ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Clio 182 Goes too ---> K&N Research & Development

Shhh
My 182 goes into K&N in Warrington on monday for a few days for there research and development department to develop a mounting kit for there Apollo filter box thingy. The car will be ran up on there Dyno machine before the mod is started, and then run in stages as things progress. If the mod can be done easily and no major work can be done (ie if the filter box can be modified to fit the original brackets) then they said they will leave the filter fitted for free.

Ive asked for before and after dyno run sheets to be printed off for me, so i can prove that the damn thing works. They said they would never sell an item that does not have any gains, so looking forward to this one. They said it should be run up on the dyno, tho the airbox gets a nice ram air cold feed. Id like to see them try this on the dyno as surely the car would perform different on the road than sitting on the dyno machine. Surely they cannot create enough pressure into the airbox whilst the car is sitting still unless they fit a pressure sensor to the airbox inlet pipe, then take the car out for a run then try to recreate it on the rolling road.....

Where do i send the graphs, whose interested in the findings i get from this R&D session with the well known K&N firm.

Regards,

Alias

Shhh
But can they remap the car.? Surely if the ram air affects the engine then it should be done..

So if they fit the filter package, and leave it fitted the car needs remapping to suit the extra air flow. Tho if they remove it, then the car should be ok..

Have to ask all this in the morning when i drop the car off. Unsure which filter they are on about, tho they claimed to gain bhp otherwise they would not sell the thing. Spoke to someone in R&D on this. Ive heard all the hype against other filters not being able to increase bhp but lose it, so nice to actually get some real proof of the damn thing working on a STANDARD 182.

There was a test done recently by someone with a standard 172 and a BMC closed kit. He got a 2bhp increase on the rollers. He also had an AFR (air fuel ratio) graph that showed the car ran lean with the BMC over 4000rpm. Heres the link -
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=100940&highlight=BMC

A remap needs to be done with a piggyback ECU (SMT) or you could use a fixed map aftermarket chip (superchips etc.). I think the standard ECU can adapt slightly to increased air flow but a remap would be the best option and would allow for future mods (£500 though).

IMO an aftermarket filter, standalone, is pointless. Save your money and get a cat back exhaust sports cat air filter and remap for approx 1k you will get some worthwhile gains still only 10bhp though but better driveability.

I will be interested to see the results you get. If the car is standard it wont be any more then 2-4bhp.

Shhh
Thanks for the reply, tho the car is standard and they want the car for R&D. Im not bothered about the performance as i had the idea that if it worked, i could sell it on eBay and make some £££ from it. I treat the car no worse than they will on the rolling road.. :)

Not into modifiying the car unless a aftermarket item is cheaper than standard. If the exhausts blew, then id maybe consider a replacement part, tho if something is not broke i dont fix it.

K&N know its in standard trim..and they told me they could get +ve bhp out of it. Nice to see if it runs lean...as its got a standard ECU fitted. Ill ask them to check the performance on the road to, think it would need to be road tested by them as id know straight away if it was slower.

172 cup'd extreme
all 172's run lean over 4000 rpm thats how they get good mpg on the motorway etc , they bounce between rich and lean over 4k

AliasOmega said:
But can they remap the car.? Surely if the ram air affects the engine then it should be done..

So if they fit the filter package, and leave it fitted the car needs remapping to suit the extra air flow. Tho if they remove it, then the car should be ok..

Have to ask all this in the morning when i drop the car off. Unsure which filter they are on about, tho they claimed to gain bhp otherwise they would not sell the thing. Spoke to someone in R&D on this. Ive heard all the hype against other filters not being able to increase bhp but lose it, so nice to actually get some real proof of the damn thing working on a STANDARD 182.

The amount of ram air effect you would get is minimal to the point of being un-measurable. To stand any chance of working it would have to have a perfectly straight run to the inlet (never going to happen on std plenum), even then you would be lucky to see 1-2bhp.

Shhh
Clio went in to the place today. Asked them about the air / fuel ratio and was informed that the ECU should take account of that of the airflow sensor, and the lambada sensor in the exhaust. Just been watching Fifth Gear on Channel 5, i filled the car full of normal 95 ron unleaded, should of put Super Unleaded in it now as that the program proved that Super Unleaded does increase BHP on a Gti Golf, or Imprezza..

Seen the filter thing they are going to give me, its purple and is made by K&N. Has the option to be used as a filter inside the engine bay, or the option to remove the cover and pipe it as a cold air feed. They want to get the cold air feed mounted behind the radiator grill to get maximum performance.

Ill report back once i get the info from them all on wednesday. Im not really bothered about bhp gains, would like to see torque gains, and more of a roar from the system.

