ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 197'd Baked Bean

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for all the nice comments people:).

P.S Toby, get yourself a pot of Dodo Juice Banana Armour mate. After trying various products it was the one which best brought out the vividness of the colour on my Bean. Highly recommended!

That looks good. I might have to get my head around all this detailing shizzle at some point.
I think mine needs claying, washing, polishing and waxing but I really don't know much about it all:dapprove:.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I just take it down to the jet wash each week:(.
I've got a few tar spots building up now so need to get some remover? In the past on my 172 I just used a bit of wd40 but want to try a bit harder with this one lol.

Wash as normal, then when wet still, get a spray bottle (from the £1 shop) and fill with water/shampoo and spray on a pannel.

Then run the clay bar over it, as easy as that mate.

Then when you have done, re-wash the car.

My golf was like a pain on glass last week!

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
That looks good. I might have to get my head around all this detailing shizzle at some point.
I think mine needs claying, washing, polishing and waxing but I really don't know much about it all:dapprove:.

That was just polished by hand and Banana Armour applied by hand afterwards. Very simple and great results!

If you want me to give you a hand just let me know. I've got a big pot of Banana Armour - you're quite welcome to try it.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
I prefer it on 182 wheels as I'm odd but the turini alloys are very nice. Perfect ride height on this too and nothing OTT

That was just polished by hand and Banana Armour applied by hand afterwards. Very simple and great results!

If you want me to give you a hand just let me know. I've got a big pot of Banana Armour - you're quite welcome to try it.

Going to get some of this for my Inferno when I'm back from holiday, been looking for some decent stuff to make it look even better for a while

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

Cheers:), I might take you up on that when I get back from holiday..

Where abouts do you live, swear I've seen this car around.

​Huddersfield.

P.S Toby, get yourself a pot of Dodo Juice Banana Armour mate. After trying various products it was the one which best brought out the vividness of the colour on my Bean. Highly recommended!

5660831601_1a282aa9cb_b.jpg

That is stunning, makes me want a Bean <3.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Well it's been over a year since I added to this thread:eek:.

Thought I'd popup a couple of pics I took while in Dieppe the other week. I had absolutely no intentions of going there but tragically the bean failed me 1h into France just outside Abbeville with the dash lighting up all over one by one... Was a bit of a nightmare tbh. French roadside assistance just isn't up to scratch compared to ours. Basically all they do is take you off the road to a garage. No roadside diagnostics/fault finding.

It happened about 6pm so my breakdown company put me up in a hotel for the night and sorted the taxi out but was left outside the car lockup for 2h in the cold while this was sorted. Next day I had to be out the hotel by 12 and they then told me the nearest place that could fix it was in Dieppe which put me £100 over my towing limit. Typical French... trying to get stuff dealt with of any 'official nature' has always been a pain in the ass compared to here. I've experienced it numerous times over the years... Anyhow that was what had to happen so made the call for my mate to set off on a 6h round trip to pick me and the contents of my car up from Abbeville which left me wondering the streets on my own for the afternoon. While we were at my car I got it going again with the jump leads but the battery only showed 6v. Worked out it had to be alternator (unlikely as that was changed 18 months ago), earth or battery. It was a killer decision, do I go get a new bat chuck it in risk it etc or not. Went with the later due to my lack of car fixing ability.

Anyhow made it to my mates for around 9 and got pissed! Next 2 days involved pestering the breakdown company on when it would be fixed and more importantly what it was and how much was the max!

In the end I decided to f**k it off and carry on with my mountain bike trip to the to the Alps and went in my mates Ph2 Corolla Tsport. Have to say they really aren't as bad as most people probably think. The Ph2 is apparently much better than the 4x4 Ph1 with strut braces front and rear, uprated shocks etc. When it hits lift it goes well tbh.

Got back from the alps Thurs then had to do another 6h round trip to Dieppe to pick it up the day after. It turned out to be a faulty earth from the alternator and in total it's stung me for a good £400. I could take that if it wasn't for the fact if it happened before Dover then AA, B and R would have done it all for £35:(. We had to be back in time for my mates son's play. But while I was there I had to grab a pic of the Alpine factory! After a quick blast round the town we found it...

IMG_20140829_143823_zps9f0e66f4.jpg

IMG_20140829_143809_zps5982c11e.jpg

Had a great drive back with the Rolla on the empty motorway chav style:eek:. Slowing in 2nd then nailing it to the speed limit (of course!!) numerous times then took the country way round Dreux which had some great twisties. The Rolla's might not be in the same class handling wise as the Clio but you won't get past a well driven one in the twisties and once they hit lift they go well. The Clio just wins with it's lower grunt. Surprised me how good they are!

Pic of the two back at his.

IMG_20140830_155859_zps1a896e89.jpg

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like a nightmare mate! This sort of thing always puts me off driving to Europe.

Lack of the language etc. Atleast it wasn't anything major.

It was f**king comical at times mate, typing s**t on google translate for them to read only for them to give me that look and go huh! Got there in the end though and the breakdown service handled all the taxi,hotel garage and s**t. They were very good under the French circumstances tbh.

Certainly made for a trip I won't forget in a hurry lol.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the comments. Car is nearly there, got the wheels refurnished earlier this year so they're mint. Next on the list is getting the front bumper resprayed and the full 5 year service:(.
The flat bed truck almost took off my genuine splitter. It had more flex in it than I thought they did ha!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Glad to see you've still got this and it's not being to bad for you!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Thought now would be a good time to update this thread with the bean having an eventful couple of months...
So leading on from my other thread that got locked...
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/devastated.764258/
The good news with that one was that as soon as the insurance saw the cctv evidence it was a clear case of it being the other car at fault so I had the pleasure of having the Merc C200 over Christmas. It was a nice car and I had quite a bit of fun in it and still miss the creature comforts a little but all ended well and I got my car back fully repaired:smile:. I've still not got round to inspecting the repair fully as I've not washed the car yet since I got it back.

