ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 172 Cup refresh/sprint car

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
IMG_1104.JPG
IMG_1106.JPG
IMG_1108.JPG
I had a free couple of hours this afternoon and thought I'd better make the most of it as the weather is turning wetter the next few days. So I fitted the mintex pads , near side 1st all done in 20 mins or so. Moved on to the offside and could not get the caliper back on as it was hitting part of the casting ??? anyways after another look I found the bottom caliper pin was seized solid preventing the caliper sliding grrr :tired: after a bit of work I got it out and gave it a clean up and wiped a smear of copper grease on them and it's moving freely. On reflection I should have sent them to Bigred for a rebuild but hey :eek:penmouth: Fitted the pads and they are 100% better :smile:
Hopefully they won't need bleeding as the pedal is back near the top.

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
Let us know how you get on with the 1144 I was toying with the idea of them but read mixed reviews for track use so got the 1155 instead [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Let us know how you get on with the 1144 I was toying with the idea of them but read mixed reviews for track use so got the 1155 instead [emoji106]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They will be fine as they will not got much heat into them as we only do single laps at a time.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
I've been using this for the last few days as my 86 has been in for a cel problem and whilst it feels quicker off the mark than my 86 I must admit I much prefer the driving position and rwd fun of my 86.
Hopefully my next few sprints will swing it back to the cup but if not I will have to have a think on whether to keep it or not :anguished:

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
IMG_1127.JPG
IMG_1128.JPG
IMG_1125.JPG
Fitted some new front discs today thanks to @George@RTR_Parts I paid at 5pm and they arrived next day at 9:30am which is superb service :up:
Cars all ready for Saturday at Anglesey just got to load up tomorrow night with a few tools just in case then up at 5am :sleeping::sleeping:
A few pics of the old vs new discs.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Just been going through my videos from Anglesey so thought I'd share it here.The blob on the screen is a scatch on my case so will have to get a new one.
We are at Aintree tomorrow with 6/7 in my class and in 1b @JohnnyE .

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
IMG_1515.JPG
IMG_1522.JPG
Not updated this for a while so here goes, I noticed that there was a knock coming from the engine under hard acceleration and when changing from 1st to second so bought some Febi mounts a while back to change them as I thought they were just tired ,well the gearbox wasn't too bad but the top engine mount was in 2 pieces :hushed: so I am glad I changed them over.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Mid season update , so far I have done 5 rounds in total inc Anglesey, 3 Sisters, Scammonden hill climb and 2 at Aintree.
I have three 1st in class one 2nd and one 3rd and I now hold the class record at Anglesey,3 Sisters and Scammonden.
Aintree is where I am 8/10ths away and am unlikely to get it as it's held by a very well double driven Clio Cup.
As an aside if I ran in 1B I would have been 2nd in class twice so if I can drive a bog standard car and mix it up with the modified cars what's stopping you for joining us in your standard or modified Clio as it's great fun !!!
We are at Blyton @JohnnyE circuit on Sunday where I have never been but it looks a great circuit.
Also have 3 sisters at the end of July and a double header weekend at 3 Sisters and Aintree at the end of August, hopefully I will be still leading the SD34 sprint and hill climb championship by then.
If you are at any of the events or spectating call in for a chat.
Cheers

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
IMG_2118.JPG
IMG_2122.JPG
Well not much to report apart from I won at Blyton and finished 2nd at Aintree.
This gave me a good chance of a class or overall championship win if I did well at next weekends last 2 rounds at Anglesey however I have withdrawn my entry for both days so that's another year over.
The gear change was a bit vague at Aintree so I have fitted a new bush at the gearbox end to tighten it up and changed the oil and filter.
As I have finished my season it's now SORN whilst I decide what to do next year.i would like to go back into modified but it's too expensive at the moment so it may be up for sale over the next few months.
Here's the bush I changed

Armchairracer

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 1
Hi .just reading you post with interest ..im hoping your doing the LDMC sprints this year as I need a sparring partner ..im a member too with a phase 1 'standard production' Clio 172 ..i didnt compete last year as I was doing work on my house ..but I'm raring to go this year..like you'e said at longton the standard class is sparse at times, thats why ive been looking into the curborough championship as well ..as sb is very well supported and very competitive .

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Hi
I have no plans as yet as working most of the events I like to do and cant really afford the Anglesey rounds but yes sometimes I was on my own other times 5 or 6 were in the class.
Its the cheapest way in and you can still beat some of the less modified cars in the 1B class but now they allow 1B tyres this is unlikely tbf

Armchairracer

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 1
Yes ..i know what you mean , I did the events at curborough and three sisters in 2016 and they were fairly well supported ( 4 in class at three sisters and about 10 at curborough ) ..its a shame about the 1B class going to semi slicks as it was nice to mix it up with them as you say ..My first event for this year is prob going to be Aintree as it was well supported last yr iirc in SB ..[/QUOTE]

535d / t5 caravelle
i see the car has now been sold, was it to a club member?

looks like you've spent a few quid on it, refreshing everything, looks lovely!

my old car btw, top car[emoji1303]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
A bit of a thread revival @bill ?

Sold it this time last year and looking back should have kept it, the new owner emailed me a few weeks back to say it had won 5 times a few seconds and won 2 championship with it ! All that needed doing was an injector and 2 new tyres

535d / t5 caravelle
A bit of a thread revival @bill [emoji51]

Sold it this time last year and looking back should have kept it, the new owner emailed me a few weeks back to say it had won 5 times a few seconds and won 2 championship with it ! All that needed doing was an injector and 2 new tyres
your right you should never have sold it, there fetching 10k now!

it served me well that car, did the rear demister ever get fixed? was permanently on when i had it lol.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk