ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 1.6 16v Project (Only Started....)

Clio 1.6 16v (K4M)
Hey guys..

I only joined this forum last week (and can admit I am now addicted)!
Loads of good advice from fellow owners and ideas a'plenty to help me with my project..

I am somewhat funny with cars and at only 23 I have already owned 16...(but lets not go onto that), thats why I wanted this 1600 clio as a project and something that can interest my hobby and no doubt once completed I will move onto something new again lol. Previously 3 cars where: RX8, Astra Turbo Coupe Bertone (running 251hp) and MitsubishiFTO (shows how random previous cars were lol).
But I have owned a couple of clios before this one and due to reliability and cheap fuel costs I new exactly that this car would be for me!! ps I love her! :)

I have finally got around to starting my thread of which this is a long term project but I will update weekly (or so) to keep track on this as I am keen for all types of feedback etc....

So far not much updates from standard im afraid but as I said all feedback welcome (although if you do just want to leave negative and sarky comments - pleas do one!) =)

Anyway....this is the clio as I brought her:

Clio 1.jpg
Clio 2.jpg

So straight away I started playing aroud with little bits n pieces (as you do when the funds are a little dry lol)...So straight away I painted the front badge matt black, added a black sunstrip (Iused to work as a car wrapper - graphics etc so inmy blood haha), bonnet raisers (please read on as these were swiftly removed), black tinted side repeaters added as they shortly arrived, carbon effect carbon door pillars (to cover a discolouration mark on drivers side - however starting to grow to them!)

Clio 3.jpg
Clio 4.jpg

So since the above little tweaks I drove her around for a couple of weeks whilst scanning ebay and different sources for ideas and bargains lol (I knew I wanted to replica a 182...but holding my time for cheap items whilst saving for the decent items (wheels, bumpers etc).

So few more little tweaks applied now (couple of weeks downthe line):

Clio 5.jpg
Clio 6.jpg

So now rearled lights applied (to get rid of the horrible standard lights) and yes although some of you will be eitherr shaking you head or laughing I do like these and at night they look great!! I have also upgradedthe rear nuber plate light to a tinted number (along with led white bulb). Applied K-Tec graphics (as I did manage to buy thier 182 replica exhaust - however still looking for 182 bumper to enableme to fit sob sob).

Clio 7.jpg

Ok so finally got the rear bumper (£10.49 on ebay!!!)...god was I happy to collect with a 50p coin and 10 note (although seller was reluctant should I say lol). But anyway I got this fitted along with the exhaust (sounds great as pops and burbles alittle lol) although not dead alined which I would have def def wanted this was a hell of an improvement so Im dead happy!!

Also acquired M3 wing mirrors (fitted if you can see) and although these are chavy and plastic I wanted these on to look alittle different and eventhough I hate them at the moment once colour coded they will look gd (and I will keep the standard to switch over as and when I feel lol).

*You have view the bumper is a 182 sliver and not my moonstone blue (but hey much better than a blue or black etc as I brought for the value and not the colour lol = winner winner!!)

Also I have now badged the rear up to replicate a clio 182! lol
Also sunstrip now off (chavy'ness gone lol - keeps coming up but happy to get rid of my crazy ideas lol)

Also now got the clio booked in for FULL colour coding including: Front bumper, Side and Rear bumper strips, Door handles, Rear spoiler and general touch up on any marks etc.....(1st week in October due to waiting list but great to catch up on funds andother things etc lol). Really cant wait to get this done as will no doubt change the looks on the whole project so far!!

Will update asap once done...........

So the project is slowly starting to take form (from the rear lol) but here is a BRIEF wishlist of my future purchases (next in line to get lol):
- 182 front bumper, wings, side skirts and spoiler
- 182 front grill (holding out to get front bumper complete with these - but thinking will buy front grill to add to mine in meantime! lol)
- 182 cup alloys (keep looking out for some lol and will get as and when! :( )
- 182 interioir
- 182/172 sport headlights with zenons
- Coilovers (again as and when set come up for good price lol)

As you guys can probably agree there is thousands of little things I will do and still want to do but as always this is time allowing and funds allowing etc...
So feedback welcome and pics will keep coming!!

