ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 Ph2 172 Cup Speakers

Clio 172 Cup
Any recommendations for any speakers that sound good inside these cars, I'm not looking for anything stupidly loud, rather something with good finesse that works with the acoustics of the interior.

Looking to spend £100-150 for each front and back pair to replace the standard fits for now, powered by a new head unit. Might expand further in the future...

Leon Cupra 300
I got a becker headunit.. which is probably one of the best for sound quality / finesse.. at the moment using some jbl coaxils that i got cheap from a dude on here but i was reccomended to use some rainbow components. check www.caraudiosecurity.com

Clio 172 Cup
philmots said:
That seems the sort of thing I'm after, well built bits of kit, rather than the cheap but makes lots of noise kind of thing.

I was considering getting components for the front speakers, fitting the 13s right away and replacing the dash tweeters when I have a bit more time. Does this make sense and does the way they're normally wired up allow for this?

Alas Rainbow's 13cm components are £169...

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3980.html

Leon Cupra 300
ive not bought them yet just got some cheap ones for the meantime... as the std speakers are just crap as youll see when you take them out.

im going to get components in the front, but got other stuff to budget for at the moment.. like buyin a bloody house

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
philmots said:
That seems the sort of thing I'm after, well built bits of kit, rather than the cheap but makes lots of noise kind of thing.

I was considering getting components for the front speakers, fitting the 13s right away and replacing the dash tweeters when I have a bit more time. Does this make sense and does the way they're normally wired up allow for this?

Alas Rainbow's 13cm components are £169...

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3980.html

Well just buy them and dont buy rear speakers! It will sound better and you are within budget!

Clio 172 Cup
Well just buy them and dont buy rear speakers! It will sound better and you are within budget!
I think I'll just buy them anyway, after all I deserve a treat!

My only worry with the price differential between the components and three-ways is the rear speakers won't match the quality of the fronts (obviously will be way better than current though), so i wondering if there is a slightly higher range set of Rainbox 13cm 3-ways out there?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Those rainbows have got a big magnet on them, they fit in ok though do they?
Is it true people recommend sound proofing behind the speakers?

Clio 172 Cup
Those rainbows have got a big magnet on them, they fit in ok though do they?
Good point, they do look rather sturdy.

Having pulled off the door speaker panel it looks like the recess in the car will take it, but confirmation that no cutting is required would be good.

Will measure up and check if I get the time.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Tripps - can you pm me and let me know what they are like when you have fitted them please mate.

Then i may get some :)

Inferno 182
MB qart get my vote;) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MB-QUART-RCE-...ryZ18799QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I had some MBs in a Celica and they did a great job.

Ive now got some Phoenix gold 6 Ti Elite which are pretty good. The treble is a lot finer compared to the MBs but a great speaker non the less plus they`re rated @ 300rms each!!

Rainbow are meant to be good but Ive never listend to them. I dont think youd have any regrets in buying them. but you may find something second hand thats better. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIAMOND-HEX-S...6QQihZ010QQcategoryZ18800QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These Diamond Hex come with the silk tweeter instead of the titanium so would have a bit more finesse to them compare to the titanium tweeters. I wouldnt pay more than £150 for them so you could try knocking him down:)

The general rule is you pay for what you get;). Choose a speaker to suit the sound your after. The amplifier that powers the speakers will change the sound too, so a decent head unit or amp would be needed.

Thats my 2ps worth anyway :D

Clio 172 Cup
MB qart get my vote;)
I'm not sold on them from what I've heard so far, mind you that's only been on TVRs, which being fibreglass provide a very different soundstage. They reminded me of flat-response speakers for a home Hi-Fi system, in principal a great idea and great sound quality, but seem to lose something in the wash. Probably need to hear them in a car where the sound-system isn't the car itself!

The general rule is you pay for what you get;). Choose a speaker to suit the sound your after. The amplifier that powers the speakers will change the sound too, so a decent head unit or amp would be needed.
Got a reasonably decent Pioneer HU going in (hopefully later this week). The factory fit HU and Connects2 combo was driving me mad!

Phase 2 might well be an amp and some better bass, but I want to keep the Cup very light so might no go down this route - although a large sub over the rear axle wouldn't do the handling under severe braking any harm!

Thats my 2ps worth anyway :D
All appreciated :D

Clio 172 Cup
Just fitted the SLC230s

Compared to the rear, the clarity is amazing with all different sorts of music, the rears sound really muddy now in comparison.

The problem is having fitted them it highlights the problems with the OEM kit in the Clio. There is a hiss from the speakers even under low loading and a boom from the new speakers at certain frequencies under moderate load.

I've not fitted the tweeters for the SLCs yet (dash out job) so obviously that's the fault with the tweeters, but no sure about the booming. I don't think from HU, as the Pioneer DEH-P7700MP can pump out a continous 4 x 27 watts, and should happily push up to 50 watts. I'm wondering if the Renault fit cross-overs are the issue and whether replacing them with the Rainbow ones should sort it all out.

Leon Cupra 300
really mate if you've bought fairly top end speakers like that you need to rip the lot out and start again.. new HU and the works

Clio 172 Cup
really mate if you've bought fairly top end speakers like that you need to rip the lot out and start again.. new HU and the works
Cabling included? What is the Renault stuff like, the bits I've seen look OK, but not exceptional.

I guess a re-wire might be needed for the front anyway once the OEM cross-overs are ripped out...

My next step is to upgrade the rears speakers, I think to Rainbow SL13s - I was hoping the Pioneer would have driven them quite well, but did get mixed up with the power delivery from it; thought it was 4x50 RMS, but it's 4x27 instead.

So my next step is a little up in the air, do I amp them up, add a dedicated bass driver or just upgrade the HU to deliver more power in a clear fashion? At the same time the 172 is my pratical and sensible car, so I don't want to go using up usable space with amps and speakers...

Just to add to the conundrum I'm picking up repolacement sports car soon, so will see what HU that has and if anything needs fitting, as that would determine where I go. I had the iPod integration of the Pioneer so that might migrate, but since I've got all Pioneer kit that may be wasteful...

Decisions, decisions.