ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT - exhaust/brakes/lights issues. Any help or advice please!

cliosport 172
OK - had some brill help on here before - and now i have just taken my 172 for its MOT.

The car has more or less sat idle for best part of a year, but i did expect to pass.... mad i know....

So - he says there is a prob with the lamp, said for me to undo the light, unplug it - then clean the connection and it should be ok.
I've never touched a clio - never mind a ight, but was shocked to find just one screw thing seems to hold it all together - unplugged the light - the whole thing comes away, and i put it back on - checked all of my lights with neighbour and all seems fine.

Exhaust - this is a prob - he says it failed the emissions bug time due to the centre box being pitted and leaking, then said - prob dont need a new centre box - could be welded? Does he mean somebody could put a plate over the pits? Seal the holes? What's the craik?

Then - rear brakes - he says they read 70 - he was expecting 200, whatever that means. So i said - do you mean it needs new pads/discs or what?
He says - prob just need them striping back and cleaning - FFS - i have no idea!

Can anybody recomend a friendly garage that could do this minor bit of stuff? I'm in Bedworth - near Coventry and Nuneaton.

Also - since getting back in the car the engine management light is on, and i've hardly any power after about 30 to 40 mph - it wasnt like that before - and there is a light in the dash on showing like a curly electrical thing - wtf is that?

I'm not a car man in the repair and fixing of things - would value some advice.

The MOT centre i have used before and had no issues - £30.

Listerine & Poledo
dont know about the exhaust, but the rear lights are fairly simple, even I could do it (and I am mechanically useless).

If you look around in the boot you'll find twist-clips that you can remove the ligt cluster with. It comes out in one go. Remove the wiring, give the terminals some wire wool cleaning, then refit/.

Should be alright

As for the brakes, is yours a Cup? If so there's some little-known exemption about their brakes, not sure if relevant though

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
If its not been driven i'd take it for a good drive. Might free the brakes up and sort the emissions a bit.