Before the bump I'd already booked the car in for it's full 5 year service with @Andyrg@ ClioTurbo in mid January. I'd also been thinking about getting some cams if I could get some decent ones 2nd hand so asked Andy if he had any going begging. I didn't really fancy shelling out £600 on some new Catcams so Andy suggested going down the 197 route. So the search began for some (funny how they don't seem to popup for sale as often once you start looking lol!)

I then came across this thread http://www.cliosport.net/threads/clip-197-cams-with-turbo.763950/ so sent @sharkeygrim a cheeky PM to see if he fancied selling his. During this time I had the bump which put things up in the air a little but eventually went ahead and bought them from him.

So then came the time to head up the A1 to Durham to get them put in and have the full service. Andy was a really nice chap and his work all looks spot on plus his prices are very competitive.

c05d2cf84a627c999bb89d8aaca5d7fd_zps84091bbc.jpg

8a38be8f6dba7f9df58f951c862b997e_zps0caffd81.jpg

51b0bd68e50cab360e988e10ab039ee8_zps9069dea9.jpg

The drive back was interesting. The car sounded well but it was a bit of a pain to drive due to having a bad habit of stalling all the time at lights and kangerooing badly around 1500-2000rpm. This went on until Saturday just gone and was a b**ch to drive on my rush hour commute and had me wondering if I'd made the right choice...
Then came my 1st mapping session by Chris (@Scoff ) at EFI Parts. There was a slight problem with this from the off and that was that the bean had an RSTuner map on it which because I no longer had the tuner was a bit of a pain because of it's encryption/checksums etc. After a few hours of freezing we had to call it a draw while Chris had some time to think about the best way forward.

Roll on Saturday just gone and a few more weeks of the car being a pain to drive and I was back at EFI. After swapping out the ecu with another and then swapping a troublesome lambda sensor he finally had success with it and the result is below. I can't thank Andy and Chris enough for all the effort they've put in and would highly recommend them to anyone.

As for the 197 cams, I'm delighted with them so far for the cost. The car just pulls so much better once the revs build a bit. They really have made a positive difference. Unfortunately because of the way things panned out with the bump etc I didn't get chance to RR before but I'm happy with the result. It's a good 20bhp up on my old 172 now and it really shows:cool:.

Quick vid

th_VID_20150207_174525_zpsoqwxchok.jpg

IMG_20150207_194525_zps2b9e4d5b.jpg

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Without having a pre RR done to be sure... Going by my old 172 running about 164-5 at RS tuning years ago and going on how they felt and this feels now I'd think it it was running around 175 before so not a bad upgrade tbh:cool:.

Last edited:
  clio 182
Glad to see they done a good job ! Tbh I've got alot of further in my turbo build now so really glad I sold these to you mate ! Good result aswell ! You at french car show this year??

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Glad to see they done a good job ! Tbh I've got alot of further in my turbo build now so really glad I sold these to you mate ! Good result aswell ! You at french car show this year??

Cheers, good to know we both did well out of it!
Doubt I'll be at FCS. I might go to Clio Saturday if I'm not on holiday then.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
You already know this but I'll definitely say it. You CANNOT go wrong with Scoff at EFI, his work and customer service is second to none. After a LONG day last Sunday with 27 cars on the rollers he found the time to spend another 2 hours remapping my supercharged Clio and ended up finishing at 7.30pm. He's a mapping genius.

Based on 182 figures from last week around the 170ish mark you've gained over 15hp would you say? Figures aside it's how it drives and imagine with Scoffs mapping it pulls quite well.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Did you just have the cams essentially dropped in and mapped or was there more supporting work to get them to work this well?

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
You already know this but I'll definitely say it. You CANNOT go wrong with Scoff at EFI, his work and customer service is second to none. After a LONG day last Sunday with 27 cars on the rollers he found the time to spend another 2 hours remapping my supercharged Clio and ended up finishing at 7.30pm. He's a mapping genius.

Based on 182 figures from last week around the 170ish mark you've gained over 15hp would you say? Figures aside it's how it drives and imagine with Scoffs mapping it pulls quite well.

Agreed, he's been bloody fantastic with my car. He's bent over backwards to sort out my ecu issue/lambda (red herring) issue's. Absolutely top bloke and top service. Even said he'll rectify any teething problems with the map if need be...
I had a look at the results posted in the NW meet thread as a comparison (not sure if there is a better results thread?). I don't know any of the specs of the ones posted but I guessing mines done quite well taking the average of them and only a week apart.:smile:

Great figures for what are essentially OEM profile camms!
Cheers

Did you just have the cams essentially dropped in and mapped or was there more supporting work to get them to work this well?

Basically yeah. Only difference is in how Andy timed them up. I've heard phrases such as group N timing and that they're set around 6" advance different to normal. I'm no expert on this but maybe one of them might comment on that later.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
@realnumber 1 I'm hoping that i have seen and looked at the above correctly but was it a pain to Remap due to the locked RS Tuner map ?
I bought my car with an RS Tuner map on it and i have often thought about taking to someone to re-map and check for any running / air / fuel issues but from seeing the above it looks like its a no no.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
@MarcR™
Scoff would be the better one to speak to for the finer details but I had a problem where the pre cat lambda was faulty but still showing a voltage. Whenever he put a base map on the ecu it kept throwing up the emissions light up so looked like it was an issue with the ecu/map. Eventually swapped the lambda's around and it came good.
Not 100% sure how much of an issue it would've been if the lambda was fine. I know that he could put the map on my old ecu now though if he wanted or I needed...