ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mobile internet allowance and uding laptop???

Ford Fiesta
Is it possible (for emergencies for example) to use my unlimited internet allowance with my mobile provider to access the web through my laptop.
I have bluetooth between my phone and laptop, can some explain what I need to do please.

Thanks

Liam

Ford Fiesta
I use my mobile connection a lot as it is, streaming bbc iplayer etc never been contacted. I suspect unlimited might be say a fair use policy. Just wondering if my laptop can benefit from it on a shirt term basis?

Listerine & Poledo
NO.

O2 will notice that the handset is being used as a modem and will bill you accordingly. at 30p per MB I believe.

you'd be better off buying a cheap pre-pay usb modem, you can get vodafone ones, with credit, for less than 20 quid now.

Ford Fiesta
mmm, ok. Wonder how they know, I would be using the exact same access point..?

Giulietta 940
With Vodafone you're free to use it however you wish (IIRC), but once you go over your allowance they will start to charge you. They will usually send you a text notifying you that you are close to your allowance limit.

For example, I know they allow tethering for certain phones (i.e. turning your phone into a WiFi hotspot, and connecting to the internet that way), but they warn that it will eat up your allowance fairly quickly.

Listerine & Poledo
o2 - will charge you for any tethering unless you take a package for it
orange - same
T-Mobile - "unlimited" internet, irrespective of how you use itr, but you get a text after 1gb. They wont charge you any more but may slow your line instead
Voda - Use your allowance however you like

182FF with cup packs
o2 - will charge you for any tethering unless you take a package for it
orange - same
T-Mobile - "unlimited" internet, irrespective of how you use itr, but you get a text after 1gb. They wont charge you any more but may slow your line instead
Voda - Use your allowance however you like

Not sure that's true for all phones, just the iPhone. I use my Nexus for tethering all the time, in fact I've been tethering phones for a couple of years at least on the same account with no additional charges.

02 on the other hand are f*****s, work gave me a spare mobile for work use when mine was dead, i used it for tethering while I was away for a week, work got a £600 bill. Though I did point out to work that it was a bit stupid of them to give a phone to an engineer who needs remote access without a tethering account, but it turned out to be one of the ex-sales guys phones.