ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MKII Ph1 RS Throttle Cable.

Mr2 Roadster
Am on my third cable now and still get the dreaded sticking sometimes. I have lubed this cable with grease but it hasn't helped.

I have also changed the throttle and that hasn't helped.

Is there a knack to cable routing that helps as I have followed the original route?

I can feel the resistance on the pedal from the cable and sometimes if I move the outer sleve a bit it will be better for a little bit before it get's stiff again?

Please help me someone as it's driving me mad!

172 ph1
Same problem here.

I think the bend just the other side of the bulkhead is too tight. Going to reroute it completely one day.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
spring on the t/b worn?

or

unhook the cable .. get a mate to sit in the car to oporate the pedel whislt you dold the end of the cable.. keep moving it untill you can feel less resistance

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Turn the steering onto full left lock.

Pull out the black clip to release the back edge of the splash-guard under the wing..

Remove the engine cover, then you can either release the cable from the t/b cam by twisting it, to the open position, or undo the 2 bolts that hold the outer cable retainer to the top of the t/b to take the spring tension off.

Unclip the pedal end of the cable by turning the white clip.

Push the cable through from the inside (including the rubber grommet)

The whole cable then just feeds through from under all the hoses etc.

Reverse the procedure to re-install.

Mr2 Roadster
BrianR,

I've put three cables in over the last year and they all do the same?

Am I doing something wrong? I've even changed the throttle to no avail.

Could I reroute the cable somewhere else?

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
BrianR,

I've put three cables in over the last year and they all do the same?

Am I doing something wrong? I've even changed the throttle to no avail.

Could I reroute the cable somewhere else?

The question must be,....are the ones you are taking out, stiff. ?

If they are, you might be putting them the wrong side of the insulation and the exhaust manifold is melting the outer cable.

It MUST go behind the heat shield and insulation.

Having said that, I bought a cable because I was convinced the old one was naffed, only to find, when I took it out, it was as smooth as silk, and the throttle body spindle was distorted causing a high tick-over speed.
Don't forget, this car was designed for LHD and the throttle cable for that market, is about a foot long, so the return spring on the throttle body isn't really designed to pull 20 meters of cable.

Last edited:
  Mr2 Roadster
Hello Brian.

Yes, the cable is always smooth when I remove it, in fact it's smooth until it's under load.

Also I know I routed it properly as I traced the oldone and have located the cable housing in the four clips in the bulkhead behind the shilding.

I'm just a little baffled to be honest!

Where's that BenR when you need him?

172 ph1
I left all the clips off last time and it felt better for a bit. The return spring feels pretty strong.
I think the outer cable spiral is the wrong guage for the radius it goes through. Going to use one off a bicycle next time.

Mr2 Roadster
It's certainly the cable outer that is the problem and would explain why the mkII has TBW.