ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 172 Cup ~ OEM+

172 Cup
Right guys I thought I would start up a new project thread as I haven’t really bothered with my last one so here goes…

Bit of history on the car; I bought it last September, it’s a 2002 Mondial blue 172 Cup, one previous owner before me, bought it with 36k on but has recently ticked over to 40k. HPI clear, and was bog standard when I acquired her apart from being fitted with a stainless stealth exhaust.

Theres some pics of it in here just after i bought it:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?537531-My-cup-after-a-quick-wash!&highlight=

Now after I had purchased the car I didn’t have a lot of money left over for mods, so the only things that were done at this time were the following:

Picture346.jpg

Picture352.jpg

Picture354.jpg

Fitted:

Before;

Picture348.jpg

After;

Picture350.jpg

Before:

Picture331.jpg

After:

Picture332.jpg

Picture329.jpg

Picture328.jpg

Now when I got the car the belts had not been done, I had been doing my research when I was looking to buy one however so I knew how important it was to get them done on these ASAP. With this in mind I tucked enough money away to be able to treat it to a full cam and aux belt kit change including pulleys etc. With that important job done I could enjoy the cup for what it was in near enough standard form.

Another important job was to sign up to CS :)….

Cheeky CS sticker in the rear windscreen:

Picture480.jpg

Out with the gash tax disk holder the dealer left in and in with a nice CS one:

Picture479.jpg

After this, Christmas came round and with it my insurance renewal :( shortly after that the tax was up so the car remained like this until a few weeks ago where I had stashed away a few pennies to begin spending on the car again.

There seems to be loads of cups popping up on here lately with people going down one of two routes with them…either tracking them or returning them to a ‘standard ish’ form. I want to sway towards the latter and make mine OEM+, so replacing things with genuine Renault items or where I can/is necessary putting after market items on the car trying to make it stand out just a little and give it my own ‘touch’. I want a mint cup in the end, which is what made me want one in the first place after seeing a minter on the road. I will take a me a while as im also saving up to move out but i will get there in the end lol.

So with the front tyres looking worse for wear after the winter I eventually sourced two new Continental Contact Sports for it, these were the original tyre that Renault used on the Cup and after having them fitted I can totally see why, they are fantastic and I would recommend them to any RS owner:

Picture409.jpg

Picture482.jpg

I’m not a fan of the big number plate on the front of RS’s so like many others I opted for a set of new clean plates with a 3/4 one for the front:

Before: Big plate with ugly border

Picture347.jpg

After: clean 3/4 plate

Picture477.jpg

Picture478.jpg

Rear: clean

Picture476.jpg

At this point last week I thought it was a good time to service the car before I go any further so the following was ordered:

Picture473.jpg

Picture474.jpg

-6 litre’s of Gulf Competition 5W-40 oil
-Oil Filter
-NGK Laser Platinum Plugs
-ITG panel filter

This little lot should be getting fitted this coming weekend ;), and there should be another update in the next day or so hopefully.

I will also be getting some decent pics of the Cup this weekend if I can convince my brother who has a trophy to tag along lol.

Thanks for reading, comments welcome :)

Last edited:
  172 Cup

Nice work :approve:

Thanks chaps :)

Where did you order the plugs from? I need some for mine.

What are your plans after its serviced?

I got the plugs from sparkplugs.co.uk dude, great service from them tbh

Ive got another update to post up later today hopefully ;)

nice, where did you get those matts from?

The matts were purchased off west renault who is on here pal, they are lovely matts :cool:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Love it mate, are those sport contact 3's?

I'm looking at replacing my Goodyears soon, they have a lot of tread but they are getting old.

Love the plates, clean plates are so so nice, I have a new back one for mine to go on. :)

172 Cup
Thanks for the link :)

Not a problem pal

Nice car bud, ordered the same oil for myself last night :)

Nice one, its a good quality oil mate and i have no plans to take it on track days anytime soon so should do the job just fine ;)

looks good,tidy :)

;)

Love it mate, are those sport contact 3's?

I'm looking at replacing my Goodyears soon, they have a lot of tread but they are getting old.

Love the plates, clean plates are so so nice, I have a new back one for mine to go on. :)

They are just Continental Contact Sports dude, the very first ones, i got them just so the car was original. Ive heard lots of good things about Contact Sports 3's though and i think i will struggle to get some of mine again so '3's will be what i go for next time i reckon.

As regards the plates im with you, i think its amazing how much difference a set of clean plates make to a car, tidys things up nicely ;)

172 Cup
nice car. Good write up.

Cheers fella

Nice work mate, Good job:)

good work

Ta lads!

Right update time:

Last week i ordered myself some Eibach Sortlines from Kam Racing (great service), and they arrived at the start of this week :)

Although it appears im a sheep buying these springs im honestly not, there are a couple of reasons why i went for the sportlines really:

- As im going along the OEM theme i want to keep the cup looking like this so 'decking' it was never on my agenda.
- I have had Eibach Springs on every car i have owned so i 'know' and 'trust' the brand 100%
- Coilovers are not for me at this moment in time, the car is a daily driver and i dont want to ruin the ride or pay the extra £££'s to have them set up correctly.

