ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My black 1.2 16v

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph2
Here is a thread of some of the things I've been doing with my 1.2 16v 2003 clio. I've never really done a project thread like this but decided it would be a good way to get some ideas and criticism from people.

When i bought the car it was completely standard. It had a few problems with the exterior these included; scratches in the paint work and lights being discoloured. other then that i thought it was a good base project.

This is how the car looked when i picked it up.
1062163_10151455950885841_753023932_o_zps8bd029e1.jpg

since then i decided to just start cleaning it up, first i bought a new licence plate light, the 172 spoiler, and the turtle wax black kit.

The new 172 spoiler, massive improvement to the plastic standard one. I have also removed the rear wiper of the back.
1228630_10151547906335841_1344700373_o_zpsddefbf5e.jpg

the replacement rear liscence plate light, compared to the old one, subtle difference, but i prefer it
1237975_10151576063900841_1712140445_o_zpsdb8c649a.jpg

I am hoping to keep cleaning it up and possibly do some more subtle modifications such as;
  • Alloy wheels
  • new front lights - to get rid of my yellow stained ones
  • lower 40mm
  • rs grill
  • new front bumper - to replce the current one which has too many scratches and cracks in.

any other sugestions would be much appreciated

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph2
awesome, i do want a rs grill i think they really improve the look of the car, but they just seem to cost alot. i have a payrise coming up in a few weeks, so going to get some more things done.

first thing first is alloy wheels. not sure what yet.

Yeah they are unbelievably expensive for what they are. Fortunately mine came with it already on plus the original in the boot, win win.

If mine didn't already have alloys on I'd probably go with the 172's alloys. Always look smart on the pearl black Clio's!

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph2
This morning i have spent most of my time reading through threads on here, after reading some i decided i would tackle restoring my headlights as they look hideous at the moment.
pics of what they look light at the moment
IMAG1854-1_zps78e7e950.jpg

IMAG1852-1_zps269bcdd1.jpg

to do this i decide to go for the Meguiars headlight restorer. The kit comes with 2 dual sided sanding pads, some cutting polish and a drill adapted buffing pad.
1354081_10151578038575841_283789038_o_zps7e4db6de.jpg

i will post up some pictures of when i have finished the lights.

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph2
Nice little car that fella. I've literally only just started my thread too..will be nice to see how we differ in style as things progress :)

yea that'll be good to see, i'm going to follow your thread and see what you do. im still deciding on the root for my clio, i want to keep it till it goes completely as a daily driver, so nothing to outrageous

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph2
update on the headlight restoration.....

total failure. I spent 2 hours doing one headlight, massive improvement its smoother, cleaner and is far more visible at night.... however it turns out that the lights are just as bad on the inside :(.

oh well, i suppose ill have to wait to by some new replacements as i'm not too keen on the idea of cracking them and resealing afterwards.

yea that'll be good to see, i'm going to follow your thread and see what you do. im still deciding on the root for my clio, i want to keep it till it goes completely as a daily driver, so nothing to outrageous

I've got a fair bit planned...just need time and money; I'm taking it steady at the moment...tidying it up. Nearly finished with the colour coding :) Oh and I've subbed to this thread too so I can keep track of how yours is fairing fella.

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph2
I've got a fair bit planned...just need time and money; I'm taking it steady at the moment...tidying it up. Nearly finished with the colour coding :) Oh and I've subbed to this thread too so I can keep track of how yours is fairing fella.

Sweet, i want to do some colour coding, but it seems like its going to be costly. i looked at the door bump strips and they were close to £50 on eBay.

And time and money is always the issue, not only that, but i dont have anywhere to do large work to my car. I live in a hotel, which makes storage difficult.

Sweet, i want to do some colour coding, but it seems like its going to be costly. i looked at the door bump strips and they were close to £50 on eBay.

And time and money is always the issue, not only that, but i dont have anywhere to do large work to my car. I live in a hotel, which makes storage difficult.

Colour code yourself! might be cheaper to get some rattle cans & sandpaper. I did mine, payed about £30 for the stuff

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph2
I used some 1500 i found in the garage, worked sweet

ahh, might give that a try, ive found before that some plastics dont take well to being sprayed. do you find it has any problems?

i need to wait till pay day anyways so i can afford to do some more stuff. new lights are definitely first.

