ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mount Sub upside down?

Ph 1 172
hey people i want to mount my sub upside down i.e with the magnet facing up (obviously this is all in the boot!) the problem i have is that the mdf floor i have made im not sure weather it can bolt straight on there or weather it needs a gap on the floor so it can move air. If that makes any sense please help me.
thank you

Polo + Micra
you still need an enclourse for the box no matter which way it's mounted don't wanna run it free air:dead:

Ph 1 172
basically i saw one of the audio bahn subs that looked like the magnet was showing and thats the way i want to mount it with the magnet showing not the cone. is it possible or was i going crazy?

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
domjolly said:
basically i saw one of the audio bahn subs that looked like the magnet was showing and thats the way i want to mount it with the magnet showing not the cone. is it possible or was i going crazy?

No, your not crazy. Mounting subs "upside down" in theory makes no difference. The magnet sticking up just doesnt look very nice. (but read on)

The basics of any speaker mounting is to provide either a sealed box mounting or a vented box mounting.
I always compare a speaker in a car to a speaker in your lounge, when did you last see a speaker mounted in a plank standing in the corner of a room?

The sealed box is easier in as much as the chance of producing a reasonable amount of low frequency are improved by using this simple type of mounting. It realy doesnt matter whether the magnet is inside or out BUT if you choose out, then reverse the polarity on the terminals or it will, to use a simple phrase, be sucking instead of blowing.

A tuned box is not complicated but you do need to know how to measure sound wavelengths and frequencies or at least interpret makers specifications, to design the port or vent. (best left alone unless you can do this).

If you are going to simply put a "plank" in your boot and mount a speaker in it, be prepared for disappointment. All you will do is increase the volume but you wont produce much real bass. You would be better off simply installing a wedge shaped box with, say a 10"" driver as a sealed enclosure and take it out when you need the boot space.

The other option is to buy one of the many round enclosures designed to fit in a spare wheel. They work quite well, but for me, they dont stack up as "proper" enclosures.

Bass tubes are good but, fit up your amp etc then go somewhere that will allow you to audition them before you buy. Experiment with mounting position, I used to find the original Bazookas worked better facing back towards the rear of the car, but try for the best place that sounds good to you.

Good luck:cool:

Ph 1 172
thanks people i decided to mount my other sub in there instead not decided what to do with the upside down one though. thank you for you help much appreciated