I will attack the interior I thinking orange wrapping the trim etc....watch this space lol!!!

Thanks again and look forward to hearing / seeing some of you guys soon!
Jamie :)

BMW M135i
Were the rear badges like a game of pin the tail on the donkey? (not that they should be on there in the first place but thats another point intirely)

Clio 1.6 16v (K4M)
Yes...yes it was, thank you so much for that constructive feedback.....bmh.01 you clearly read my 'project' and understand what I said. Tnanks again for leaving your comment - put a smile on my face.

Inferno 182
Sorry but i hate non-sports that try and look like a sport. Whats the point? Just face it you haven't got a sport, either buy one or make your non-sport look nice, not something its not.

2014 Clio 200t edc
I don't understand (and maybe I have failed to read your thread properly) why you have gone from and rx8 and astra coupe to a 1.6 Clio. Surely a 1*2 would've been better from the start?
Much better IMHO.

Clio 1.6 16v (K4M)
Hi mate,

I do appriciate the honesty and can see your point (why go from performance to a 1.6 - of which there isnt much difference from a 1.2 in the first instance to look like a 182 which |it will never be).

The reason behind this is due to me wanting a project....and yes some people like you dont like it (of which you are welcome to your opponion) however I personally like the idea of a long term project that I can work on and have a laugh with. The reason I have dropped to this 1600 runner is due to petrol consumption and still having something nippy and I have always loved the clio's.

I think some people are easy to judge on other peoples choices of which I dont feel is a good personality traite however again this is MY feeling. I really love being on here and listening to positive feedback etc and any ideas towards my project would be great (hence the reason for making a thread - but maybe best keep yours to yourself) as lets be honest...not really constructive is it mate?

Thanks though - and I GENUINLY do want to chat and go to meets etc...so any genuine comments please feel free to leave! :)

Thanks guys
Jamie

Clio
Sorry but i hate non-sports that try and look like a sport. Whats the point? Just face it you haven't got a sport, either buy one or make your non-sport look nice, not something its not.

Although personally I'm not a huge fan of replicas I don't see why people insist on commenting things like this, if you dislike reps so much don't read replica threads. Not a huge fan of the rear lights but other than that good work, it's coming together nicely, at the end of the day it's your car don't let other people's opinions put you off, if you like it go for it! Should like real nice

Clio Mk2 Phase 1
Not a fan of the sun visor :/ I'd remove that tbh.

Also not a fan of the lights :rasp: Ph2 standard ones are nicer.

I think it looks tidy the way it's turning out to look, keep it up.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Hi mate,

I do appriciate the honesty and can see your point (why go from performance to a 1.6 - of which there isnt much difference from a 1.2 in the first instance to look like a 182 which |it will never be).

The reason behind this is due to me wanting a project....and yes some people like you dont like it (of which you are welcome to your opponion) however I personally like the idea of a long term project that I can work on and have a laugh with. The reason I have dropped to this 1600 runner is due to petrol consumption and still having something nippy and I have always loved the clio's.

I think some people are easy to judge on other peoples choices of which I dont feel is a good personality traite however again this is MY feeling. I really love being on here and listening to positive feedback etc and any ideas towards my project would be great (hence the reason for making a thread - but maybe best keep yours to yourself) as lets be honest...not really constructive is it mate?

Thanks though - and I GENUINLY do want to chat and go to meets etc...so any genuine comments please feel free to leave! :)

Thanks guys
Jamie

LOL

JLister got sat.

He has neither the join date nor post count to get away with that s**t lol...

Clio 1.6 16v (K4M)
Although personally I'm not a huge fan of replicas I don't see why people insist on commenting things like this, if you dislike reps so much don't read replica threads. Not a huge fan of the rear lights but other than that good work, it's coming together nicely

Cheers mate - someone who thinks like me to the extent of comments!! In regards to the rear lights....I was in thoughs about them but they have remained for now lol....but things could quite possibly change! Thanks though mate :)

Clio 1.6 16v (K4M)
Not a fan of the sun visor :/ I'd remove that tbh.

