ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT Help Please

ph2 172
Hi all,

I had a MOT yesterday, the car failed on 3 points.

A cracked front spring, number plate bulb and the the bit im writing this post about - Parking brake mechanism/associated mounting area is fractured.

I asked what this was and basically where the handbrake is attached to the car has come away. They're fix which they wish to carry out tomorrow is to remove the seat and carpets and weld it back. I didnt really like the sound of this so when i got home I phoned a mechanic friend of mine, he had a look and said its not fractured its just the bolt that holds the unit to the chassis (which is spot welded at manufacture) has detatched.

My friend removed the bolt and put a new one in. So my question is will the garage get funny about the repair and fail it again even though the unit is now safe?

Oh and how much should I expect to pay for the spring + fitting?

Cheers

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
depends where you get the spring from mate, but it shouldnt be to much tbh, will take less than an hour to fit

secondhand might be your best bet, as new springs are £100+ea from Renault. or one of these aftermarket sets

Spring can be had for about £40 new.

Though I daresay you could get a pair from on here for about £20 if your looking for OE.

ph2 172
Euro car parts are around £40, and the garage said it would be around that too so ill just let them crack on with it!

Mainly a tow truck
It seems quite common for the bolts to come loose on the handbrake, as a said above aslong as its all nice and tight and work how it should it will be fine.

Good luck with the re test.

Carl