ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 Ph2 1.2 16v flamer project + my bit on the side ;)

Renault Clio 2001
Evening all, was going to wait until id got a few months into both projects, however as im bored sat inside bored due to the rain, I thought I may aswell start a project log for my clio, which also will involve the progress of my partners clio, so 2 for the price of 1 in this topic :D
Only had the 16v for 2 weeks, and it needed work in the first place ( see newbies section for full details), so here it is:

P260612_1959.jpg

Needs a bit of work, some braking issues, the ABS rings on the hubs are both cracked, the clutch is very high so will be changing that, and will be taking the head off to seat the valves in properly and new gaskets all round with a service very soon, along with bushes and a dogbone mount.
Due to this costing so much and insurance just being paid for, im rather skint for a week or 2, however I already have these:

P260612_195402.jpg

These (sandblasted myself):

P260612_1957.jpg

This:

P260612_1956.jpg

And i did these on sunday:

P260612_195401.jpg

P260612_1954-1.jpg

Iv also painted the lettering on my bullets, will get pictures when finished. Hope you like guys, I have lots of plans for it, and im constantly fiddling with it so should be updating regularly, and also hope to give out as much help on the site to anyone who needs it, any questions please ask :D

Renault Clio 2001
Thanks mate, like i said im always messing with it haha so il try and take pictures along the way, need a better phone though for better pics. Iv also had to reseal the sunroof the other day, that was fun haha

Rs200
how much did you pay for the car may i ask mate mileage etc sounds like a lil bit of a mechanical project haha

Renault Clio 2001
Haha yeah, well full list of things that need doing or have been done are scattered about, going to get it mechanically sound 1st before starting on the exterior, should get it all done with change to spare out of £300 as il be doing all the work myself. Car has done just over 65k, and i paid the sum of £250 for it, so any cheaper and it would of been given to me. Was bought from a garage round the corner from work as a 'non runner', and was told it would need a completely new engine by the mechanic, but given that i never listen to a word mechanics say as most of them talk s**te anyway, and I knew different, £20 down at the breakers for a coilpack, sorted out the valve clearances, and hey presto she was a runner =)

Renault Clio 2001
Yer i know they are.. Replaced a few at work lol

What did you use to seal it? I just took the whole thing out, gave it a damn good clean as it was filthy, then run some sikaflex round the rim, plopped it down, then beaded the edge of the roof so its completely sealed, iv heard people using the gasket set from renault, however iv also heard they arent 100% reliable and can still leak afterwards if not done properly

Rs200
christ lol not bad i payed 300 for a 98 ph1 with 67k on clock mot and taxed, thought i had a steal and got a full respray at work for free ;)

What did you use to seal it? I just took the whole thing out, gave it a damn good clean as it was filthy, then run some sikaflex round the rim, plopped it down, then beaded the edge of the roof so its completely sealed, iv heard people using the gasket set from renault, however iv also heard they arent 100% reliable and can still leak afterwards if not done properly

As i work for Renault i use the proper seals

Renault Clio 2001
Silver visions arrived today :D. Going to get started on the 172 wheels next few days, been a bit distracted building a go kart at work :p will get some pics up if anyones interested?

Renault Clio 2001
To be honest I dont want to go down the RS replica route or anything like that, the wheels are going to be black, and im going to do all the plastics aswell, to stick with the black and red look, sorry dude :(

Renault Clio 2001
Haha nice one mate, the plans in my head look awsome so hopefully my skills can keep up with them cuz like I said il be doing all the work myself

Renault Clio 2001
Silvervisions, clear side indicators and parcel shelf fitted last night, got one of the wheels in black aswell, tried to go for satin black but it looks too shiney, so may have to go for matte black instead, anyone got some pics of 172 wheels in matte black?

Renault Clio 2001
Update: Due to the rain putting finishing the wheels on hold, and not yet having the spacers made for them, I did a few other bits and bobs over the last few weeks:
Silvervisions front and back:
P080712_112604.jpg

clear side indicators:
P080712_112603.jpg

L.E.D sidelights (look better in the dark):
P080712_112602.jpg

Painted front diamond:
P080712_112601.jpg

Sport interior door handles:
P080712_112702.jpg

New front door speakers:
P080712_1128.jpg

New head unit:
P080712_112801.jpg

6x9s wired up:
P080712_1127.jpg

P080712_112701.jpg

....so iv actually got quite a few bits done looking back haha, lowering springs and shocks (40mm) should be here by weekend, and will have the alloys on by august. along with a skoda splitter, but before those iv got to fit a new clutch, a few bushes, possibly a second hand steering rack as something isnt right with mine, bottom engine mount, and the ABS sensor rings??( not sure of proper name), so should all come together in the next few weeks.