Anyhow heres some snaps of the little fella's:

Picture483.jpg

Picture475.jpg

Fingers crossed they will get fitted this weekend so i'll be able to take the car out for a ride and get some pics of her with them on :)

Ohh and my FCS tickets arrived today woohoo really looking forward to it now 17 days and counting!

182 FF
Very nice mate makes me feel guilty about mine sat in the garage with an inch on tumble dryer fluff on it :dapprove:

172 Cup
looks sweet mate, will definitely be keeping an eye on this. keep up the good work

lookin forward to seein pics of the cup

Cheers boys, should have some pics up at the weekend so keep an eye out ;)

noob question... how much lower would the ride be with those springs fitted if at all?

The springs should only lower it 5-10mm i reckon mate, only noticable to those in the know if you know where im coming from

172 Cup
Update:

Right this update is a little bit later than expected but i finally managed to get the some time to get get the car clean and head out for some pics!

Firstly though i managed to get the car serviced last weekend, however before i managed this the battery thought it would give up some in went a new one, pics:

Picture491.jpg

Next up the plugs were changed;

Picture487.jpg

While they were getting done i noticed that my throttle body had quite abit of crap in it so i thought i would take the chance to give it a good clean up ;

Picture486.jpg

Picture488.jpg

Much better :), next up the old oil was drained out and the oil filter removed, new filter & oil in:

Picture484.jpg

Picture485.jpg

The old air filter was then ditched and the new itg panel filter was put in:

Picture489.jpg

Picture490.jpg

The car also had a full coolant change so with that little lot ticked off the job list i sent the car to a friend to have the Eibach springs fiited:

ohh hia:

Picture512.jpg

This is my 4th set of Eibach springs that ive had on my cars and they have are perfect for what i want. The steering and turn in seems to have been sharpened up while the car is slightly lower all round...perfect for the OEM look that i am trying to achieve. So with all of these jobs done I washed the car and headed out for some pics with a few friends (i will post the pics up of the other clio's in the media section ;)):

Picture509.jpg

Picture510.jpg

Picture498.jpg

Picture532.jpg

Picture531.jpg

Picture530.jpg

Picture529.jpg

Picture528.jpg

Should have one or two more odds and sods to come before the french car ;)

Thanks for looking, comments welcome as allways :)

Seat Ibiza
Are the NGK plugs part number PFR6E-10
i went on the website sparkplugs.co.uk and typed in my details.
£9.18 each?

172 Cup
Bonjour

Well its been a couple of moths since ive updated my thread as not alot had been happening apart from having to get the car MOT'd, put rear disks and pads on the car, pay my insurance again for another year, and pay to go on holiday.

But ive got cracking again.

My old gear gaiter was cream crackered so i ordered a new one:

Picture620.jpg

Picture621.jpg

Picture622.jpg

and then yesterday i picked up this off chris205:

A BTB stealth system :) which i degreased, washed and polished today ready for fitting this week:

Picture618.jpg

Picture617.jpg

Picture619.jpg

Again perfect for my OEM+ plus theme, and should sound lovely.

I'll stick some pics up of it fitted asap. Thanks for looking guys.

172 cup
That looks great,I think you have done all the same things I have planned for mine...............great minds and all that!

Cheers Ross.

172 Cup
That looks great,I think you have done all the same things I have planned for mine...............great minds and all that!

Cheers Ross.

Haha thanks man

Cheers dude :)

Right i had the btb fitted yesterday!

Such a great fit and the quality is second to none! Sounds lovely and the car now pulls alot stronger than it did before, especially top end of the rev range. Defo one of the 'must purchase' products for all 172 owners imo. All in all im well happy with the car at the moment :A:

Pics of it right at home:

Picture623.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Italian 3.2 V6
I Love what your doing with this 172cup. It's always nice to read someone looking after their car properly!

172 Cup
Thnaks alot mate!

There will only be small things happening in the next month or so while we get the crappy weather, then the wheels will be treated to a full refurb and the brakes looked at ;).

172 Cup
Update!

The postman was good to me today :):

Picture624.jpg

Can ya guess what it is yet lol

Now over the last month or so ive noticed that my brakes have been feeling a tad 'wooden' and generally crap, and seen as though i havnt looked at this area since owning the car i thought i had better turn my attention to it and sort it out asap.

As you may have read i am going for and OEM+ theme with my cup so i didnt want to take the plunge with 4 pot's etc as; 1. i didnt think what i use the car for warrent's 4 pots, 2. i was advised that in putting 4 pots on a 1*2 can un balance the car under braking, and 3. i didnt really want to spend £600-800 on 'bling' calipers which i wouldnt get the best out of so i went for the following upgrades:

1. Brembo Hi Carbon Disks
2. Ferodo DS2500 pads
3. Goodridge Braided Lines
4. Motul RBF 660 fluid.

This should be ideal for fast road use and even some moderate track action and once the calipers are cleaned and painted will look and feel like it came out of the factory like that :)

Pics of the stuff unwrapped:

Picture625.jpg

Picture628.jpg

Picture627.jpg

If all goes well this little lot should be fitted on friday :)

Thanks for looking guys, comments welcome!