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph2
Hey guys, so ive been waiting for a bit of money to be get me going on the car again. Fortunately i got a pay rise this month, over double what i was on before, WIN!

with this in mind i thought id go out and get some more stuff ordered and look for more things to do to the car.

first things first, i decided to get body coloured door bump strips. hopefully theyll be fitted by the weekend so i can put pictures up.
i also bought some renault badge wraps in black. this is to make them blend in to the car better.

As i said, more pictures this weekend after theyll turned up and the cars been polished.

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph2
well, I've had some new developments on the car today, but not necessarily ones i planned.

While parked up outside a shop and sitting in my car. a woman decided it would be a good idea to reverse her 4x4 over my clio. unfortunately its fucked my bonnet and bumper.

stupidly on my behalf I accepted to settle it between us and not the insurance so have to now look for both the bonnet and bumper. Any ideas how much i can get a nice black bonnet and bumper for, plus where from???

tbf its probably alot less hastle to settle outside of insurance

Have a look on ebay for breaking clio's, there's currently a full sport set in pearl black ;)

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph2
tbf its probably alot less hastle to settle outside of insurance

Have a look on ebay for breaking clio's, there's currently a full sport set in pearl black ;)

haha i did notice that, was tempted to spend half my paycheck on it. haha

and i do need a new bumper ;).

yea i suppose eBay is the best shout. just the problem is none are local. ahh well, maybe time for a cruise back down south. (pick up the body kit too maybe)

Clio 2002
This morning i have spent most of my time reading through threads on here, after reading some i decided i would tackle restoring my headlights as they look hideous at the moment.
pics of what they look light at the moment
IMAG1854-1_zps78e7e950.jpg

IMAG1852-1_zps269bcdd1.jpg

to do this i decide to go for the Meguiars headlight restorer. The kit comes with 2 dual sided sanding pads, some cutting polish and a drill adapted buffing pad.
1354081_10151578038575841_283789038_o_zps7e4db6de.jpg

i will post up some pictures of when i have finished the lights.

i would give this kit a miss mate, its shite! i got fobbed off with it at halfords and ended up getting the 3M kit.

cars looking good though

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph2
i would give this kit a miss mate, its s**te! i got fobbed off with it at halfords and ended up getting the 3M kit.

cars looking good though

Yea i gave it a go, made a huge difference, however still left some crap on there, plus it showed me that the lights have also got oxidation on the inside, so goin gto have to get new lights i think.

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph2
oo and thank you,

anyways regardless of my car being hit, im still determined to get it back into shape. Today my new colour coded bump strips turned up so i fit them as i had sme spare time at college.

Before and after in one shot - its only a small difference but im much prefer the look with colour coded.
1370051_10151612584595841_1777107155_o_zps1192c8ec.jpg

also while taking a quick snap i decided to get a photo of the bonnet, its not too bad but its sill enough to have annoyed me.
1373111_10151612358010841_1850397550_o_zps4f8925ee.jpg

hopefully this weekend i will get a new bonnet and bumper, then full wax and polish of the car to get some decent new photos.

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph2
really annoyed for you mate that this has happened!

cheers pal, its a set back but im looking at it in the way my bumper was scratched from the start and she made it worse so is buying me a new one anyways. The bonnet was definitely the most annoying thing

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph2
Man that sucks :/ is the bonnet catch ok? id be worried it would flip up and smash into the windscreen or somethin aha

yea its good (its only temporary), to be honest its better then it could be standard. takes about 5 minutes to open the bonnet. (plus its cable tied at the moment).

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph2
not much new, i cleaned the car (or what is in good condition at the moment) with the new colour coded bump strips.

i also picked up some wind deflectors at the weekend, love the look of them as well as the effectiveness of them for long driving (specially as im doing a 400mile trip home in 2 weeks time)

bad photo but wont have any betters till i do all the bonnet and bumper repairs.
467e201b-c630-4300-bb6e-144f6f687d5c_zps369f38b0.jpg

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph2
today i decided to change the interior light bulbs, the normal ones were a bit yellow and dull. so i bought some of the 6000K leds from halfords. I changed the interior dome light and the boot light.

Before and after
interiorlight_zpsddd959d1.jpg

i also got a better photo of the car with the body coloured door strips and the wind deflectors.
1372246_10151620412135841_1653657296_o_zps3cc1aea6.jpg

any other ideas for cleaning up the car or subtle modifications are much appreciated