ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 182 Track Car Project

Clio 220 PH2
I am new to the clio world but this is my 182 track car project.
It will be a slow process but i will keep this updated as and when i change parts. I hope you like it :)

Clio 220 PH2
When i got the car back home :smile: i got the headlights sorted as they were cloudy. They look so much better really happy with the results.
The interior was really nice shame it will all come out lol.
IMG_0133.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG
IMG_0132.JPG

Clio 220 PH2
The first change to the car is the suspension i have gone for Blistein B14 from DS Motorsport :) really happy with them I would 100% recommend them to anyone. DS Motorsport was amazing sorting these out for me and would recommend them to anyone.

Attachments

• IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 263
  Clio 220 PH2
The car before i changed the suspension. I also had removed the rear seat before putting the new suspension on as well.
IMG_0144.JPG
IMG_0143.JPG
IMG_0142.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG

Clio 220 PH2
The before and after of the suspension. It was a nice job to do bar the allen key hole cracking on me (old suspension) forcing me to use an air gun and scrapping a good strut.
IMG_0145.jpg
IMG_0147.jpg
IMG_0146.jpg
IMG_0150.jpg
IMG_0151.jpg
IMG_0152.jpg
IMG_0153.jpg
IMG_0154.JPG

Clio 220 PH2
This is what the car looks like with it fitted from the outside. I need to set the car up as the camber and toe is all over the place (thanks to me lol) but even with it set badly it still handles so much better than before. The car will be going to DS Motorsport for the spring set up and camber hopefully very soon.
A bit too much camber once side lol
IMG_0156.jpg
IMG_0157.jpg
IMG_0158.JPG

Clio 220 PH2
Sorry its been a while since i updated this been really busy at work. Once the suspension was changed i decided to go for a whiteline anti roll bar to stiffen the back up even more :)
IMG_0190.JPG

Clio 220 PH2
After the anti roll bar was fitted i treated the car to a new exhaust because every track car needs a loud exhaust haha. I bought the k-tec ultra exhaust with silenced de-cat and no centre silencer and it sounds brilliant really love the sound it makes :)
IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG

Clio 220 PH2
I also added a pair of 1 degree camber shims as well for the back also while the hub was off i fitted new discs and pads on the rear. I went for the standard Renault discs (because of the wheel bearing) and ferodo ds performance pads which to be fair work really well together :)
IMG_0242.JPG
IMG_0241.JPG

Clio 220 PH2
The car is really nice to work on i haven't really come across anything too annoying which for cars is strange haha

Clio 220 PH2
Now i know the clios have a tendency to over cook there brakes so i thought it would be a good idea to run front brake ducts on the car just to try and cool them down a little bit. This is what i did :
Removed the front bumper.
Removed the fog lights and wiring to them
Removed the part of the air box thats right down the bottom of the bumper so i can have a nice clean pass
Bought green brake ducts ends from eBay :)
I then bought the piping to fit on the duct, again an eBay special
Cut a hole in the wheel arch and zip tied the duct to the inner wheel arch and zip tied to the green ducted
and refitted the bumper. Job Done :)
IMG_0296.JPG
IMG_0404.JPG
IMG_0405.JPG
IMG_0408.JPG
IMG_0409.JPG
IMG_0410.JPG
IMG_0411.JPG
IMG_0412.JPG

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Good start, looks like a tidy example
How far are you planning on going with the 'track prep'?

Clio 220 PH2
Good start, looks like a tidy example
How far are you planning on going with the 'track prep'?
Thank you very much I tried to find a nice one to start with haha
It's not going extreme extreme but the plan at the minute is fibreglass boot, bonnet and doors with carbon doors cards. Safety device 9 point roll cage with seats and harnesses, new steering wheel, poly windows all round, new wheels,pretty much fully stripped interior bar the dash. Air con delete, solid engine and gearbox mounts, PMS short shifter, PMS strut brace and solid top mounts and maybe treat it to a set of AST suspension depending on cash and a few other things as I go along haha

Clio 220 PH2
After i put the brake ducts on i put a k-tec induction kit on it and guess what colour i went for ? Really love the sound it make very happy with it :)
IMG_0298.JPG

Clio 220 PH2
After this i treated the car to a new set of tyres because the tyres were pretty poor that was on it so i bought a set of R888s because thats what my dad runs on his bmw and the grip it has is amazing so i thought thats what the little clio needed haha.
IMG_0448.JPG
IMG_0450.JPG

Clio 220 PH2
So i booked the car on a track day to see how it handled. i went for bedford because i really like the track and lots of run off just incase haha. That meant i needed a few new parts. So i bought front discs and pads (brembo high carbon discs and CARBONE LORRAINE RC5+) wheel stud conversation, new brake fluid, new braided brake lines, tow strap and wheel spacers for the front only 15mm.
IMG_0510.JPG

This is what i had to do to fit the tow strap, remove the front bumper to take the lower grill out and cut the grill to allow the strap through.
IMG_0511.JPG

Clio 220 PH2
So once all that was done it was track day time i was so excited as the car was going with a few friends (two ///M cars :smile: ) so it would be a good reference haha.
The car was amazing round the track i was so happy with it the brakes never went off all day and i was really giving them so stick. I would recommend that brake set up to anyone really good :smile: The only thing that needs looking at was the front suspension was a bit soft but apart from that very happy. Meet some really friendly clio sport members as well in their 172 cup (very nice car)
The little clio in the middle of the M cars :smile:
IMG_0545.jpg

The little clio made friends with his bigger brother
IMG_0547.jpg
IMG_0549.JPG
IMG_0550.jpg

Clio 220 PH2
Very happy with the car on the track day but it was just a test now the winter project begins. I have started stripping the car down to save weight here are some pictures :
IMG_0565.JPG

Seats are out there are not super heavy but still unnecessary weight.
IMG_0566.JPG

Carpets are gone and what i like to call the mattress under the carpet. I was very surprised how heavy the carpets are big weight saving there.
IMG_0576.JPG

Stripped a bit more
IMG_0574.JPG
IMG_0573.jpg

Boot and bonnet stripped ready for the new fibreglass ones. Both very heavy.
IMG_0580.JPG

As of last night the doors were taken off again to be changed for fibreglass. The doors are very very heavy they are well worth changing if looking to remove weight. And thats were the car is at the minute i will post more when i do a bit more. I hope you are enjoying it :)

Clio 172
Brilliant job mate! looks like you have big plans and you seem to know what your doing, looking forward to seeing this progress

Clio 220 PH2
Brilliant job mate! looks like you have big plans and you seem to know what your doing, looking forward to seeing this progress
Thank you very much I am enjoying working on the car which makes it better haha
Thank you I will try and keep this up to date I have to wait for the bonnet and boot as they are coming from France and it takes 6 weeks and then I can crack on with it get it done for next year :)

Clio 220 PH2
Right since last up date i have started to play around with getting weight out from the inside i have started to cut some wiring out to the back window as i am going to be running poly windows so silly having it in the car. Also as well the sound deadening from behind the dash is going, more weight saved (taking mazda thinking, ever gram removed helps) now i am just thinking what colour to paint the inside (any suggestions) and how to have the dash.
Heres a pictures what it looks like with just the top of the dash what do you think ? Yes the wiring is everywhere but the will be tidied up :)
IMG_0598.JPG

Clio 220 PH2
Just a little up date just had a little bit of time to weigh my interior find out how much weight I have removed from the car. Doors, bonnet and boot included I have removed 171kg however that's not taken into account the sound deadening under the carpets and what not because they are protecting my doors at the minute haha. I am going to guess with all the odds and sods like having a new exhaust stuff like that all together we are touching 200kg removed which I am very happy with. Of course weight will go back in when the cage and new seats are fitted but I am really happy with the weight that can be taken out with out grinding and cutting parts off :)

This looks good, good choice of mods to start with.
Noticed you had a Tonykart sat up in your garage, you race TKM?