Heres a few pics of how it stands now:

P080712_1125-1.jpg

P080712_1126.jpg

Thanks for looking, any suggestions welcome :D

Renault Clio 2001
Yeah Iv done them myself, they were a huge pain in the backside to be honest, basically whoever had them before me must of curbed them every single time they parked it, and the rim had sort of mushroomed, so a ran around the inside and outside with a rough half round file, then used a P80 sanding disk to flat it best I could, added some metal filler, then sanded down with various grades. To be honest they arent perfect up close, but a hell of a lot better than what they where.

Renault Clio 2001
Well iv been shopping today. and picked up a set of 40mm lowering springs and shocks :D will be doing the clutch soon so they will be getting fitted at the same time along with a few other bits and bobs, also think iv managed to find some spacers and longer bolts to get the 172 wheels on, although iv been told they are 20mm, anyone know how far I need to mill them down with a 40mm drop? thanks

Renault Clio 2001
Stubby ariel arrived today, along with smd foglight bulbs, and a new rear number plate light cover as mine was very yellow. Got a megane splitter too, off a mk1 cab. anyone know if its a straight fit of will i need to cut it down? cheers

Monaco 172
Stubby ariel arrived today, along with smd foglight bulbs, and a new rear number plate light cover as mine was very yellow. Got a megane splitter too, off a mk1 cab. anyone know if its a straight fit of will i need to cut it down? cheers
With the splitter, it just needs the ends trimming once its screwed on, took me a while to fit but well worth it imo! if you have any questions just pm me :)
heres a link to my thread so you can see what it looks like when its on :)
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?650643-Fairly-low-and-slow-odyssey
IMG_5962.jpg

Renault Clio 2001
Thanks mate thats a massive help. Noticed a few people saying they didnt like that splitter, I think it looks nice, il definately get on with fitting mine. Love the colour of your clio btw. like the simple styling too thats what im going for. I should be ok fitting it, just need to know whats involved before hand so I can make sure I take all the right tools to were i do it, thanks anyway though :D

Monaco 172
Thanks mate thats a massive help. Noticed a few people saying they didnt like that splitter, I think it looks nice, il definately get on with fitting mine. Love the colour of your clio btw. like the simple styling too thats what im going for. I should be ok fitting it, just need to know whats involved before hand so I can make sure I take all the right tools to were i do it, thanks anyway though :D
i just jacked the front up, removed the old splitter ( pull towards front of the car, theres some triangles in body colour which hold it on, just need a hand to get out from underneath them) then match the new splitter up, align the middle and put a screw in, i didnt drill pilot holes, just hand screwed through the splitter and into the bumper :)

Renault Clio 2001
lots has gone on these past few week, il explain and get more pics up tomorrow, but was dying to get a few up, lows and exhaust finally on, just waiting on my spacers being made and then the wheels can go on too!

Image0112.jpg

Image0082.jpg

DSC00022.jpg

DSC00035.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

yes yes i know i needs a wash haha

Renault Clio 2001
Hello everyone, apologies on the late thread updates, things have took a massive change these past few weeks, not for the car but for me, so work has been slow, so il just put a few pictures of how its looking at the moment to see what everyone thinks. Still havnt managed to get the 172 wheels on yet, they are all sat there with tyres, just waiting for my boss to get time to make my spacers made. So here it is.....

parcel shelf speaker wiring cleaned up:
P080712_112701-1.jpg

In bits at work having roll bar bushes clutch and a track rod fitted:
Image012.jpg

our renault collection, other clio will be joining these shortly:
Image002.jpg

172 wheels tried on, cant wait to get these on! :
Image022.jpg

with my mates clio 1.4 sport, mine hasnt been lowered yet in this pic, and he had just done his with the other set of springs i had:
Image031.jpg

Image029.jpg

wheels in the process of being painted, all finished now:
Image040.jpg

sorting the headlights:
Image037.jpg

after lowering it:
Image0092.jpg

Image0022.jpg

Image005-1.jpg

Image0072.jpg

exhaust going on, took ages to get it to sit right :
DSC00031-1.jpg

cutting the hole in the bumper :
DSC00033-1.jpg

then one day i came out of the shop to find someone had done this and not stopped! :
DSC00047.jpg

and the other day I gave it a bath so here it is as it stands today:

DSC00061.jpg

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

Image0082.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

DSC00044.jpg

Renault Clio 2001
thanks mate :approve: fixed the mirror in 2 minute, it was just annoying it had happened as it could of been worse. Yeah the wheels look perfect on the car, gunna be a week at least until it happens though :(

White Clio MK2 PH1
what do you need to spray your dashboard ect? never sprayed anything, i want too but i dont wanna f**k it up

Renault Clio 2001
sandpaper to key it, plastic primer, whatever colour paint you want and lacquer. you will need degreaser aswell to wipe it down with before painting it, you can only spray the hard plastics, the main part orf the dash is a big job if thats what you are planning

Renault Clio 2001
Wheels on finally!!!! il let the pictures do the talking.......

DSC00090.jpg

DSC00091.jpg

DSC00092.jpg

DSC00095.jpg

DSC00093.jpg

DSC00096.jpg

Love how it looks right now, just needs an all round tidy up and finishing touches

Last edited: