ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MX5 Number 2.

Excited! Also ordered some new wheel nuts, but nobody wants to hear about those.

Not sure whether it'd be wise to order a new set of damper/wishbone bolts... I imagine the ones currently fitted are quite rotten!

F**k it! it's only like running a smaller offset wheel... As long as they're hubcentric they shouldn't be sooo bad. I had 25mm's on my Clio and never noticed the difference tbh.

You going longer studs and a slip over hubcentric, or bolt on? Mine were bolt on hubcentric and I'm adamant that's why they felt s**t up front. Sandwiched on the studs directly into the hubs is the way I'd go in the future.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Expensive hubcentrics are great IME, cheap ones do feel funny though.

I think it's due to how light and how well they sit flush with the wheel/hub if you get expensive ones.

You going longer studs and a slip over hubcentric, or bolt on? Mine were bolt on hubcentric and I'm adamant that's why they felt s**t up front. Sandwiched on the studs directly into the hubs is the way I'd go in the future.

I always thought the best way to go about it was to get bolt on ones? Longer studs make me think it would be a weaker set up?

Expensive hubcentrics are great IME, cheap ones do feel funny though.

I think it's due to how light and how well they sit flush with the wheel/hub if you get expensive ones.

They're not exactly cheap at £150!

These weren't cheap ones though. Bolt on is w**k IMO, you're adding an extra point of leverage. It's minute, but it's enough.

I suppose when you think about it that way it kind of makes sense. Weird one! Not sure how much of a pain it would be to get out all the studs and add longer ones though?

Is it low yet?

No, my arch gap still beats yours :(

What film you going to see?

Wrong thread? LOL

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Your tabs on the screenshot ;)

What wheelnuts you got some fancy drifty ones?

Adz

Work van
HSD DT's Adz, 14-clicks on the dampers instead of 16, and ever so slightly softer springs. Plus they're a slightly different design, but they go just as low and will perform almost as well, AFAIK.

if the rears are the same as the hr's you have 3 locking collars ... for maximum lows you will need to remove one of the bottom ones ;)

I thought that, but studs piss out. Old wheel nut on them and a sharp smack with a 4lb hammer.

Hmmm, might have to look into that then!

Not for long :(

Fingers crossed. Going to just buy them outright now I reckon - won't be tied to them if it gets pinched again or anything...

if the rears are the same as the hr's you have 3 locking collars ... for maximum lows you will need to remove one of the bottom ones ;)

Yeah - think they're exactly the same in that respect. Separate height, damper and preload adjustment - just softer springs and slightly less damper adjustment I think. Should be able to go as low as yours!

I think I made a good choice with this wheel colour. Just need to get that front f**king wheel off now!

7494892224_16b0842cc3_z.jpg

Bronze by j0eyD, on Flickr

7494893930_8211f7fe85_z.jpg

7494895338_6dd07ca774_z.jpg

7494897022_757c472ee1_z.jpg

Just need to do the other three now... :coffee:

Listerine & Poledo
set of MazdaSpeed springs and you're sorted... I think they were just rebranded Bilsteins too

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
You could fit an FRP in that arch x

Do like the colour mate, nice one.

This could fit in a Trophy's arch gap, and I still could pitch up a tent with room to spare. True story; I'll show you at CSS.
Still not cleaned it BTW ;)

Just to piss goodj off:

7509310770_3809a0873b_z.jpg

MX5 low by j0eyD, on Flickr

Soooo close to looking half decent!
I don't need a car set up for B-road blasting, handling, track use etc. I drive for about 20 minutes on the motorway to work, so if it handles like s**t I'll never know. I saw a set of MazdaSpeed coilovers on MX5Nutz recently, going for £300. They were rusty, a bit knackered and will probably handle far worse than a set of brand new fully adjustable HSD's. Just saying, OEM isn't always best...

Rb 182
Love it. It's hard to not buy a Mx-5 at the mo. If i didnt have so much debt/house/kid/only just sold some of my cars, i'd have one bought and ruined by now.

Fcuk me, rotten as a peach!

It's mental isn't it - the arches which have completely misshapen are probably the worst... I've not looked under the sill plates in the door shuts yet, but I'm expecting proper holes!
Meh, keep it for a year, save up for a nicer one, transfer the nice parts I buy. Sorted!

Jewish Racing gold looks good there. Needs less tyre though, but I bet there's nothing small enough!

175/50/14 small enough? Seen some for about £30 a corner LOL. Probably worse than Nangkangs though...
I've kind of warmed to the idea of having big fat tyres, but they never really look that good on properly slammed cars without having overfenders.

Love it. It's hard to not buy a Mx-5 at the mo. If i didnt have so much debt/house/kid/only just sold some of my cars, i'd have one bought and ruined by now.

Lol! They are awesome fun for under £1k, get one bought and enjoy it until it falls to pieces (very soon if its as rusty as this one!)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
That's the beauty of these, modify until it breaks, swap all the bits over, still sell rotten car for good money thanks to scene tax!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
HSD's will make the car handle fantastically, low or not.

Will be 100x better than the worn out shocks that are on there now.

So there.

Listerine & Poledo
HSD's will make the car handle fantastically, low or not.

Will be 100x better than the worn out shocks that are on there now.

So there.

Well, yes, that isn't a question at all.

Anyway, when are you binning off your shopping trolley for an Eunos then Luke?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Well, yes, that isn't a question at all.

Anyway, when are you binning off your shopping trolley for an Eunos then Luke?

Car will be up for sale at the end of the month mate, probs first at CSS.

Still not sure whether I'll go for an mx5 or not though! Need to have a go out in one to see if I could live with one as a daily!

Looks good Joe! I miss it though.

It's getting there slowly but surely... You're not having it though - I'm only just getting started! :rasp:

Took it back to my parents new house today - some awesome roads round there! Even with s**te tyres on, it takes quite a bit of provoking in the form of a good clutch kick to get the back end out... Awesome fun when it does let go though! :eek:

7552219678_833f75cfc0_z.jpg

Wind Farm by j0eyD, on Flickr

7552215530_a49b1756a2_z.jpg

Buy British Pork by j0eyD, on Flickr

7552212292_3aa77da48b_z.jpg

Be proud of higher welfare by j0eyD, on Flickr

Fitted my Cobra seat tonight - but it's higher than the f**king standard one. It was in my GTI-6 too, so christ knows; must be the seat that's just s**t, or the side mounts.