ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Most cost effective 172 modifications

So aside from tyres what would people say are the most cost effective mods for a 172?
Mine's a sport by the way not cup.

Would uprated mounts/bushes and a rear ARB be close to the mark? As im thinking of possibly getting the rear ARB as the first mod in an attempt to cure the horrific understeer this car seems to have compared to my last renaultsport car (Twingo 133 sport)

Tyres, Brakes, Whiteline Rear ARB, RSTuner.

Airfilter if you wish.

Aside from that, anything else generally is a waste of money.

The ARB is amazing, I never felt much understeer before though - what tyres do you have on? It definitely increases turn-in, felt nice to use tbh.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I was told as long as the rest of the suspension is in good nick a rear ARB is the single best mod you can do in terms of the improvement for the cost.

Hope it's true, because mine is on the way ;)

I will have to check the brand of tyres but I know they are terrible as my missus 1.6 16v Megane feels like it has more grip! I almost rolled the car the other night as I severely underestimated how much understeer I would get and I was heading closer and closer to a kerb! Just missed it!

I was always told to stay away from "generic" maps on cars. So is this rs tuner any good?

Longer term i may get some bilstein b14's and team dynamics in 15 inch. Never driven a cup suspension car but this sport suspension is nice and comfy.

Yep, if your car doesn't have it already (do a search, comes with higher rev limiter, better mid-range, better cold-start ) - well worth it.

As you say, generally not recommended, but RSTuner is probably what I would say as the best value for money mod (you can do it for about 100quid if you sell the box on afterwards), and then the rear ARB coming a close second.

Hmm. I may do a search for this. Engine wise I was probably only planning a panel filter and a stainless exhaust (when the standard one dies) and maybe a 182 manifold (when the standard one dies) engine tuning seems very expensive on the little clios so not sure thats where I'll be headed.

Im mildly annoyed I bought a sport as the interior is so nice I can't bring myself to do any weight saving lol

I will be adding a Cobra bucket though in an attempt to improve my driving position as its okay but the seat lacks the support round corners and how far forward did renault mount the gearstick??? Jesus!

@JoeMarano I deicided to bite the bullet and sort out the driving position. Best thing I have done so far! Really changed the experience of driving it :)!

Also everyone keeps saying about the rear arb.. @Addicted Does it make the rear very twitchy? The rear on mine is very lively as it is, but I suppose it could be down to having the whole rear of my car stripped!

Link
This shows what I did to change myiving position. Really worthwhile!
I used to have a sparco bucket and an omp corsica on one of my old saxo's but the boss made It too close and my arms would get caught in the bucket seats which was annoying so changed it back.

I have a set of cobras which are slightly different so will need to get the sliding frames and test both out. Then possibly try another wheel or maybe one off a 197/200 if they are any smaller?

@JoeMarano I deicided to bite the bullet and sort out the driving position. Best thing I have done so far! Really changed the experience of driving it :smile:!

Also everyone keeps saying about the rear arb.. @Addicted Does it make the rear very twitchy? The rear on mine is very lively as it is, but I suppose it could be down to having the whole rear of my car stripped!
I didn't find it twitchy at all - I also left it on soft the whole time I had it, saw no need to go on Hard (which is when people find it twitchy I think).

It will definitely make it more lively, but as I say could be down to tyres, and also tiredness of current suspension.

RB 182 FF
Lol at the Jinyu tyres! Get them off asap, that'll be the best change you'll ever make to your car..!:smile::up:

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Knackered rear shocks will make it twitchy. Replace the rear shocks before you fit an anti-roll bar. They are very cheap and easy to swap.

I replaced the rear shocks around 10 months ago and have just put new rear tyres on it. Its only when I am pushing it that I notice the rear is quite "lively" shall we call it haha :)

LOL Jinyu tyres, may as well be called Ditchfinder 3000's.

I'd get some new tyres (PS3's if you want the best road tyre imo, or Hankook V12's/Rainsports if you're on less of a budget), then see how it feels. If you then want more turn-in, then get the ARB :smile:.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Tyres, Brakes, Whiteline Rear ARB, RSTuner.

Airfilter if you wish.

Aside from that, anything else generally is a waste of money.

The ARB is amazing, I never felt much understeer before though - what tyres do you have on? It definitely increases turn-in, felt nice to use tbh.

Lol at 'anything else is a waste of money'.

I wouldn't say it is a waste, but that probably comes as no surprise :smile:

OP - the list posted (Tyres, RARB, RS Tuner map, Brembo HC and decent pads and a suspension refresh) is probably the best route for cost effectiveness (although this doesn't mean cheap, as the suspension refresh is £££. Maybe throw in a smaller steering wheel.

Lol at 'anything else is a waste of money'.