Also not a fan of the lights :rasp: Ph2 standard ones are nicer.

I think it looks tidy the way it's turning out to look, keep it up.

The sunvisor is already gone...the lights I'm not sure about yet...however thanks for the message mate, and I will try updating this thread!
Thanks for the feedback mate (need it lol)

Jamie

2014 Clio 200t edc
I can understand a little more now. And I'm not against your plans. I had a 1*2 1/2 rep years ago and loved it.
Moddifying or changing cars is a personal choice and I don't think anyone should tell you what to do or not to do. As long as you like it is all that matters!!

Clio Mk2 Phase 1
Keep the Ph2 standard lights and put in silvervisions or polarised ones (the ones that look like they have oil spilled on them lol).

Will keep an eye on this thread.

Clio 1.6 16v (K4M)
Ok mate I understand (I must admit I thought you were sounding quite arrogant in your last message).

But thanks - I am trying to personalise this little clio in time and I really am new to owning her and therefore since owning the best model to go off is the 182 cup....(obviously I didnt buy one as I wanted a huge change from the thirsty rx due to personal choices).

So bumpers, grill and alloys would be great although alot will be different so as not to be labelled directly as replica (althoughif she turns out that Im doing it from my own choices and dont care what Im labelled as - cause lets face it if we all cared about that car moddifying etc wouldnt happen! lol)

But yh mate any little ideas you could give on her etc would be great??
Thanks again,

Jamie

Clio
Hi mate,

Thanks guys
Jamie

Haha I love it!
Well done mate,
Subscribed:)

Clio 1.6 16v (K4M)
Keep the Ph2 standard lights and put in silvervisions or polarised ones (the ones that look like they have oil spilled on them lol).

Will keep an eye on this thread.

Ahh ok mate thanks sounds gd!!! Any idea best place to get these 'oil spilled' little bad boys?? lol
Thanks Jamie

e92 330i
Hi mate, car looks alright. If it was down to me, id loose the rs badge, m3 mirrors and lights, but its not down to me, so as you were.

I like reps, I totally see the point, but isn't the 1.6 + 2.0 very simular on fuel? Both around 35mpg? Just sayin.

I like the plans and will keep an eye on this as i love a non sport project :)

Clio 1.6 16v (K4M)
Hi mate, car looks alright. If it was down to me, id loose the rs badge, m3 mirrors and lights, but its not down to me, so as you were.

I like reps, I totally see the point, but isn't the 1.6 + 2.0 very simular on fuel? Both around 35mpg? Just sayin.

I like the plans and will keep an eye on this as i love a non sport project :)

Hi mate - your feelings on the changes (are EXACTLY what I would say about changing lol but need to be sure first! haha)
*Typical poor first choices I think lol...

Well I thought that when I was shopping around (as I had a £3k ish budget alot was available...) however there was a slight increase with the 1.6 and therefore she won the choice (only as I would miss the RX too much if the costs were around the same)...although once completed I might treat myself to one with the cup packs as do really fancy one already lol but hey enjoying the project atm and interested in learning allI can with these tidy little beasts! hahaha

Cant wait to gett her colour coded (next thing in 2 1/2 weeks) then order the coilovers....pics shouldbe ok then!! (de-badging I think is the next non-expense based mod now lol) followed by buying some wrap and attacking the interior...

Thanks though mate
Jamie

Clio Mk2 Phase 1
Ahh ok mate thanks sounds gd!!! Any idea best place to get these 'oil spilled' little bad boys?? lol
Thanks Jamie

Err have a look on eBay. I dunno the name lol. You could PM Tigger on here, I know he has them on his Ph2 rear lights. They look tidy.

Clio 1.6 16v (K4M)
Err have a look on eBay. I dunno the name lol. You could PM Tigger on here, I know he has them on his Ph2 rear lights. They look tidy.

Sweet mate - I will try have a look lol and if all fails Tigger will be getting a first class message lol...cheers matey!!

