour ;)
<<<<<<<<<

ST

Quote: Originally posted by Ally on 10 February 2005

Ive had no problems in my mk2 172 in 10months of ownership from new, apart from a few interior rattles that I can just about live with.

<<<<<<<<<

Correct me if im wrong but its a rover 220 turbo coupe, pretty understated, but very quick cars.

Cheers for the repiles chaps

The Tomcat is (was?) the name of the Project that launched the 216/218 and 220 Coupes back in the early 1990s. And yes, the 200BHP Turbo is stonking great fun when you can convince the front wheels to keep traction...! :)

[Edited by andy_vvc on 10 February 2005 at 12:09pm]

Mk2 172 (Silver)

ive been quite lucky with my 02 172. ive only had a few problems (over the 3 years Ive had it), all quite common and all easily fixed under warranty by the dealer:

serv and airbag lights coming on - fixed under warranty by dealer
headlight washer ball popping out- bought part from dealer and fixed myself
washer bottle cracked and leaking - fixed under warranty by dealer
different 4k rattle - fixed under warranty by dealer, was told it was a heat sheild rubbing on the steering column
front passenger seat runners loose, so seat rattles to extreme levels!! - about to be fixed by dealer at 24k service
apart from that i have the normal dash rattles and squeaks, but they are just about bearable, so stay!!

Em

3 MPS

my 172 cup has been in a number of times . new clutch cable at 10k,air bag light,the top mount has been modified and still nocking, the passenger door was rubbing on the lock and was fixed ,the oxygen sensor . oh and there is the numerous rattles .

overall i still think the build quality is good , well compared to my old y plate fiesta zs.

i can live with the rattles

very fun cars, we got a bad one though,

air bag sensors, coolant leaks, brake failure, vac canister, gearbox oil leak, various engine mounts, hazard warning light, stat on in cabin heater, solenoid ball valve?, etc, but who cares? itll put a smile on your face 24/7 !!!!!!!!

leaks under passenger seat, rear bootwell, under rear seat.

Rear seat one is from the window, bootwell is still unknown - maybe light / drainage holes, seat requires sealing.

:-D

/y0z

Focus ST3 + proper Mini

Washer bottle x 3

Headlight washer x4

New alarm system

All changed under warrenty. this is on an 03 plate.

(just hit 20k miles this morning)

Ziel Nurburgring

MK2 in Monaco Blue. Though id got away with the rattle, but it sounds like its on its way. Has the banging from the engine mount ill tell them about tomorrow and it has more rattles than mothercare.

But, its one of the best cars ive ever owned. 172/182, doesnt matter which one you get there both great cars. Whats your budget?

not a clio anymore

rattle on hard acceleration whilst turning left (you have to love that one) : heatshield that I moved myself
4k rattle : center section changed by renault. Now
rerattling due to heatshield. I need to fix it again!
serv light: fixed at first service
leaking washer bottle: changed (not under warranty :(
leaking headlight washer: managed to get it changed under warranty but the other one started leaking a week later :(
various rattles in the airvents, jsut drive quicker, the engine noise covers it.
Overall nothing stopping the car from driving

Also check for some knocking. Poss some engine mounts problem.
[Edited by nonos on 2/11/2005 9:55:39 AM]

Clio 172 (flame red)

I had 2K rattle that seemed to strangely disappear everytime the car approached the dealer (dammit!!), also had to have a replacement gauge cluster as the fuel gauge packed up. Apart from that a very very sound car... and when it is polished I still get comments on it!

Water leaks around the bulkhead area, mine was at the dealers for 3 months before they fixed it.

The leak went into the UCH (main electrics)

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member

putting me off 2, not sure bout buying a second hand 1 in the worry of getting a bad 1!

has any1 bought one 2nd hand and when taking their car back to the dealer has had any probs with the dealers?

<<<<<<<<<
I have an 03 172 this does not have cruise control (which wouldve been nice) I had the choice of a 53 with cc but I think that was an optional extra.

I dont believe its even standard on a 182 although most have cruise - I may be wrong please correct me if so................