I wouldn't say it is a waste, but that probably comes as no surprise :smile:

OP - the list posted (Tyres, RARB, RS Tuner map, Brembo HC and decent pads and a suspension refresh) is probably the best route for cost effectiveness (although this doesn't mean cheap, as the suspension refresh is £££. Maybe throw in a smaller steering wheel.
Waste of money in terms of the fact he doesn't want to spend money on performance, so what else is there? (you've basically listed exactly what I said btw :p)

IF he wanted to spend money on performance, then of course there's all sorts to play around with - TB's, Turbo's, Supercharged, and then expensive coilovers, cage etc etc. You don't have to get defensive every time someone mentions about mods being a waste of money because you've spent alot on yours :tongueout:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Rs tuner
Decent brakes
Fog ducts for the above
Decent tyres
Suspension
Decent tracking
Smaller wheel
Ram air inductuon kit £40

To name a few.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Waste of money in terms of the fact he doesn't want to spend money on performance, so what else is there? (you've basically listed exactly what I said btw :tongueout:)

IF he wanted to spend money on performance, then of course there's all sorts to play around with - TB's, Turbo's, Supercharged, and then expensive coilovers, cage etc etc. You don't have to get defensive every time someone mentions about mods being a waste of money because you've spent alot on yours :tongueout:

The reference to 'the list posted' funnily enough acknowledged it was what you'd written ;)

I'm not defensive, hence the smiley face in my original post. Here is another one :)

It is worth noting though, he asked for 'cost effective' mods not cheap / I don't want to spend a lot mods. You could argue for the performance it gives you, a turbo is quite cost effective :)

Yup hit the nail on the head there. Cost effective. Ideally we'd all like 4 pot brakes and all sorts. But when you can have the same effect for less why not. Modifying cars is an expensive hobby that not everyone can afford and when you can afford it your too old lol

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
With regards brakes. I have brembo discs, £15 pagid pads, fog ducts and it stops on a penny, I kid you not. By far the best/cheapest set up ive had on a clio

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Make them yourself mate or there is a link someone posted in the ebay section the other day

I was going to say ive had basic discs on a saxo before with CL pads and they were fantastic. MOT time the rear brakes provided enough power by themselves!! Never faded on track either!

Sound's like you're on the right lines tbh.

Nothing wrong with getting ideas in a thread like this, but as you say get decent tyres on it & do bedford. Then you'll form a much better opinion of what you think the car needs next.

Yeah its the best way to be honest. I was in the car with my younger brother only today and he was like "go on get up the ass of that vxr" to which I was just like "but it pisses me off when people do it to me"

Such a difference a few years make to attitudes. There really is no 100% safe way to go fast on theroads nowadays. You can limit the risk by doing it out of town on duel carriageways etc but the risk is always there. In the back of my mind I always think of my 3 year old son and how I would live if something bad happened. Thats whyim going to save it all for next summer and get some serious trackdays on the go....just hope the Clio is reliable!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Definitely the most cost effective mod is to remove the vibration damping washers under the car seats. 1 hour max or so to do all of them, it's free and totally transforms the seating position.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
The lower gearbox mount. It looks like a dog bone. The standard ones are quite soft so if you like to ram your car through the gears film style or are competing it's not up to the job. I've not had a problem myself but then I don't care about those couple of tenths I lose changing smoothly and doing my best to get my heel and toe sorted with that fly by wire throttle to also safe guard the dairylea synchro's in this box. It's a bit like PSA's ma box. Not really up for a fight.

Also thanks to that heavy lump of 2.0 up the front a bit of trail braking works well in these cars. Keeps the front gripping and the ass loose. I'm still learning but it has transformed the cars balance on turn in and is keeping the standard pads intact for much longer.

mk1 Octavia VRS
The standard ones are quite soft so if you like to ram your car through the gears film style or are competing it's not up to the job.
Or if your standard one is worn and/or you want to improve the gearchange...
I don't compete or ram my car through the gears, mine had a horrible gear change when I got it and fitting this was a vast improvement. The only downside is a bit more vibration at idle.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
It's all lost on me. The 182 I had before and the 172 cup now with a B+M quickshift both shift fine on standard dog bones. But then I ain't fussy. I don't mind the steering wheel, driving position or anything else to be honest. I just get in, drive to the track and use whatever the car and the set of Conti sport 3 tyres it has on at the moment will give me and I love every minute of it. I hd PS3's on a 182FF and I couldn't fault it.

If it's knackered then why not polybush it as it's only a few quid more.

Yep I can't keep up with the stripped out brigade but I'm not having any less fun.

Mod if you want but it ain't a requirement. Driving with a bit of sympathy goes a long way to having a cheap and reliable car.

Best mod for these is front camber bolts if your heavy on the tyres.

2003 Clio 172
Definitely the most cost effective mod is to remove the vibration damping washers under the car seats. 1 hour max or so to do all of them, it's free and totally transforms the seating position.

I've never heard of this! Is there a guide?
I was just wondering on my 150 mile ride home last night if there is anything you can do to the stock seats to lower them slightly.