Clio 182
Stripping out does make a noticeable difference to pace as well, car is looking great....you're making all the right changes too! Amazing how It all adds up cost wise isn't it, I bought a 182 back in June for a track car and have done similar mods so far and it's been awesome on track! A well peddled track prepped clio even with standard power seems to do ok on your usual run of the mill track day.
Where did you get your spacers out of interest, I need some!

Clio 220 PH2
This looks good, good choice of mods to start with.
Noticed you had a Tonykart sat up in your garage, you race TKM?
Thank you very much :)
Yes mate well I did race in the OEKC (endurance racing) in the rotax max class until I bought this car and put that on the back burner till the Clio is finished and then I will start up again :)

Clio 220 PH2
Stripping out does make a noticeable difference to pace as well, car is looking great....you're making all the right changes too! Amazing how It all adds up cost wise isn't it, I bought a 182 back in June for a track car and have done similar mods so far and it's been awesome on track! A well peddled track prepped clio even with standard power seems to do ok on your usual run of the mill track day.
Where did you get your spacers out of interest, I need some!
Yes mate just stripping the back out made a big difference before the full strip down. Thank you I am trying to get good stuff but be a bit different at the same time putting my own stamp on the Clio world.
It amazed me straight away once I passed the value of the car on parts and I hadn't really bought anything haha
I love mine it's great. I like the fact they do blend in with everything else on the road but have amazing capabilities when you are pushing it :)
Totally agree mine was over taking Porsches and BMW M cars on the track day I was on :)
I bought mine from K-tec really nice quality spacer

Clio 220 PH2
Just a little update to add. My fibreglass doors came from CMC today amazing condition and quality, top job would recommend this company 100% thank you Chris. Super light massive saving over the standard doors.
Here they are will just need some drilling to do for the hinges and what not and then in for paint :smile:
IMG_0656.JPG
IMG_0657.JPG

Clio 220 PH2
Since my last post i have been pretty busy with the little Clio. My doors turned up as seen in the last pics but i have had my fibreglass bonnet and boot from PMS turn up as well so i can make the car water tight again haha. We have also full stripped the inside of the car to get it ready for its roll cage in Jan which i can not wait for :).
Some pictures of the car without dash or wiring loom and it looks so clean and good, it didn't take too long to do it you just need to make sure you don't just rip it out from frustration (which is easy done).
IMG_0702.JPG

I need to get rid of the heater matrix rad before it goes for its cage so i can get the fire wall welded up.
I thought i would put the top of the dash back in to see what it will look like :)
IMG_0714.JPG

Clio 220 PH2
I have also fitted the doors and bonnet to the car and this is what it looks like at the minute (they will get painted later on in the build when the car comes back from the cage company) I must admit i do think it looks a bit funky with the colours going on haha.
IMG_0712.JPG

The bonnet and boot will both have a set of aerocatches fitted to save weight on the latches and they look cooler :) I haven't fitted the boot yet as i haven't had chance but i am hoping to do it in the next few days. Heres a pic of the boot looks really good and doesn't weigh anything in fact none of the panels do very happy with the weight saving on them.
IMG_0713.JPG

Thats where the car is at the minute i will keep updating when the work gets done i am hoping you are enjoying it. Any advice would be great as i go along or just let me know what you think of it.
Cheers

Clio 220 PH2
Just a little update on the little Clio we have managed to fit one aero-catch to the fibre glass bonnet and very happy with how it came out :smile:
IMG_0734.JPG
IMG_0733.JPG

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
I love your brake ducts mate! They look really smart! The colour combination looks surprisingly good! Nice to see you are doing a proper job!

Clio 220 PH2
I love your brake ducts mate! They look really smart! The colour combination looks surprisingly good! Nice to see you are doing a proper job!
Thank you very much I am really happy with the colour combo how its come out
Thank you very much the next thing will be the Roll Cage, its booked in for that on the 18th Jan :)