ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

More 182 ponderings zzz

Had my 182 5 days now now so Ill throw in my two penorth.

I also drove the Honda CTR and the Mini Cooper S but plumped for the 182 as I think its a better all round package and much better value. Also the 182 IMHO looks miles better. I got a great deal too - I went to my local dealer and showed them the best internet price for a UK car and they beat it by £300 and they had one in stock - in the colour I wanted with both Cup packs. It would have been rude not to buy it! From first enquiry to OTR in five days (sorry if youre waiting for delivery - it is worth the wait though).

Compared with my BMW Coupe (part exchanged) the ride (with Cup Suspension) is a bit firmer and more jiggly but the payback in grip, cornering adjustability, grip, fun, grin factor, grip etc is well worth it - did I mention the grip? Its fantastic!. A to B the 182 is really fast - before the BM I had a Lancia Integrale Evo (aka money pit) and the 182 is right up there with it as a ground eating machine. The acceleration beyond 5K is excellent and the induction/exhaust noise that accompanies makes the whole blast through the gears addictive. And because the Clio is small its difficult not to indulge in cheeky small-gap overtakes. The brakes are excellent too - a corollary of the low(ish) weight I guess.

Top gear (the ratio not the magazine or TV programme) is a bit low and motorways feel a bit buzzy but its a good excuse to take the scenic route and exploit the handling (and excellent grip!).

Build quality so far seems ok although I seem to have the usual clunks etc. Its really useful to know through this forum that they are to be expected but I reckon we should be pressuring the dealers to sort them out. If its any consolation to those frustrated by the niggles the 182 is much better than the new 51 plate Mini Cooper my wife had. It was a POS and eventually had to be rejected - self opening windows/doors, pulled to the left (suspension leg twisting apparently although BMW told me it was the road camber), squeaky seats that wouldnt return to position, misaligned door trim, different curvature (magnification) door mirrors, dodgy boot lock etc etc to say nothing of the wheezy gutless Brazilian built power plant. I feel better now - having got that off my chest!

The only real downside to owning the Clio Ive noticed so far is the attention it gets from ****heads in bodykit Corsas/Fiestas/Saxos. I want to get one of those LED signs the police use in their patrol cars Back off you t**ser...

I wont go on any further as its all been said elsewhere in the (excellent)forum. The enthusiam shown here demonstrates what a great car the Clio is - Long Live King Clio

Im a Black/Gold man - when I saw it in the showroom it just had that stealth look to it which I couldnt resist! Shouldve had that for my username Stealth Clio

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI

I nearly went for that colour myself but i have always wanted a blue car. Now all you have to do is join up and get a sticker!

My wife has stolen the Clio today as it was in pole position on our tandem drive so Im in her Focus (surely something wrong here - the Clios not even a week old!). If this continues I may have to part ex the Focus for another 182 and it would have to be Arctic Blue. although the silver is nice too and the liquid yellow really stands out. Whatthehell - one of each please!

Theyre definitely faster - its the gold you know! Being a totally inert metal the gold reacts less with the air and hence is more slippery - fact!

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by JAF 182 on 14 July 2004

Theyre definitely faster - its the gold you know! Being a totally inert metal the gold reacts less with the air and hence is more slippery - fact!
Hehe... nice one. Welcome to the Club dude....

Yaris Hybrid

Black Gold looks great. I am a little surprised that so many people here have walked into dealers and managed to pick up cars that were "in stock". Also surprised that so many of these cars are in one of the most desirable colours as this isnt the first black gold someone in here has just picked up.

I assume these cars were originally ordered for someone who put down a deposit then backed out when the car turned up and the dealer stuck out his hand and said 13k please....

However with a 3 to 4 month lead time I would have thought that the dealers had a long list of customers waiting for a car who would be offered it first - as opposed to someone walking in off the street?

I have no idea why my car was in stock - maybe it was someones order who decided to wait for the 54 plate and the dealer ordered another for them!? More likely the dealers are ordering for stock (or being allocated by RUK) and choosing what they think will be a good spec.

The salesman I dealt with said that sometimes they (a specific model Renault such as the 182) were easy to get hold of and at other times they had to be built to order. I guess it is to do with the production logistics at Dieppe... on the one hand they want to keep production levels high on the other they only want to build cars that have a buyer...

dfdf

I was wondering about this whole waiting time thing aswell. Ive just bought a new Civic/Breadvan Type-R and I got mine by way of a cancelled order but I basically just walked into the showroom and got it straight away! Tho having said that my local dealer didnt have any and I had to drive 100 miles to find one. Ive heard that theres a 3 month wait for new ones (just like the clio) and theres plenty of folk on the Type-R forum waiting aswell! It seems strange that Id be offered a car straight away when theres so many people whove been waiting longer than me.

Guess it just depends on how many cars your local dealers got to sell. Bizarrely a week after getting mine my local dealer phoned me to say theyd got a new one in stock aswell. Damn things are like buses. You wait for ages and 2 appear at the same time :cry:

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Some of the reasons for waiting are:-
Friends and Family Discounted cars have to be new orders
Options

Obviously wed all love to walk into a dealer and have the new car sat there waiting, but with different options/different colours, there are too many permutations for the dealers to keep one of each in stock etc.

Hey there,

Just became the proud owner of a new 182 in black gold this week - and I am really pleased with it. I have the cup spolier, but not the suspension pack. Having driven both cup and non-cup cars at Milbrook, I have to say that the differences in handling are pretty small - and in all reality you would only ever get a change to explore the differences 0.001% of the time. Besides, I think the grey wheels look a bit plastic. The silver looks much better on the black IMHO.

I walked into a dealership 2 weeks ago, originally looking at an 02 172 - and ending up buying the 182 instead. The dealer had a silver 182 in the dealership, and a black gold that had just arrived at the docks. Waiting a week and a half for delivery pdi etc.

Happy man!

I took the drive it like you mean it approach to running in...

Yaris Hybrid

grrr I have ordered a silver so why if they have one in the dealership are they not giving it to me as opposed to people walking in off the street!!!

Well, mate, if you want a silver one with both cup packs, then you should talk to SMC in Guildford. Talk to a guy called Andy, and tell him that Steve sent him. Should get a good deal!