ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My attempt at thumb grip replacements / covers (solution)

RB182FF & Mini
Hi All,

I've had a go at producing some thumb grip covers / replacements for the 172/182 steering wheel.

This could be more wallet friendly instead of a retrim or the carbon fibre ones if anybody is interested

I've only done a lefty so far, I can't get a good enough mould from my right as you can see from the pics..

They are made from very durable plastic and can be wrapped / sprayed to taste.

Here is a few snaps of my prototype. It is not 100% perfect yet but thought I'd share the early stages, so please ignore any rough edges.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

RB182FF & Mini
Its plastic mate, similar to injection moulding but from more of a home made process.

I'm really happy with the outcome tbh

Clio 172 Cup
I did the same sort of thing in my cup but with plastic putty, looked really good after a lick of paint.

RB182FF & Mini
Just bought a heat gun and some carbon vinyl wrap.

I'm gonna give it ago, they should be just as good as the carbon fibre ones at more than half the price!

Will upload pics once its done.

jakeg

ClioSport Club Member
  Rs Clio 172
If you can get this right you could make a fortune, can't believe that the only real replacement option is the streamline carbon fibre ones, I'd be interested in buying a pair of these

RB182FF & Mini
Good to hear guys no idea how much I would sell them, I have a few moulds now.

Some are being sprayed. Some are being wrapped.

I'll then see what people like the most and price them fairly

Last edited: