ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 172 Project

Ph2 172 Track Toy
Picked up my 6th RenaultSport yesterday, a 2003 53 plate 172 with 90k on the clock and it's gonna get tarted up and turned into a track car. Got loads of ideas for it but first things first, it needs quite a few things sorting.

Bad points;

Dephaser pulley making a load of noise, already got it booked it for that and cambelt sorting.
Steering wheel knackered but thats to be expected on a 172 of this age.
Gearknob also knackered, I think the last owner removed all the leather to try and pass it of as standard rubber, gaitor cover also damaged
All 4 wheels scuffed generally tatty
Limo style tints, only film so easy to remove
Reg plate illegal and has a Portmouth AFC badge on it.
Drivers seat has loss some foam so looks a bit tatty, leather ok.
Both seat recliners are broken
Has had an aftermarket stereo and the wires have be bodged a little so the standard stereo does not work.
Air con needs a regas
The front lights are badly scuffed/scratched/faded - gonna need so time with the polisher, maybe even so wet and dry.
Few dings here and there
Ditchfinder tyres all round
Odd electrical problem, when pressing the brake or the indicating the dash light for the front fogs comes on but not the lights.
Needs new wipers all round

Good points;

Apart from the dephaser the engine seems sweet and strong.
Gearbox and clutch seem very good, goes into gear as well if not better than all my previous mk2 clios.
Paintwork has potential, basically its swirled/marred as you'd expect but nothing too bad so I think a little effort with the polisher and a coat or 2 of Zymol concours and it will be stunning.
Apart from needing a regas the aircon seems fine no funny noises etc
Xenons work fine.
Brand new rear brakes
And the biggest good point, it cost me £1250 plus train fare and petrol.

Plans for it, these will/may change but here are my initial thoughts;

Dephaser/belts done
New reg plates
OMP steering wheel
New OE gear knob and gaitor
Refresh suspension, ball joints, wishbones, top mounts etc
15" White Turninis with AD08s
Koni dampers with Eibach Sportlines all round
Sparco R100 seats, (i need rear seats)
K-Tec supersports stealth exhaust
Remove tints.
New front brakes, brembo HC with DS2500 or Pagid Blues and braided lines
lastly, do lots of trackdays!!!!

Going forward I'll post up the progress. Ta for reading

IMG_0020.jpg

2014 Clio 200t edc
I have a gearknob (full stick) for sale. No gaiter though. Pm me if interested.
Car looks nice, and some good plans. Do really like Monaco!!

Ph2 172 Track Toy
Back from the dealers. Belts, dephaser, air con, plugs, oil change, new gear knob and gaitor, reg plates, and all dents removed.

Its still got an anoyying rattle at 3750, thought it was a broken ecu mount but after cable tying it the noise is still there. Think I'll jack it up this aft and check the heat sheild and dog bone.

Anyway, just one more fix needed (draft shafts) then its onto the interesting stuff to get it track ready. Just need the end of the month to come then I have the money to sort it all.

Gonna machine polish it this aft I think too and also have a go at removing the tints.

Ph2 172 Track Toy
I was booked for Mallory last Sat but it was called off so I'm at Donington tomorrow. This is the cars first outing and it's had a wash so here are some pics and yes it does need a vac out.

20121103_142852.jpg

20121103_142842.jpg

20121103_142821.jpg

20121103_142814.jpg

20121103_142803.jpg

20121103_142729.jpg

20121103_142713.jpg

20121103_142700.jpg

20121103_142608.jpg

20121103_142511.jpg

Ph2 172 Track Toy
Seem to be talking to myself on this but oh well.

It's now officially a track car, had a really good time at Donny last Sunday, car behaved ok, steering needs sorting as its very vague and I could not keep obesity of the wheels tight so probs getting a stud conversion before its next outing.

Did have a little spin within half a lap of starting tuition but nothing major. It was both my first spin and first time with tuition.