Quote: Originally posted by redmini on 11 February 2005

<<<<<<<<<
I have an 03 172 this does not have cruise control (which wouldve been nice) I had the choice of a 53 with cc but I think that was an optional extra.

I dont believe its even standard on a 182 although most have cruise - I may be wrong please correct me if so................
Crise control was standard on 53 plates 172 and all 182s, however there are bound to be a few 172s without it due to registration issues.

Cruise control was never an option on cars it either had it or didnt have it.

Ive just come from a Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo to a Ph2 172 (Monaco Blue - really is the best...wait til you see it in the flesh).

Its an absolutely blinding car in the handling department. Ive had a 16V and a Williams in the past - and although I cant compare because of the haze of time, the 172 easily provides the same thrills.

R

rich[182]

after 17k only issues so far

bad wiring inside wiper motor caused short to set off alarm
occasional knock from engine mount/subframe issue
ultrasonics sometimes too sensitive setting off alarm

Have never had the rattle on exhaust, been lucky i suppose (am currently touching wood LOL)

ive noticed

1 the gear knob print on cups disapears after 25k shows wear quick

2 two threads loose on steering wheel

3 power steering

4 knocks engine strut top etc

5 wind noise on cups windows

6 poor bonnet alligment (not crash repair)

7 renault must have used a different primer on wings and bumpers as colour match wings/bumpers to rest of car shows all cups blue in the right light

8 rear exhaust fall off

9 somes time wont start very rare but for noe apparent reason restart and your off

10 passeneger seat burgered up

11 the lid thing on the engine cam cover? oil leaks

12 crap ariel for radio

13 renault

14 .. dont know think thats it.

Quote: Originally posted by J_rt on 11 February 2005

putting me off 2, not sure bout buying a second hand 1 in the worry of getting a bad 1!

has any1 bought one 2nd hand and when taking their car back to the dealer has had any probs with the dealers?
the car is covered how ever many drivers its had, as long as its been serviced in accordance to the manufacturer

Hi, this is my first post so - lo all :eek:)

(dont wanna put u off getting 2nd hand, just the situation Im in at the moment)

Have a 53 plate 172 - 2nd Owner. Had some probs..

Alternator went 3 weeks ago, strong buring smell coming in to the cabin, and you could smell it from the outside around the front of the car ! Was fixed under warranty.

Passenger window regulator is worn, although it was supposedly replaced back in September 04 as it was "worn" then too when I took it in! Going back in for a fix under warranty

Have a vibration/ groan from the clutch when depressed 3/4 when pulling off only when cold. - Renault can never hear this noise even though it happens every time from cold and they have had the car twice overnight.

Sounds like it is just running rough, said it was possible problems with the exhaust (blowing), so I mentioned this along with the other stuff and they came back that the centre part of the exhaust is loose, needs tightening so will need replacing ? exhausts not covered under warranty (only 12 mths - is that right?) and would cost me £261

Have a ticking noise from the dash area, maybe engine area, seemed to be engine speed related. Renault said this was the speedometer ticking, and this would need replacing, the whole cluster that is! and this would mean that the car mileage would be set back to zero as they can not put back in the correct miles :eek:

Is this right? !

I see the mention of the 4k rattle - is that right regarding the info on the exhaust warranty?

Havent yet put this back in to get these problems sorted as I havent decided which bits I want doing, especially the speedometer cluster !

Does that sound right ?

I had a few troubles with my 172 while i had it.

1. Loud banging under hard acceleration (although 205/45/16 tyres stopped this!?!?!? )

2. The gear linkage arm snapped in two!

3 New rear wheel bearing.

All this was on a 02 reg car with less than 26k on.

And i still miss it like mad now.

Gav.

my problems on a new 182, after about 2k miles

1. exhaust centre section fell to bits (fiked under warranty and bodged on)

2. door shut line out (been fixed not covered by warranty)

3. engine oil leak (believe from rocker cover, going in tomorrow)

4. alarm beeps on locking ( going in tomorrow)
5. Loud banging under hard acceleration (????)

ahh well the good points are there f**king quick, there nothing to else to touch it for the price performance/age wise, believe me i have tried.

i do like the clio bless her