ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MX5 Number 2.

I kinda really like your USDM lights :( Well done Joeyd

I still havent seen this thing yet but i cant tell you how pointless those cali scents are in an mx5, they last like a day.

Yes you have! I parked next to your car at the Stockport meet. It was probably so high that you couldn't see it...
USDM lights are eaaasy, it's getting the indicators to work properly that's proving to be a ball ache. They're going fast like there's a bulb out - but there obviously isn't... maybe just less resistance in the 501 sidelight bulbs than the proper indicators? Not sure...

liking the progress. cant believe the wheel nut still isnt off, surely any garage with an air gun/drill could do it?

you would prob get £5 an alloy at the scrap man, regardless of damaged caused and if the tyres are good £5-10 each from a part worn place?

Yeah, it's all just down to me being lazy tbh. And also I've been back over the other side of the country on my days off for the past two weeks - so not really had a chance either I guess.
I actually still need to spray up the fourth wheel :eek: It's just sooooo annoying sanding all the little crevices.

The first time I ever drove after passing my test, I picked my mates up and went for petrol without noticing I left the lights on. So in the time it took to fill up and pay, the battery died lol. My parents had to come bump start it haha.

I gotta get me one of those! Iirc his smells a bit like aniseed/marzipan

Haha, I can't imagine mine lasted very long... I left them on for 5 hours whilst doing a quick shift at work, so it had no chance!

Rb 182
Liking the sidelioghts via the indicators, might steal that idea for when i get mines.

No joy getting that wheel off yet?

Sidelights are easy! Just chop the live wires of the indicator and sidelight and swap them around. Getting the indicators to flash at a normal speed is proving slightly more tricky... I've been looking into dual filament bulbs - so the the sidelights get brighter when the indicator is on. I guess that'd be proper USDM!

Nah, RAC guys air compressor wasn't big enough apparently - with a bigger one, the nut should come free as he could get enough force on the gun to push it into the nut. Should be able to just take it to a garage and have them gun it out... but I sleep during the times that garages are open, so I'll just have to wait for my next day off!

Yeah, I thought it was to do with the resistance. I think I'm going to make the whole unit light up with the indicators now though - leave the sidelights as they currently are, but use a dual filament bulb and bulb holder, and then also make the little 501 bulbs light up with the indicators too...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
7604899852_e5de61f14e_z.jpg

IMG_1408 by gal666, on Flickr

Went down to EFI-Parts today with the rest of the NW lot. I was always going to put it on the rollers, but it was more for a laugh than anything (I was going for lowest power of the day, but was beaten to it by a Zetec S and a VTR! :()
The good news is that it's quite a healthy engine! Apparently an MX5 day was held at EFI not so long ago, and they had trouble calculating transmission losses - so ATF power is to be taken with a pinch of salt. ATW power is accurate, though; most standard 1.6's make around 85hp ATW, so when it made 89.5hp I was pretty impressed!

7669218316_315a7d49b9_z.jpg

~119hp ATF/89.5hp ATW by j0eyD, on Flickr

7672702632_5b168daf41.jpg

MX5 ATF by j0eyD, on Flickr

7672698756_f2f1f19853.jpg

MX5 ATW by j0eyD, on Flickr

Can't believe how smooth the curve is too!

Had a great day, anyway - well worth the £30, even if it was just to see that it's still healthy after 20 years...

Flol! At least now I've got an excuse for buying such a tatty looking thing :eek:
I would have been happy if it just made it into three figures and didn't blow up - didn't expect it to make anything like that!

Flol! I'm working nights all week, I'm all screwed up sleeping wise :(
I'll get it done... probably!
My main concern is making the 8.45am meet for the convoy, and staying awake for the rest of the day! Christ.
What's left to do on yours? (Or shouldn't I ask?)

I'll save most people some reading: It's still not low.

Anyway,
Fiiiiiiinally got the rotten, 'orrible wheel off just in time for CSS.. although there's actually more photos of me than the car in the picture thread :eek:
It was quite dirty though in fairness, so I'll let you all off.

Tonight I chucked some mucky water over it and rubbed an oily rag on it and it's come out half clean - so what better opportunity to take some pictures.
My girlfriend has recently been given a car to use for a few months and she hasn't driven in over a year, so I've been trying to help her remember how to do it. (also have a newfound respect for driving instructors! Mental patience needed!!) She's got confident enough to drive alone with me following, so I grabbed some quick pictures while we stopped.

7749669472_6e09695c4d_z.jpg

DSC_1869 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7749668120_93207b8fed_z.jpg

DSC_1870 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7749665410_f31cf3f58a_z.jpg

DSC_1872 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7749662610_5c210d9aa1_z.jpg

DSC_1881 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7749659816_d34e94d63d_z.jpg

DSC_1884 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7749658432_35910613e7_z.jpg

DSC_1885 by j0eyD, on Flickr

I don't know when it's going to be low - probably whenever HM Revenue and Customs get their arses into gear and stop charging me out of my arse for income tax. The dicks.

Listerine & Poledo
I'd get the sills resprayed before I worried about making it undriveable.

But, then, I need my sills doing anyway

This isn't an MX5 rally car project is it?....

7751339602_7a0010266c_z.jpg

camera 069 by Eddie the Kid, on Flickr

I did have a look at some Rally cars for inspiration... but as you just proved - they all look absolute garbage!
:(

I'd get the sills resprayed before I worried about making it undriveable.

But, then, I need my sills doing anyway

Nah, I'm not even going to try and repair this shell - it's pointless. There's rust everywhere - I tried jacking the car up by the jacking point on the sills the other day to try and get at the exhaust and everytime I jacked it up the sill just crumbled. Tried the chassis rails, and they just bent.
The plan is to buy all the fancy parts and fit them to this, then save for a better base car, transfer all the nice bits to that, then either scrap or sell this shell... We'll see!

Angle grinder + springs = slammed mx-5 y0! ?

just junk the springs and run on bump rubbers.... shirley?

Not. Low. Enough.

Well, the smallest of the coming bits has been fitted... It's a Kakimoto, except the only box in the exhaust has been removed. So it's a straight pipe.
Sounds F**king mental. I love it half of the time, but feel slightly conspicuous the rest. I think it'll be a bit more in-fitting when it's slammed etc. Meh, makes me smile so who cares!

If anyone has heard Seb's (sofaboy) red MX5, it's his exhaust. Except we fitted a proper decat pipe, so if anything it's slightly louder. Pops more too (and they're more like loud Cracks than pops!), being a 1.6.

Here it is on his car for the last time...

7775257842_69c79c2415_z.jpg

Bye Bye R ACK by j0eyD, on Flickr

Here it's fitted to mine:

7777151910_c7368bd296_z.jpg

GwizTEC by j0eyD, on Flickr

7777146518_6c6ab47112_z.jpg

GwizTEC by j0eyD, on Flickr

The next few bits and bobs won't be on for a couple of months I imagine - but things are certainly going to improve in quite a big way if everything goes ahead!

I've got a video uploading, but really the camera can't pick up the sound it makes at all.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
F*ck that! must be stupidly loud? my decatted etc Mazdaspeed is bad enough going any further than a few miles..

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
LOL! Amazing!

Ive had my unsilenced n1 on my ep3 for 4 days and I have been pulled once, yus! :eek:

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I like the look of aftermarket exhaust just not the sound. Well, from some. Subtle ftw.