ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Modifications to accompany turbo conversion

172cup turbo & rx8
My 172 cup is currently in the middle of a low pressureturbo conversion consisting of a gt28rs running via a gen90 amongst otherthings, however I have been wondering if there is anything else that would be “worthwhile”doing along with the conversion before it goes for mapping

It already has a full yozza exhaust and ktec sports cat, but doesn’t have the rs stamped inlets however im not convinced they’d make much/if any difference

Also really considering a dci gearbox i know the ratios are different but are they any stronger and does anyone know the in-gear speeds for each box?

Last edited:
  172 cup, Impreza P1
Injectors, plugs, HT leads, fpr, fuel pump and gauges.

Dci box is wrong IMHO. All that extra performance and then ruin it with long gearing and it's no stronger :S

172 turbo 'cup'
Engine mounts , make sure you get a flexi section in the exhaust if not you will end up snapping turbo to manifold stud's mine did

big boost cup
As for the gearbox leave it standard unless your going to hammer it to death if thats the case Vag box it is. A diff also made a worth while mod to the handling

172cup turbo & rx8
Injectors, plugs, HT leads, fpr, fuel pump and gauges.

All getting done with the conversion except the fuel pump, I spoke to paul at rs tuning a while back and he said the standard cup item would be good for upto 300bhp

Full set of solid Engine mounts are also going on

Brakes are already taken care of, hc's with 1155's all round, I do need a set of braided lines and fluid change tho

The gearing is very short as standard you would think the longer ratios of the dci box would suit it? Anyone here done the conversion?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If your going low boost i would just leave the gearbox as it is.

Even on high boost I see no point in changing it really, the ratios suit a turbo car well providing the engine is setup in a way that still allows it to rev.
Mine does over 160mph, and I really cant see the point in gearing it for anymore than that?

big boost cup
Even on high boost I see no point in changing it really, the ratios suit a turbo car well providing the engine is setup in a way that still allows it to rev.
Mine does over 160mph, and I really cant see the point in gearing it for anymore than that?

top speed is a novelty. the reason mine is being changed is the fact it will break if used hard

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
top speed is a novelty. the reason mine is being changed is the fact it will break if used hard

Agreed, I cant hit that speed on track anyway, the straights are too short. If I could simply do so I would actually gear mine for probably 140 or so rather than the 170 or so its geared for on the limiter in 5th currently. I did that with my corsa and it drove far better on the shorter gearing on track and I think my clio would too despite being turbo'd

Ive yet to see any compelling evidence that the DCI box is signficantly stronger though, what components inside it do you believe to be uprated out of interest?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The DCI box will ruin the car IMO, the ratios are far too long.

Stick with the standard box.

Indeed, unless you are making peak power at 4Krpm or something silly like that then why would you want taller gearing?

big boost cup
Agreed, I cant hit that speed on track anyway, the straights are too short. If I could simply do so I would actually gear mine for probably 140 or so rather than the 170 or so its geared for on the limiter in 5th currently.

Ive yet to see any compelling evidence that the DCI box is signficantly stronger though, what components inside it do you believe to be uprated out of interest?

Im not having a DCI box put in mine. but opted for the vag one insted as that has been proven to work with abuse.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Im not having a DCI box put in mine. but opted for the vag one insted as that has been proven to work with abuse.

VAG box is a good plan, cheaper to get a diff for too.

Fiat coupe box is one that I think is worth a look too, need to get hold of one at some point and see if its possible as they are nicer change than the VAG one, just as strong (shocking for a fiat, lol) available in 5 or 6 speed, and have an LSD as standard.

172cup turbo & rx8
looks like i'll stick with the standard box and see how things go, the car should be on the road next week so i'll get some pic's and agraph up when it's done

I take it there is no easy way of strengthening the internals of the standard box?

also how heavy is the vag box in comparison?

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
All getting done with the conversion except the fuel pump, I spoke to paul at rs tuning a while back and he said the standard cup item would be good for upto 300bhp

Full set of solid Engine mounts are also going on

Brakes are already taken care of, hc's with 1155's all round, I do need a set of braided lines and fluid change tho

The gearing is very short as standard you would think the longer ratios of the dci box would suit it? Anyone here done the conversion?

Looks to me like you have everything sorted, leave the box as it is as you will be running only circa 220hp

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
looks like i'll stick with the standard box and see how things go, the car should be on the road next week so i'll get some pic's and agraph up when it's done

I take it there is no easy way of strengthening the internals of the standard box?

also how heavy is the vag box in comparison?

No sensibley prices option for the renault box.

VAG box is heavier, dont know the actual figures off hand though.