ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Black Gold (no)mod thread

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Removed some bling from the car last week.
IMG_20190722_130741.jpg

The temporary bolts in the side skirt had already started to rust so I replaced them with black rivets. Couldn't be bothered to remove the other side one as it was fekkin hot so that can wait until 2021?. Much better:
IMG_20190722_132024.jpg

The dog was a great help as usual!

Then last Friday I went over to @YorkshireKyle to fit the new powerflex rear beam bushes and pms arb. Took a while to get the old bushes out but we got there in the end and it all went back together quickly and easily and nothing fell off on my way home. I've only driven it once since so can't comment on how it's changed the handling but that's all the suspension refreshed now so it should be good for another 100k+?.
Big thanks to Kyle for the effort crawling about under my car for hours.
As usual no pics during fitting ?.
IMG_20190728_115105.jpg
IMG_20190728_115038.jpg

The pms sits much more snugly than the whiteline arb and doesn't look like its been made from scrap?. Can't wait to test it properly.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Nee botha

Aye ream beam bushes can suck my balls ? I'm still quite amazed the brake lines fit perfectly under the 2 U bolts. It really is almost as if they thought about the positioning of them in that certain spot entirely for that reason...:unsure:?

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Nee botha

Aye ream beam bushes can suck my balls ? I'm still quite amazed the brake lines fit perfectly under the 2 U bolts. It really is almost as if they thought about the positioning of them in that certain spot entirely for that reason...:unsure:?
Amazing isn't it. Another plus point over the rustline arb. ???

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Gave the cars a wash today, both black ones were minging and had some strange small yellow dots all over them. Not sure what that was but it took some getting off.
I've also managed to give the arb a test and oh my word it's great😁. You can really feel when the car digs in and pivots around you as the centre of rotation. Really fun to throw it about now.
IMG_20190818_123740.jpg
IMG_20190818_134614.jpg

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Damn this needs an update! The 1.2 passed mot today, only the airfreshener and a flat spot on a wheel as advisories. I hope mine passes that well😂.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Time for a catch up...

September 2019 myself @alexessex_7 @Jon46 and @MrBlonde had a trip to Wales to enjoy some of the fantastic roads. There's a separate thread about our trip somewhere so I'll not repeat it all here. Over 4 days and 700+ miles each we only suffered a jammed window and a broken boot solenoid between 4 old clio's , can't complain at that!
IMG_20190913_112736.jpg
IMG_20190913_112921.jpg
IMG_20190915_091942.jpg
IMG_20190915_131523.jpg
IMG_20190915_131534.jpg

40 mpg for the trip too, what an amazing little car 👍.

Nothing much else happened the rest of the 2019. Had no issues with the car as it continues to do the daily grind and suffer winter covered in muck.
IMG_20191224_142838.jpg

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
2020 may have gone to s**t and all the usual car shows were cancelled but that didn't stop it passing in a blur. My mot was due in March but Covid brought a 6 month extension as lockdown hit and it was welcomed as the eml light was still burning bright and I was 99% confident the car would fail on emissions. I'd booked it in at Topgear Performance in Doncaster for a sports cat fitting before I booked the mot. 3 days before the cat was to be fitted lockdown happened and Topgear shut up shop! Thank god for that mot extension🙏.

Then furlough happened, mercifully only 3 weeks for me, but it was 3 weeks of blistering hot weather and there was job that really needed doing on the car.
IMG_20200415_141423.jpg

Cold air was in short supply and I knew this little bugger was to blame so I stood on my head and swore a lot until I'd gotten a big fat cable tie on it. Mercifully it all went back together easily and the air con proved to still be ice cold😊.

I noticed that somehow I managed to scratch a couple of buttons on the climate panel🙄.
IMG_20200415_145559.jpg

I have spares in good condition but I'm not puling it until I've got spare unsticky dash parts to swap over.

Ever since fitting my Momo wheel I've had an occasional rattle from the steering cowel. Turns out it was tapping against the radio control stalk and as I've never used it it's days were numbered.
IMG_20200415_163843.jpg
IMG_20200415_165726.jpg

I'll get around to sorting a blank at some point. The stalk is now extra clutter in a box of clio parts. We've all got one of those, right 👍😂.