Clio Mk2 Phase 1
Oh gee; I just noticed the M3 mirrors :headno:. I do not like, then again I am more of an OEM+ kinda guy!

Clio 1.6 16v (K4M)
Haha I know what you mean and yes they are cheap and tacky with a rather horrid shiny black gloss finish...however as my mate has her booked in shortly to be colour coded Ive kept the standard mirrors and these m3 ones will be colour coded so I have the 2 sets in case I fancy change etc...

Jamie

Honda Civic EP2

"due to reliability and cheap fuel costs I new exactly that this car would be for me" f**k sake. You payed £10.50 for the rear bumper? I'll give you £12 for it?

e92 330i
Youll get loads on ebay for them lights.

Yeah mate we all do the cr*p mods before we see the light, i had wolfrace alloys and angel lights as my first mod, oh back in the day. At least you know you've done wrong ;)

Sweet man, 182 ff is a winner, rb or ly, they are the only colour options you have imo :)

Last edited:
  Clio 1.6 16v (K4M)
Haha yeah tell me about it...I start gathering bits n pieces and before you know it I have done wrong! haha

But atleast thanks too you guys and prev threads etc...I have direction! (colour code, coilovers, 182 grill, 182 headlights....) *I just ned to win the lottery lol then you guys would be impressed tomorrow lol...

Thanks though lads - cant wait for a meet to see some of you heros!
Jamie

05 MK2 Clio Extreme
i am feeling the blacked out badge! was debating it for my ol girl (same model + colour) and after seeing this i think its going to get done next weekend ;)

Clio 1.6 16v (K4M)
Little update...

I have now had more thought into how I want my little clio to look and I have to admit I am taking a different route (m3 mirrors = Gone, led rear lights = Gone)....

I have also just got her back from the local paint shop I use as she is all colour coded (again a good step forward) as the 182 rear bumper is now fully sprayed in along with the door handles, rear spoiler and full bump strips (along with a few nicks now tidied up!)

Heres a few pics (rubbish tbf as in the rain etc...) next step is new headlights (as mine are a lovely shade of green! lol) and a xenon kit, along with sport 182 grill.

Comments welcome as always!! Cheers guys...

Clio 1.jpgClio 2.jpg

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Looks good, If you are going for new lights and Xenon Kit, Just buy a set of 2nd hand 1*2 Xenon rather than new halogen lights and Xenon kit.

Clio 1.6 16v (K4M)
Hey...

Havent been updating much on here recently - although most of the projects seem to be looking awesome!!

I have made a few changes to mine (pics will follow I promise lol) but heres a little run through:

Carbon vented bonnet (christmas present from my hero of a missus!!)
Matt Black Morette Headlights (soon to be accompanied with a xenon kit in the near future)
Refurbed my standard wheels for now (until I can find a set of turinis)
Painted my rear hubs black & my calipers silver
FINALLY got the rear plastic strip in my 182 rear bumper
OMP front strut brace firmly bolted on along with air filter (cone system which again soon to be changed)
Will also soon be picking up a sport grill for the front

I am liking the way the clio is now looking a different little hatch...although a very long way to go with this project (I thinking in the next couple of months I will pay to get the morette headlights colour coded to blend in more).

Also ordered off my mate a roll of carbon wrap, which I will then start detailing throughout the interior along with my front & rear renault badges etc....
Then xenon kit (as and when I can) along with the next big purchase being a coilover kit to really start to get a nice stance.

.....So thats all I can think off for now.... =)

Clio 1.6 16v (K4M)
Finally got to upload some pics...

As per below I refurbed my wheels (just standard silver) but none the less atleast they have been given a new lease of life without tonnes of curbs marks and deep scratches (took a while but they have now all beem taken out!)

Also painted the rear drums black and front calipers silver.

Clio Wheel.jpgClio Wheel 2.jpg

Now uploaded more recent picture with the morettes and carbon bonnet added:

Clio 3.jpg

Also now got hold of a load of carbon fibre wrap in which I will attack little bits within the next week (just need the time as always lol)....
Also going to neaten up the engine bay alot...got few ideas which I will get pics asap!!