ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my 182 rolling road results x 4

a thirsty one
my 05 plate 182 has been on the rolling road 4 times in last few years and just thought would post them up for your info

with just a few thousand miles on the clock results as follows (std car)

at the wheel 160.81 bhp
at the fly 179.26 bhp
torque 149.87

happy with those for barely run in car.

After about 10 thousand miles now at the same rolling road (std car)

at the wheel 163.02 bhp
at the fly 182.87 bhp
torque 157.54

i think these were a bit high.

Last month again at the same rolling road (this time with panel filter, btb exhaust, samco induction pipe)

no at the wheel figure? wasnt provided to me.
at the fly 176.16 nhp
torque 149.59

i felt these were a bit low considering the mods

today took it to chipwizards and wayne schofield in rochdale (this time with a k+n panel filter, samco hose, yozza decat and btb exhaust system)

at the wheel 165.1
at the fly 188.7 bhp
no torque figure

amazing differences not only between the same rollers but also different rollers, i know to take rr figures with a pinch of salt i have been around modded cars and tuning long enough to know the pros and cons but they are still interesting to do.

think i will leave the clio engine as it is now.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
that first one is a bit concerning, my willy made more than that a few weeks back, lol.

does make a good point tho, gd post.

a thirsty one
RR are a much better tool for evaluating mods when a run before and then after a bolt on mod or map and of course for live mapping, i goto these RR days with a group of friends and include breakfast, running the cars and then pub lunch so they make for an enjoyable day with some good banter.

i wont tattoo my figures onto my forehead or anything as non of the above can be 100% accurate but i do think they can give some indication as to the health of your engine and that its operating correctly.

Hiya mate , you did say you wasn't very happy with the RR operator at Awesome this time , were your mates cars reading low?

Did you not fancy a chip/remap when you was at chip wizards? is there RR a dyno diagnostic?

Ive got about 500miles too go before my car loosens up and hopfully hit's 260bhp , i'm gonna get it RR around that time , at the same roller's im gonna get it mapped at ( i'll put a few more k on first ) i think i'll go REVO and get it RR/mapped at Vorex in Congleton as they have mapped a few Mk2 Cupras 310bhp 310lb ft , and you can get a switch to put it back too std for visits too the dealers!

leon

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Christ those at the wheel figures are good!!!!!

Mine only managed 134 hp at the wheels!!!! No mods at all. It's loosened since, excpect maybe 5 more hp. Engine was very stiff.

The dyno was done at Engine Advantages in Witham, Essex. Was told while there that fly wheel power was 177 hp. Pure guess I reckon.

I was told my at the wheel power should be at least 143 hp to equal a fly wheel power of circa 179.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Interesting that the first dyno operator thinks your car loses 10% of it power between the flywheel and the wheels, and the second guy thinks it loses 12.5%. Most people would think the second guy is closer to the mark.

So what do you think. Do you think the car lost power when you did the mods initially, then ended up back where it was originally. Or do you think the car really is stronger and the dyno numbers are just plain wrong.

Nippy white cup
I have to agree with you there m8...1st one especially. To me it works out at 194 ish at the fly. Best bet is to (if possible) use the same RR but then you have different air temps etc to contend with. Fly fig seems fine for your last go tho.

Good little comparison tho

Chris

a thirsty one
the results from last month at awsome gti were a little unpredictable, we didnt get any wheel figures and we left with a lot of questions and bit confused about some of the figures.

as for getting a chip at waynes i did discuss it with him and to give him credit he said for the few hundred quid i would get some gains but he wouldnt expect it to be life changing on the 182 lump and £ for lbt with std cams prob not worth it.

interseting about the percentage loss being different between the two operators, could transmission temp play a part in this calculated loss? i dont know really.

as for my wheel figures all i can say is that over the last 2 years its had 3 runs on 2 different rollers all giving wheel figure without any conversations about what it got last year or what im expecting extra and non of the rr companies have provided me with any of the parts or fitted them,l they have purely been used for a turn up, power run and go home i may just be lucky and have a good 182 lump thats giving healthy results. ps it was only about 1 degree on saturday morning when it had its final run with 165bhp at wheels i was frozen and couldnt feel my toes anymore.

i dont think the mods lost me any performance i just think there were some isues with the rr on that day as about 12 people out of the 16 or so that ran were unhappy/confused.

andyman as above mate, they maybe but based on the numerous runs its had independantly of any tuners with no reason to tweak or adjust the figures i kind of believe the wheel figures are pretty accurate, the % transmission loss varies between operators and other external parameters to take into account, you say you have more mods but is that starting with a 172ps and not a 182ps?

Last edited:
  Ph1
Yeah mines just a 172 John. Had a lot of work done on it and i thought 167 (which is what? 190 odd bhp @ Fly) was pretty good going vs standard figure of 134bhp (Clio 172).

You certainly have a good one their if the figures are about right :)

R35 GTR
I would have asked for my money back if they couldnt provide a torque reading when they provided power.