Furlough is pretty handy when your old banger is a daily driver, I expect bits to drop off or not come off at all but the car played nicely and nothing caused any issues.
One job that I knew needed doing was the dogbone. I had a Evol Engineering one fitted which was spot on imo, however it was removed and refitted by Bloke during other work and I think it was buzz gunned on too tight. I had acquired some extra vibrations after the work but had lots of new bushes fitted as well as all other engine mounts replaced so couldn't pin it to one thing. As I had one of @PhillipM dog bones to fit I thought I'd swap it over. After all I'd had it over a year🤣.
IMG_20200416_141729_1.jpg

Fitted in nicely and torqued up to spec. I guess the Evol was over tight🙄.
IMG_20200416_141857.jpg
IMG_20200416_141907.jpg

Been a few months since the swap and apart from a slight gear stick shake when in neutral it feel better than the squished Evol mount. I'd happily reccomend either as an upgrade.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
2020 may have gone to s**t and all the usual car shows were cancelled but that didn't stop it passing in a blur. My mot was due in March but Covid brought a 6 month extension as lockdown hit and it was welcomed as the eml light was still burning bright and I was 99% confident the car would fail on emissions. I'd booked it in at Topgear Performance in Doncaster for a sports cat fitting before I booked the mot. 3 days before the cat was to be fitted lockdown happened and Topgear shut up shop! Thank god for that mot extension🙏.

Then furlough happened, mercifully only 3 weeks for me, but it was 3 weeks of blistering hot weather and there was job that really needed doing on the car.
View attachment 1487214
Cold air was in short supply and I knew this little bugger was to blame so I stood on my head and swore a lot until I'd gotten a big fat cable tie on it. Mercifully it all went back together easily and the air con proved to still be ice cold😊.

I noticed that somehow I managed to scratch a couple of buttons on the climate panel🙄.
View attachment 1487216
I have spares in good condition but I'm not puling it until I've got spare unsticky dash parts to swap over.

Ever since fitting my Momo wheel I've had an occasional rattle from the steering cowel. Turns out it was tapping against the radio control stalk and as I've never used it it's days were numbered.
View attachment 1487217View attachment 1487218
I'll get around to sorting a blank at some point. The stalk is now extra clutter in a box of clio parts. We've all got one of those, right 👍😂.

Furlough is pretty handy when your old banger is a daily driver, I expect bits to drop off or not come off at all but the car played nicely and nothing caused any issues.
One job that I knew needed doing was the dogbone. I had a Evol Engineering one fitted which was spot on imo, however it was removed and refitted by Bloke during other work and I think it was buzz gunned on too tight. I had acquired some extra vibrations after the work but had lots of new bushes fitted as well as all other engine mounts replaced so couldn't pin it to one thing. As I had one of @PhillipM dog bones to fit I thought I'd swap it over. After all I'd had it over a year🤣. View attachment 1487224
Fitted in nicely and torqued up to spec. I guess the Evol was over tight🙄.
View attachment 1487225View attachment 1487226
Been a few months since the swap and apart from a slight gear stick shake when in neutral it feel better than the squished Evol mount. I'd happily reccomend either as an upgrade.
That's about right on the evol mount with those bushes. They use a nylon insert rather than a steel one. The race bushes are far superior

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
After that I decided to pull the front wheels off and see how my billies had survived the winter. I had coated them in acf 50 and wrapped them in some covers I got off ebay.
IMG_20200416_144826.jpg
IMG_20200416_145001.jpg

The covers certainly kept a lot of crap out, worth more than the £20 investment for sure.
IMG_20200416_154246.jpg
IMG_20200416_154300.jpg

The billies are mint under the covers. A quick clean of the arches, covers and shocks before a spray of acf and wrapped up again and all was good.

I have suffered some rubbing at the front when enjoying a B road so decided to bend the bumper brackets up a bit. Easy job eh? Well it took far too long and far too many swear words all because of this bloody bolt.
IMG_20200417_135537.jpg

It was rusted solid but loose and free to spin so cutting it was a right carry on. I ended up with mole grips on it and cut the head off with a dremmel disc. I still have the occasional scrape so need to revisit those brackets with my fine adjustment tool.

My driver side fog light had been fogging up throughout winter and was going rusty inside.
IMG_20200417_113139.jpg

The other one must have felt ignored or something so it swallowed a stone.
IMG_20200417_113147.jpg

I had a spare pair in the box so swapped them over. Now the passenger one has started fogging up so new ones are on the list, probably for next year 😂.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
After messing with dirty parts I decided to add a splash of colour. My original dash strips were scratched and I picked up a spare pair cheap which I painted silver and fitted. Then I had time on my hands so painted my originals.
IMG_20200419_121229.jpg
IMG_20200419_121244.jpg

Debating doing some spare wing mirror covers to match. Or the wheels🤔

As lockdown restrictions were relaxed Topgear rang to say they were open again so I booked the car in for the cat swapping at last! I wasn't allowed to hang around and watch unfortunately so no pics of the work being done. They removed the knackered flexi from the scorpion centre section and removed the olive from the manifold. Then welded a flexi to the manifold and fitted the sports cat between connected with V bands son I can easily swap it for a decat which I'll have made up after I finally get an mot done.
IMG_20200704_105529.jpg

Mmm shiny😁. The back box is still too low though🙄.

The other week I'd parked on a steep hill and ever since I had an oil warning when starting the car. Dipstick was on minimum and the car was overdue a service so I booked it I at my local garage. Then I was put on furlough again🙄. So I figured I may as well do it myself. @renaultpartsdirect did the biz with supplies 👍. So today I've done my first ever oil change😁. I still hate jacking the Clio up, it's like picking a week long dead cat up by one leg 😂.
After the exhaust was done I plugged my obd dingle in and used torque to scan and clear errors.
Screenshot_20200415_151231_org.prowl.torque.jpg

Cat one I expected with the eml on, but knock sensor? Cleared them and had a look at the knock sensor. The bloody thing is bent and I expect it's had some interference during a previous oil filter change. New one ordered, but changing it looks like it won't be fun. Eml has stayed off since, it took a while to get used to not having the orange light on the dash😂.
I've got new spark plugs to fit but I'm still off work next week so decided to sit in the sun and update this instead this afternoon 🌞.
Also bought 2 new PS3's for the front to be fitted before mot and then Wales 2020 road trip, and maybe pms top mounts and brace if I have a happy birthday in August 😂.
Random pic to end.
IMG_20200710_201249.jpg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
After messing with dirty parts I decided to add a splash of colour. My original dash strips were scratched and I picked up a spare pair cheap which I painted silver and fitted. Then I had time on my hands so painted my originals.
View attachment 1487235View attachment 1487236
Debating doing some spare wing mirror covers to match. Or the wheels🤔

As lockdown restrictions were relaxed Topgear rang to say they were open again so I booked the car in for the cat swapping at last! I wasn't allowed to hang around and watch unfortunately so no pics of the work being done. They removed the knackered flexi from the scorpion centre section and removed the olive from the manifold. Then welded a flexi to the manifold and fitted the sports cat between connected with V bands son I can easily swap it for a decat which I'll have made up after I finally get an mot done.
View attachment 1487237
Mmm shiny😁. The back box is still too low though🙄.

The other week I'd parked on a steep hill and ever since I had an oil warning when starting the car. Dipstick was on minimum and the car was overdue a service so I booked it I at my local garage. Then I was put on furlough again🙄. So I figured I may as well do it myself. @renaultpartsdirect did the biz with supplies 👍. So today I've done my first ever oil change😁. I still hate jacking the Clio up, it's like picking a week long dead cat up by one leg 😂.
After the exhaust was done I plugged my obd dingle in and used torque to scan and clear errors.
View attachment 1487238
Cat one I expected with the eml on, but knock sensor? Cleared them and had a look at the knock sensor. The bloody thing is bent and I expect it's had some interference during a previous oil filter change. New one ordered, but changing it looks like it won't be fun. Eml has stayed off since, it took a while to get used to not having the orange light on the dash😂.
I've got new spark plugs to fit but I'm still off work next week so decided to sit in the sun and update this instead this afternoon 🌞.
Also bought 2 new PS3's for the front to be fitted before mot and then Wales 2020 road trip, and maybe pms top mounts and brace if I have a happy birthday in August 😂.
Random pic to end.
View attachment 1487244
Cat looks good, but why didnt you have the flexi welded to the sports cat instead? If the flexi goes then you have to have the whole thing cut off. You cant just remove the cat, fit a decat and send it off for a new flexi

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Yes mate cant wait for the Bigger Better Wales 2020 😎👍🏻

View attachment 1487221View attachment 1487222View attachment 1487223
It could well be the best weekend of 2020😂👍.
That's about right on the evol mount with those bushes. They use a nylon insert rather than a steel one. The race bushes are far superior
It was fine when torqued up to spec and I had no issues with it at all. The @PhillipM bushes have aluminium liners though.
When are you releasing the carp from that foglight? 😂
Fishy lights seem to be a forte for my car 🤣🤣.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Cat looks good, but why didnt you have the flexi welded to the sports cat instead? If the flexi goes then you have to have the whole thing cut off. You cant just remove the cat, fit a decat and send it off for a new flexi
🤷‍♂️ Lifetime guarantee. I assume the guys who make exhausts for a living know best.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
🤷‍♂️ Lifetime guarantee. I assume the guys who make exhausts for a living know best.
Aye, just wondered if theyd said why that way round. Just a bit of hassle with the car having to go in, over sending the parts in the post.

Itll last years regardless and be a million times better than the s**t olive and flange 😂

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5

Dare I ask how much? Don't need the cat but I do need a flexi and v band welding onto mine after I get it MOT'd.

