ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 172 cup alarm wont stop going off! Help!!!

My alarm has been going off all night, the only way to stop it was to unlock it and leave it unlocked (which I was not happy about). Everytime I set the alarm a loud beep comes from the bonnet area and a minute later the alarm goes off. Any ideas??? Its a 2003 clio 172 cup.

I checked the bonnet etc and it did stay locked for a few hours without the alram going off, but then when I went out in it it started again. As soon as I got back the alarm would not stop going off and I have had to leave it unlocked again! Any other ideas?

Nippy white cup
Quick fix m8. When you turn the engine off turn the ignition on,off,on,off and get out and lock it. It should beep a few times (3 iirc) and it turns of the interior sensors but at least the car can be locked until you get it sorted. I went to renault and I think they ended up replacing the alarm in the end. And I think it was the tailgate that is commonly at fault

Cheers

Chris

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Check the bonnet switch is not full of water as they are prone to failing when they get wet.

The other thing to look at is the fuse that the alarm installers use is the one that would normally be used for an electric sunroof.

I think its fuse number No.37

If this goes the siren goes into self protect mode, IE sounding.

I had this problem with my Sons car and another car that belongs to a member on here, and I stripped them both out to replace them with Clifford alarms. The Cobra ones are very poorly fitted.

172 Cup (track) FS
I've had similar problems with mine - not going off all the time but just randomly.

It also seems to struggle if you have driven the car, get out, lock it then try to unlock and get back in quickly. If you then try to start the car it starts, but the alarm goes off within a few seconds.

The system seems to want to be armed for at least a minute before it returns to normal.

Can the siren be disabled on the factory/dealer fit alarms ? Am assuming that if the key is out of the ignition then the immobiliser is armed ?

:S

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
The immobiliser is part of the engine management unit and is operated by a passive transponder chip in your key. It is fitted at the factory and is a very good system.

The alarm is Cobra and is fitted at the import center at Southampton by a team of trained Gibbons. It is an upgrade to bring the immobiliser from Thatcham 2 up to Thatcham 1 level.

It is simply activated by the central locking module so when you lock the doors it switches the alarm on/off.

The siren is battery backed up, but there is no by-pass for it.

I was amazed how bad the quality of the installation was when I stripped them.
Water can easily get into the siren and that causes mayhem.

172 Cup (track) FS
BrianR - thanks for that, very useful info.

So I guess that a competent alarm installer could easily remove the Cobra alarm part without affecting the OEM immobiliser ?

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Yes its no real problem if you are familiar with alarms.
Its all under the passenger airbag, so dash off and lift the airbag and there it is. The alarm and the immobiliser are not connected in any way.

You could remove the alarm, and the remote locking and immobiliser will still work as they should.

The sounder is under the scuttle panel in front of the windscreen and the u/s control is either under the dash by the alarm unit or behind the ashtray, I have seen them in both places.

The ones I have done, I simply cut all the wires close to the Cobra unit and used them to fit a Clifford module.

It was remarkably easy, the only real problem was getting the wiper arms off to get to the siren.

172 Cup (track) FS
yep - all very useful. cheers Brian :approve:

Gr3G - I hope you get yours sorted mate - mine's been driving me a little bit mental :banghead:

Thanks guys, will turn off the sensors now so that I can lock it and have a look at the bonnet and fuse when its light in the morning. Hopefully that should sort it. Really appriciate the help, Thanks!

Clio 172 sport
Brian did mine for me and i havent had any problems since. the cliford is a great alarm and i can open my boot an put my headlights on to see the way to th house at night from the fob.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Hi Mike,

Is it still working then, you must have had the good one :rasp:

Haven't seen you on the road to hell recently.

It was the bonnet (just checked), thanks for your help thats saved me paying someone a fortune! Really appriciate the help.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Well done, we saved you some money there, why not put a fiver towards joining the club ;)

Clown Car
My alarm has been going off all night, the only way to stop it was to unlock it and leave it unlocked (which I was not happy about).

IIRC to manually lock the car without setting the alarm, sit in the passenger seat, press the lock button on the dash, then get out of the passenger door and lock the car using the key in the lock barrel.