ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MP OF a digital slr?

soon to be 172
I have been looking at a few digital slr's and alot of them are 6.1mp ect.

Now my shitty cybershot camera had 12.1 mp so why is a digi slr only 6.1?

Would it be able to take great pics or do i need to spend the extra few hundred to get a 12mp slr?

If any of you have taken pics with a 6.1 slr please post them up!!

172 Cup, Ibiza Cupra
Don't see why you can't get some great pics on a 6.1mp (Nikon D40 etc). MP doesn't mean alot unless you are planning to print the pictures off at a huge size.

SLR's have bigger and better sensors etc than point and shoots.
Had and argument with my mate once as he stated his 8MP Camera phone was better than the D40 I had at the time as it had 2 more mega pixels.

Cupra
As said, it is the size of the sensor that matters more than the MP count. Unless you are doing billboard size photos, then anything more than 10 is overkill really. Although it is useful for cropping afterwards.

The glass on SLR's also makes a huge difference over the stuff on a POS.

It all comes down to willy waving from the manufacturers, and the fact that some people will always buy into something for the MP count.

I used to get the same comments about my 8/10 MP SLRs from people who know nothing, the same are now impressed when I can say that I have 21 in the new one. :clown:

See the image below for examples:

3636481145_7b04fc44a7.jpg

vtr, 172, s1 rallye
Mega pixel pinchers are generally the staff of jessops who dont have a clue and tell you more is better.

Theres more to what makes a good camera than how many MP it has.