ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MPG's to France - Silly Q

BG 182
OK not sure if this is in the right section so please move it if not, me and my girlfriend are taking a trip to france on friday by road, and were currently having a debate about wether her car or my car would be more suitable and economical fuel wise

Her car: peugeot 206 1.1 16v
Mine: 182

What do you think would be better and save us money on fuel?

Dan

E46 M3
The pug will use less fuel but be really horible for such a long trip. You have cruise, you win.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
1.1 will be better. But for the little saved i'd go in the 182.

Qashcow
1.1 that far wouldnt even be an option for me tbh. 182 will get 40+ mph on the french motorways as theyre empty and your not always stop start like in the UK

BG 182
I know the 182 will be more comfortable, but were looking for affordability, plus its gunna stick loads of milage on the RS

I know the 182 will be more comfortable, but were looking for affordability, plus its gunna stick loads of milage on the RS

So you want to take the RS but can't due to mileage and and slightly lower fuel economy? That leaves you with the 206.

It's really a question then of comfort vs cost & mileage. We can all agree that the Clio would be a much better car to take, but only you know how much saving £40 in fuel and a teeny bit in resale value on the RS means to you.

320d

Its not a supercar miles aren't a big deal.

Just take the 182. There is no way i'd want to drive all the way to france is a 60bhp 206.

BG 182
Think im being convonced to take the 182 now lol
The french are crazy on the roads so ive heard hope no-one bumps me haha

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
Even going on holiday to Somerset I took the clio over a 1.4 pug 206. Had to do about 90mph on the way there due to leaving late, and then passing people driving too slow down the country roads. Even after doing three car overtakes and making the missus cry in fear I still think I made the right decision. Sometimes comfort and effortless power is well worth having over the price of fuel.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I've done 2 big trips to France in the 172 and with a mixture of steady away on the motorways at 80-90 and plenty of thrashing on the country roads I got back with an average of 39-40mpg. Was great fun so I would deffo take take the 182 tbh.

I've done 2 big trips to France in the 172 and with a mixture of steady away on the motorways at 80-90 and plenty of thrashing on the country roads I got back with an average of 39-40mpg. Was great fun so I would deffo take take the 182 tbh.

Wish i could have got that kinda MPG, took my down the south of spain and only got 31 :(
The French are pretty good on the motorways, they dont stay in the fast lane and they moving over for you.
Have fun and take the 182!!!

BG 182
Wish i could have got that kinda MPG, took my down the south of spain and only got 31 :(
The French are pretty good on the motorways, they dont stay in the fast lane and they moving over for you.
Have fun and take the 182!!!

See Ive heard that the french drive like wacky races lol

Not from what i seen on the motorways anyway, only went on a few local roads though, and also fill your car up with fuel before you leave the uk, when i went the fuel was more expensive than the uk even going to petrol stations off the motorway

Qashcow
I did 3000 miles in the Clio last year, 2250 of them in Europe. Managed 31mpg average including the alps, 5+ mountain passes, 140+ on autobahn and 5 laps of the ring. I shouldn't worry about fuel and mileage ;)

Qashcow
I found they wave fingers at you if your driving down the motorway with Boosh sitting on the door out an open window in the outside lane lol, other than that we had no problems with any French driving