406 V6, Race Buggy
I haven't been because the supplier I used to use for resin shut and everyone else I'd tried has been shite compared, apart from one that may work but it's a little softer so I need to tweak the designs.
However the last few months I've been trialing some fancy stuff that microfoams as it's made so I can give the bushes more damping with less spring rate, going well so far but i need more testing time before I pull the trigger on it - it's not cheap - nice though, it's fancy soft-touch stuff like top end interior plastics :D
I do have a little of the old stuff left so I can do a couple of one-offs but that's all.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I haven't been because the supplier I used to use for resin shut and everyone else I'd tried has been shite compared, apart from one that may work but it's a little softer so I need to tweak the designs.
However the last few months I've been trialing some fancy stuff that microfoams as it's made so I can give the bushes more damping with less spring rate, going well so far but i need more testing time before I pull the trigger on it - it's not cheap - nice though, it's fancy soft-touch stuff like top end interior plastics :D
I do have a little of the old stuff left so I can do a couple of one-offs but that's all.
If you do a rear bush I wouldn't say no mate😂 I've still got that front one you sent me, didn't even get round to using it because I bloody sold my car!🤦‍♂️😂

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Swapped the cabin filter the other day. It wasn't as manky as some I've seen on here but was definatly due.
IMG_20200724_121549.jpg

Just the spark plugs to do and I'm done with the service.
I was hoping to get the brakes changed to my brembo's before the Wales trip next month but I've just ordered some parts from PMS so brakes are postponed again. I blame Covid 😂. More news on that when the box arrives😜.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Plugs done today, a nice easy job considering the inlet needs removing. The old ones look ok🤷‍♂️?
IMG_20200802_133529.jpg

I'd orders a 24mm socket to remove the knock sensor so changed that too. Seems like it had received a knock (😆) maybe during a oil filter change and wasn't in the best shape. New and old sonsors:
IMG_20200802_110402.jpg

Easy to change but a bugger to get to!
IMG_20200802_111036.jpg

All done and covered up ready for the mot next🤞. I'm off to have a word with the tester to see if it needs the steering wheel airbag to be present, hopefully not😂.
IMG_20200802_133739.jpg
IMG_20200802_131157.jpg

Car works as it did before I started meddling with it, which is a huge positive😂. I might give it a bit of a clean soon to celebrate.

Attachments

• IMG_20200802_133503.jpg
    IMG_20200802_133503.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 155

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
As I've sent most of the last 4 weeks decorating the house I thought I'd treat myself for my birthday. Excellent service from @pure-motorsport with my weekend order arriving on Tuesday. As I've been told to return to work next week this is the shortest time ever a car part has been sat in my house as they were fitted yesterday in the sweltering heat🙄.
So what did I get?
IMG_20200806_161014.jpg

New design top mounts and strut brace 🙂. Another nice and easy job to fit them to the B14's even though when you lay the brace on the turrets it looks to be too long. It's not and I found the best way to position it right is to get a helper to hold one of the top mounts in place from below abd then press the brace onto the other top mount and then you can mark the hole positions with everything where it should be. Then it's just a case of bolting everything up.
IMG_20200807_091022.jpg
IMG_20200807_120509.jpg
IMG_20200807_120529.jpg

Obviously while you've got the shocks off you've gotta give them a bit of a clean, right 😁.
IMG_20200807_150716.jpg

All shiny with all the crap and acf cleaned off then reassembled, refitted and a fresh coat of acf applied before tucked away under the covers again. All that effort hidden well out of view 😂.
I didn't testbit yesterday as the neighbours were out boozing in the sun and I wanted to join in but a spin around the block today revealed no untoward noises and nothing fell off so I'm happy. The tracking needs doing though!
IMG_20200808_144340.jpg

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I also recently noticed a rattle from the rear which turned out to be the exhaust heat shield tapping on the back box. I cut a couple of pieces of 1mm plate and drilled them to make the biggest washers ever to restrain a heat shield.
IMG_20200808_144355.jpg

That's not moving now.

Is it just my imagination or is the front a bit lower with the pms top mounts? I need to book the car in for its mot and new front tyres next but obviously if it's a bit lower I'd like to raise it a bit first.
IMG_20200808_145407.jpg

And a pic of the filthy engine bay with new bling😂.
IMG_20200807_163920.jpg

I might have to do something with that now I can't hide most of it under the engine cover😭🤣.

Next up happy mot day or breaking for parts 🤔

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Got to work last night and jumped out to open the gate and realised the radiator fan was running. In 4 years that's the first time I've known it to be on, I must have nudged something and accidently fixed it 😂.
As it had been neglected while I was soff work I gavit a wash on Sunday. 10 mins of rain the other night and it looks like it's never had a wash😭.
IMG_20200812_173945.jpg

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Alignment done today at Bram Racing. No before print as he had to take the wheels off and reduce the camber as they can only add camber when it's on the ramp. And it certainly didn't need any more 😂. After though:
IMG_20200828_180800.jpg

It feels a million times better. Front end grip in the rain was shocking and the steeing was horribly twitchy. Its shocking when you set off after a good alignment how different the car feels, its a pleasure to drive again.
Not tomorrow.