ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT problem with my plates!

I've just had a phone call telling me my car has failed it's MOT, because of the number plates. I have the Pressed alluminium road legal plates (from Dubmiester) and the guys down at Hi-Q feel otherwise. They are failing the MOT and i have to pay a retest fee of 26 quid and buy some other plates:mad:.

Where do i stand on this, and what way of proving they are legal? the Guy in Hi-Q seems to think no piece of paper off the internet his gonna change his veiws!

Livid.

pic of the plates.
f_wg1sav9m_1016bd5.jpg

Dynamique Flamer
Surely the place you brought them must have something on paper to show they are legal and can show MOT place?

Dynamique Flamer
Ouch do they have a store if so i would go in there and tell them they are not road legal and that you want them to make up some road legal ones as they werent what you asked for (being the fact you wanted road legal)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Pressed plates are never legal, they need to have the postcode of the place you got them from in the middle at the bottom of the plate to be legal, also if you didnt give your V5 when you had them done again they arnt properly legal.

Edit: pic arrvied, I can see the postcode!! wierd, swear pressed plates arnt legal though.

I had to supply ID & registration doc etc as if i was buyng road legal plates, I'm sure others on here have these plates.

(they are reflective too)

Not sure about 1973 thing, I thought that only applied to black and white. The W is wrong though so I guess you were just unlucky they were being thorough..

Take it to another MOT tester and see if they fail it. If they don't demand your money back from the original tester.

Take it to another MOT tester and see if they fail it. If they don't demand your money back from the original tester.
Looks a legitimate fail though. The W is not the correct font. Anal I know but nothing they will hand money back for.

M2 / Golf GTI
I have legal pressed and had no problems, not been pulled even when followed or anything. Not been through an MOT yet but have old plates so will use them for that.

Clio 1.2 Billabong
My plates don't have the British standard reference number and they were supplied by the Renault dealer when the car was brand new in 2003. Everything else is legit.

My old plate had a crack in it so changed them to these new ones, i was told and under the impression they where road legal etc from carnosseur. Looks like i'm gonna have the pay the retest fee :(. Gonna go put a fcuk into the the guy that sold them to me though, want my £34.99 back.

After looking at some other number plates, yes the 'W' does look wrong, at a distance i guess it could be mistaken for a 'V'.

Thanks for the input.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
pressed plates arnt legal FULL STOP, why people think they are is beyond me.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
^ idd, bit hard though if hes being told they are legal by the place selling them.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
well yea, but really anything other than whats already on your car from new isnt legal, text, size, colour, country banner (e.g. GB, D, E, F)

Bumder With A Buffer
I did say "I Think" after reading back through another thread I realised that those are just normal pressed paltes for show use...They had another section on Dubmeister for LEGAL pressed plates.

Although even if you look at Andys ones above they are faaar more legable (sp) than the OP's

Clio GT 1.6
It appears the font is not british font even though it does have supplier name and postcode also the bsau145d in the right corner. We supply legal pressed plates from my work www.craigsplates.com the are fully legal with british font the margin spacing is correct and the letter spacing is correct also come with are name and postcode will need to see docs though. If its not pressed in british font its not legal if it doesnt have suppliers name and postcode also the bsau145d mark its not legal.

Bumder With A Buffer
Lol at the above.. I just put my standard front one on for mot time then when it comes back off comes the front and on goes the illegal small one :)

Simples :)

All depends on how picky the MOT station is tbh, I've been through 2 now with my plates on that have no postcode etc on them, the rear one has an illegal badge aswell.