ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My car loves Cold Weather!!

My Cup is unbelievably more responsive in the cold weather.

I swear I wouldve beaten a Ferrari today if id come up against one!!

Mine is one of the quick uns anyway, and with this extra boost its easily sub 6 secs to 60.;)

Only downside of the cold spell, apart from the ice!! is that its started to rattle and creak more!! If thats possible!!

Quote: Originally posted by CUP80Y on 07 December 2003

I swear I wouldve beaten a Ferrari today if id come up against one!!
LoL and he wouldnt have benefited from the same effect, no? ;)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Yeah, was -2c on my way into work this morning and it just felt soooo responsive!!!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

also -4, I seemed to notice too that the 172 engine (be it cup or otherwise) is affected a lot by the temprature, when it was summer and we were getting 25-30C it felt slow and sluggish the entire time.

My gearbox clunk cant keep up with the high response of the engine now its nice and dence. I can feel the engine jump into life as soon as i blip the throttle. Much faster than it normally does, at lot harder too, but i have to wait for the clunk...before the power gets laid down. annoying. -3 here...very icey and scary.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 08 December 2003

also -4, I seemed to notice too that the 172 engine (be it cup or otherwise) is affected a lot by the temprature, when it was summer and we were getting 25-30C it felt slow and sluggish the entire time.
Temperature makes a big difference on most cars mate...

Clio v6

I understand the cold air making cars more lively, but please remember that -2 and -4 is freezing so be careful.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Always am carefull.. thx dad.. ;)

Rich, I know it affects all engines.. just seems on the 172 engine it is more noticable to my previous cars. Maybe its cause the 172 is quite tuned it uses the cold air better than a 2.0l untuned engine ?

Nissan R35 GT-R

The cooler the air is, the more oxygen-rich it is, so as a result, more fuel can be added to any given volume of air by the engine management.

Cars actually make more power in the cold weather. This is one of the reasons the 172 makes 172 bhp DIN but only ~170 bhp SAE, because the DIN standard asks that cars be measured in slightly cooler conditions than the SAE standard does.

The negative is that the tyres are so cold that your handling suffers - so in this weather I tend to "play very carefully!"

H22A7 Accord Type R

i was gentle driving to work, but did feel the abs kicking in when braking from a slow speed down a hill. Respect due!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Frosty on 08 December 2003
The cooler the air is, the more oxygen-rich it is, so as a result, more fuel can be added to any given volume of air by the engine management.

Knew That !

Cars actually make more power in the cold weather. This is one of the reasons the 172 makes 172 bhp DIN but only ~170 bhp SAE, because the DIN standard asks that cars be measured in slightly cooler conditions than the SAE standard does.

Okay Didnt know about the DIN SAE temprature thing.

The negative is that the tyres are so cold that your handling suffers - so in this weather I tend to "play very carefully!"

So do I, Its way to slippy and slidey out there. lost traction in 2nd gear going up a hill at about 2000rpm lol.

Have a look at the aviation tables. Not only do aircraft engines lose power in the heat, but the thinner air requires a higher speed to generate the same amount of lift. On a cold day the plane seems to jump off the runway whilst on a hot one it barely wants to lift off. Makes life interesting....

lol - i live in sunny scotland.. was -7 when i left... ive got the front grille ripped off mine and a cold air feed forcing air into the pipercross... not only does it make a fantastic noise, but the repsonse difference in a 1.2 16v is even noticeable !!, a lot more since i took the renault Cold Air Stopping device off lol...

I am correct in thinking that forced induction engines react better to temperature changes than n/a engines? Better in the cold and worse in the heat?

Revels Mum & Sister

My valver felt nice and lively today! Except when I went to go across a roundabout and left half my Rubber across the roundabout trying to get across quickly!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by CooperS-Boy on 08 December 2003

I am correct in thinking that forced induction engines react better to temperature changes than n/a engines? Better in the cold and worse in the heat?
Yeah, a cooler charge temp will really help with forced induction...

HELP!!!!! - just read everyones posts, my shiny new motor seems since yesterday a bit sluggish, and if im not mistaken there seems to be a bit of a vibration around the accelerator pedal and the engine does seem to have a slightly buzzy feel to it - AM I GOING MAD!!!!!

even being gentle, getting off the line is getting harder in these conditions. Spins up real easy, never used to be a problem.