ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Attempt at the stone chip removal guide...

Flame Red Delight
Well since owning my 182, have really started to notice the amount of build up of stone chips on the front bumper and front bonnet. I am lead to believe that my car has been a motorway car and we all know what that does to the front ends of cars.

Anyway after reading the thread on detailing world about stone chip correction i set about to try this guide. I achieved very good results, i could have probably achieved even better if i had actually messed about with it further, but time was against me (and the weather). I take no credit for the guide what so ever i just followed the steps provided and they worked. The only regret was that i used a halfrauds stone chip remover pen. I will definately be buying the paints for you kit in the future for when i do the other half of the bonnet.

The thread can be found here: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=153965

I done a 50/50 with the drivers side being the side in which i correct and the passenger side shows the extent of how badly stone chipped the bonnet is.

Many of you may be saying why not just get it sprayed and save the hassle? and this is purely me trying to do it on a tight budget, and also trying to expand my skills with rotary/pc.

This is the passenger side (drivers side was worst than this before the guide was used, we can see how bad it is)
5693769420_6beea0e41d.png

DSC_2671 by Cal.wat, on Flickr
5693207877_c28c3a61ef.png

DSC_2677 by Cal.wat, on Flickr

This is some pics of the corrected area, i found it very hard to get pics to highlight the results, i did no achieve 100% correction. But it definately has made me happy and have removed around 80% of chips i would say.

5693779192_bc3a0026d3.png

DSC_2678 by Cal.wat, on Flickr
5693206431_446b172180.png

DSC_2676 by Cal.wat, on Flickr
5693761496_c89ba6cd29.png

DSC_2666 by Cal.wat, on Flickr

Thanks for looking folks

Callum

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Looks mint mate, when you doing mine, i'll lie on the grass with some beer and you can do it.

Very good reslt, i'd rather ***** around with the pen mate rather than the paint kit, much much easier dude.

Cheers, good results... really tempted to invest in the kit and do mine as it's peppered with stonechips... And as you probably know, it shows up like a pig on BG paint!

Flame Red Delight
haha mate more like ill lie about on the grass whilst you do the other side of the bonnet, the results were still good with the halfrauds kit but if you are looking for perfect correct go for the paints 4 u kit.

Flame Red Delight
Cheers, good results... really tempted to invest in the kit and do mine as it's peppered with stonechips... And as you probably know, it shows up like a pig on BG paint!

Yea mine was very bad, being honest i did sh*t myself during the stage as its very scary having paint all over the front end for 24 hours whilst it dries. I would definately go for it mate, if you are looking for perfect results go for the paints4u you kit or the aforementioned kit that naranto uses.

LY R26 230 F1 Team
Bloody hell, nice result! Any pics of it 'in process'?

And what paint was used? Enamel paint as said in the guide??

Last edited:
  Flame Red Delight
Thanks everyone for the comments, I actually used halfrauds touch up pen but it was pretty crap tbh I would definately recommend using the enamel stuff to achieve better results. Sorry I was sh*tting it a bit during so forgot to take pics, let's just say it wasn't pretty.

LY R26 230 F1 Team
Haha I would be.
Did you use a rotory or DA?
What pads polish did you use to bring it back up after wet/dry? sorry for all the questions, I just dont want to get balls deep in this and end up with a buggered up bonnet.

Flame Red Delight
i used a DA for this but both would do the job nicely, i used an orange hex logic with rd3.02 and then i when through the three menzerna polish stages altering pads as need be to refine and remove any marring etc, just go for it mate.

Callum, long time chap. Looks very good, followed the guide myself recently and achieved near 100% correction, but this was purely down to having very few chips and they were smaller as well.

Well done.

Flame Red Delight
Callum, long time chap. Looks very good, followed the guide myself recently and achieved near 100% correction, but this was purely down to having very few chips and they were smaller as well.

Well done.

hi mate, has been a while, yea i have quietly been improving my skills under the radar and using detailing world to improve my techniques etc, i would like to i amnt a BWAB anymore haha :) but i am far from knowing everything really, Gally always appears to know alot more than me haha.

Yea i will be re-doing it soon but on the other side of the bonnet with the correct paint this time and also be using a the cyc rotary that i will be purchasing soon mate. Gonna drop you a pm about my car in a min actually .....

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
If you're talking about me say nice things.

I R BWAB/