ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My attempt on an 19 yr old Golf.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Had an attempt on doing this heap as a practice before I attack my own car.

My first time using a machine polisher so it was good practice, but my god, I didn't know it took so long (6 hours).

I snowfoamed the car with ValetPro snowfoam, brilliant stuff. Then washed it with the two bucket method using a budget Tesco shampoo as i'd ran out of my dodo juice. Didn't bother claying or detaring it as it was only a practice. Machine polished with das6pro, using autofinesse restore, polish and refine. Has anyone else used the polish and found it ridiculously hard to buff off? I then sprayed it over generously with Bouncers done and dusted (gorgeous stuff). Also, AutoGlym tyre dressing. The wheels are properly corroded so didn't really touch them.

Came up quite nicely for an 18 year old car.

9fxwg0.jpg

So.. the beast in question.

2usa70g.jpg

21ox82q.jpg

Nice thick snowfoam.
rtnsjt.jpg

My attempt at a 50/50.
mjlnp1.jpg

Lots of swirls on the boot..
vskg7l.jpg

To...
b7h1lw.jpg

2zyhixf.jpg

14skyv8.jpg

14uhl6e.jpg

And the crucial 172 reflection shot..
20r3aa.jpg

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Love it. That is my favourite colour car ever I think - Dragon Green.
Yeah , polish is a b*****d to get off if you dont clay and decontaminate I find, you also kind of knacker your pads as they absorb all the s**t.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
The polish residue should never be difficult to remove, never had that trouble with any manufacturer including the AF polishes

If you don't decontaminate first the paint won't be clean before you start polishing and is a pad idea. Get some of that in the pad and you'll be inflicting as much damage as you're correcting. You'll also get through pads a lot quicker if it's bad.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
The polish residue should never be difficult to remove, never had that trouble with any manufacturer including the AF polishes

If you don't decontaminate first the paint won't be clean before you start polishing and is a pad idea. Get some of that in the pad and you'll be inflicting as much damage as you're correcting. You'll also get through pads a lot quicker if it's bad.

I see where I went wrong, thanks mate! That's one of the reasons I didnt do my own car first haha!

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
i have a very nice glaze if u want it pm me your address i will send it up its dr beasleys glaze and will look lush on your clio
Alex

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Good first effort, listen to Dave though.

If the polish residue is hard to get off my guess is the panels were overheating, either through polishing or the direct sunlight

Probably the sunlight as aucky says, been a very warm past few days, and that paint is dark so will attract the heat. It should actually never be done in sunlight, its just that most of us have no choice ^^

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Yeah it was 26 degress yesterday on the sunny south coast, so probably that.

Thanks!