ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MX5 Number 2.

Listerine & Poledo
It's all goodj arguing about how road cars are faster round corners than racing cars. Heh heh.

Particularly when being driven on roads ;)

Just a thought, have you checked the timing? If it's an early 1.6 you can sometimes liberate some mid-range by fettling the timing alone. Check MX5OC for info on this as it's been a while since I read it.
And, in fairness, I had a Mk.2 1.8, so it really didn't apply

Nope apparently the Rokkors are different and don't have that issue, getting them from Germany as all the ones on UK eBay are TA's in various states of rebrand..

Just need to find some NB topmounts now!

Ahh, I see! Mine were absolutely awful! It gave me genuine back pain.
Came with the car and I was skint at the time, so didn't get round to swapping them.

For extra lows buy the Mk2 coilovers and topmounts.

Mk2 coilovers are cheaper iirc and also go lower. It also means with the top mounts from the Mk2 the car is lower than with mk1 topmounts so you can run it just as low with more suspension travel left if you get me. Kind of like when people run solid top mounts on the clio.

Yeah, I heard this... you get solid top mounts with the HSD's, so I'm assuming they're the same between NA & NB... will look it up to be certain though.

Particularly when being driven on roads ;)

Just a thought, have you checked the timing? If it's an early 1.6 you can sometimes liberate some mid-range by fettling the timing alone. Check MX5OC for info on this as it's been a while since I read it.
And, in fairness, I had a Mk.2 1.8, so it really didn't apply

Yeah, advancing the timing gives a chunk of midrange torque. Just need a timing gun! Lol

These arrived:

7407016828_b246c618e6_z.jpg

DSC_1507 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7407015886_ee9ca2b18a_z.jpg

DSC_1511 by j0eyD, on Flickr

So glad I got new ones, they actually still adjust!

Had some awesome GermanEnglish on the box (Not quite as good as Jap Engrish though LOL)

7407015150_f952180726_c.jpg

DSC_1512 by j0eyD, on Flickr

At least my eys will be rest in the Night time.

There's no way I'm going anywhere near the paint on them!

They're so smooth - forgotten what new paint feels like.
Going to get a rear calliper ordered, because I've decided the one on it is fucked. Seized straight back up, even with copious amounts of WD. It's also caked in 20 years worth of shite, so I'm not going to even try and refurb it. CBA!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
There's no way I'm going anywhere near the paint on them!

They're so smooth - forgotten what new paint feels like.
Going to get a rear calliper ordered, because I've decided the one on it is f**ked. Seized straight back up, even with copious amounts of WD. It's also caked in 20 years worth of s**te, so I'm not going to even try and refurb it. CBA!

Post up in NWA and tag Dane Duncan.

See how much he can get them at GSF.

It's all coming together really quite nicely! I've just received news that I may have access to a small amount of money, meaning the lows this thread needs so badly will be here soon.
Yippeee.

Update on this due tonight, anyway!

New MOT rules mean your seat has to lock into three places unless its obviously a track/racing car iirc.
I'll get it done afterwards. Along with getting rid of that number plate. I think if I take it off once, it'll never go back on again, looking at the bolts LOL

Ah, I see! :eek:

Update

Well, it's not a big one, but I've had a loooong day. Mainly because I've had to walk everywhere to get tools etc.
Firstly, I fitted the mirrors - had to file down a locating tab on the bottom of the base which was horrible! Mainly because they're brand new.

7409002048_5fd6a7571b.jpg

Before by j0eyD, on Flickr

7409005982_2073558d14.jpg

After :( by j0eyD, on Flickr

7409005000_a362379bb3.jpg

Shiny Shiny by j0eyD, on Flickr

7409004140_41cef4b959.jpg

Blue Lenzzzezzzz by j0eyD, on Flickr

Removed the mudflap things, using a hammer and chisel. Didn't even attempt to undo the bolts again. Just absolutely destroyed the flaps.

7409003384_ffce6f367a.jpg

f**k you mudflap by j0eyD, on Flickr

7409002590_aa0ebe3657.jpg

Broke by j0eyD, on Flickr

Which left me with this:

7409001172_907758cc3d.jpg

Black Mirrorrzzzzz by j0eyD, on Flickr

Then, tonight I decided to spray the drivers sill - including the front wing, so it all matches now. Just need to do the passenger side in the same colour! lol.
I also cleaned up a little where the flaps had been - still need to clay them though...

7410104320_79f7a90746.jpg

Painted Sill by j0eyD, on Flickr

7410102922_a696fb9745.jpg

Painted Sill by j0eyD, on Flickr

7410101534_059cc4a85c.jpg

Flapless by j0eyD, on Flickr

So this is where it's at as of now:

7410100130_dd157ea028.jpg

Progress by j0eyD, on Flickr

Still sits weirdly high at the front IMO... Might be the wheels making it look that way?
Anyway, next week the BBS's should be coming (Jamie, I'll PM you about the courier tomorrow) and then possibly HSD's.. Possibly.

Haha, yeah the chassis rails will have scraped away by this time next year. That's my aim - holes in the floorpan & being pissed off every time I drive it because it's too low :cool:

Another small update:

Fitted a new rear calliper, as the old one was seized right up!

7454185096_9104ed6117_c.jpg

DSC_1537 by j0eyD, on Flickr

7454184622_3b80171386_c.jpg

DSC_1538 by j0eyD, on Flickr

This is what had seized on the old one - the handbrake mech. You could put the handbrake on, but it would never release properly.

7454184084_c44f99cde0_c.jpg

DSC_1539 by j0eyD, on Flickr

So that's all sorted. Need to bleed the brakes a bit more as they're still slightly spongey.

And today....

IMAG0351.jpg

MOT'd!!
Dead happy with that. Massive thanks to Rhys for putting me into contact with someone quickly. I was beginning to lose the will to live using public transport 4 hours a day!
Just waiting on these BBS's from Jamie as I've got a slow puncture ffs, and then I'll be in touch with DriftWorks in a few days :D
Absolutely love driving it with the new brake - it doesn't feel like I'm constantly dragging a dead cow behind me anymore! lol.

Should you not have done both sides at once? Or does it really not matter?

Just thinking one will be more efficient that the other, would it not.

Glad its MOT'd and the BBS and coilovers are on their way!

Listerine & Poledo
So long as they both work, you're alreet.

I had a caliper go on my 5, didn't even know about it until the MOT.

Yeah, it's not quite like when you replace pads and discs - as long as they work that's all that matters. Plus it's rear callipers - they don't really do a lot anyway.

I'll be at the next KK's NWA meet too, it's been like 2 weeks since I've seen you all!

Last edited:
Haha! I laughed when he raised the car up... very crusty! LOL.
The wheels should be coming today, but I'm beginning to lose hope. They've given me a tracking number and it doesn't even say they've been picked up yet :S

Adz

Work van
coming along now dude :D adjust them headlight covers looks like they have dropped a little and are not lining up with the bonnet, what bbs and size you getting? pm if you want.

Yeah, that's another little job I need to get round to doing...
They're just Eunos wheels - 14x6, et45 iirc.
But some absolutely massive spacers will make them look alright - they're just going to be a bit skinny lol. (better for sideways!)