They are running it up on there dyno before and after so able to see the performance gains. Im expecting about 150bhp ish from a standard 182...maybe more if im lucky... :)

AliasOmega said:
Clio went in to the place today. Asked them about the air / fuel ratio and was informed that the ECU should take account of that of the airflow sensor, and the lambada sensor in the exhaust. Just been watching Fifth Gear on Channel 5, i filled the car full of normal 95 ron unleaded, should of put Super Unleaded in it now as that the program proved that Super Unleaded does increase BHP on a Gti Golf, or Imprezza..

Seen the filter thing they are going to give me, its purple and is made by K&N. Has the option to be used as a filter inside the engine bay, or the option to remove the cover and pipe it as a cold air feed. They want to get the cold air feed mounted behind the radiator grill to get maximum performance.
The ECU will only take account of lambeda reads for some of the time when engines over 4k or you've got more than 75% throttle then it ignores the lambeda so you will run a bit lean. The best intake the Viper runs the engine a bit lean but its not huge after all its only a filter.
98 RON won't make any difference on our cars as they don't have turbos and don't run high compression ratios so don't worry.
You want the cold air feed in the front of the car not behind a hot radiator though after all you want air which is cold as possible not stuff that has heated up going past the radiator.

Shhh
I gathered they were planning to get it behind the grill if possible. Nice to see what they have done on wednesday. I always thought the car needed more roar in from a 2nd gear 2k pull through to red line..

Focus ST-2
AliasOmega said:

Ill report back once i get the info from them all on wednesday. Im not really bothered about bhp gains, would like to see torque gains, and more of a roar from the system.

They are running it up on there dyno before and after so able to see the performance gains. Im expecting about 150bhp ish from a standard 182...maybe more if im lucky... :)

i would be taking the car back if i only got 150 bhp, i just got mine rr'd and it was 178.4 bhp

Shhh
Just found the filter.. Its £190 on eBay to buy at the moment. Found one online retailer selling it for £155 ish, tho did not look to far into it and what fitting kit it had with it.

The kit is here on eBay, tho suspect no Clio 182 fitting kit has been made yet....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Very-New-K-N-...itemZ7952476123QQcategoryZ36680QQcmdZViewItem

knapollo.jpg

apollo-red.jpg

K&N Apollo Closed Induction Kit

K&N have developed the K&N Apollo closed intake system to give optimum engine performance to your car. The K&N Apollo has a 70mm neck as standard (for other size hoses, an additional coupling is required), this makes the kit pretty much a universal fitment. To match your cars engine bay, K&N have produced the Apollo in Silver, Blue or Red.
The K&N Apollo will handle over 300BHP
The specially made housing prevents heat build giving optimum engine performance
Designed and developed in the UK by K&N's Motor Sport team
Ideal for bespoke intake systems or for upgrading existing kits

Links

http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/frame-detail.asp?PAGE=/manranges.asp
http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/knfilter.html

Shhh
Aberclio182 said:
i would be taking the car back if i only got 150 bhp, i just got mine rr'd and it was 178.4 bhp

Not had it rr'd as not had the need. Not really wanted to modify the car to get it checked out. Was going to do a rr day with the local car club and missed out on it. Nice to get someone to do it for me for free. Glad to see the filter is far more expensive than i originally thought so...

Maybe eBay the thing if i dont get what i want out of it. Im not really into modifing cars, so it be a waste fitted to my clio. Should fetch £100 + on eBay if i stick the graphs before and after fitment etc.

E91 M Sport
AliasOmega said:
Not had it rr'd as not had the need. Not really wanted to modify the car to get it checked out. Was going to do a rr day with the local car club and missed out on it. Nice to get someone to do it for me for free. Glad to see the filter is far more expensive than i originally thought so...

Maybe eBay the thing if i dont get what i want out of it. Im not really into modifing cars, so it be a waste fitted to my clio. Should fetch £100 + on eBay if i stick the graphs before and after fitment etc.

No offence, but it doesn't sound like you're that interested in the results, but more how much you'd get selling the setup on ebay? Just seems a bit strange, isn't your number 1 priority to get more power from your Clio?

Focus ST-2
AliasOmega said:
Just found the filter.. Its £190 on eBay to buy at the moment. Found one online retailer selling it for £155 ish, tho did not look to far into it and what fitting kit it had with it.

The kit is here on eBay, tho suspect no Clio 182 fitting kit has been made yet....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Very-New-K-N-...itemZ7952476123QQcategoryZ36680QQcmdZViewItem

knapollo.jpg

apollo-red.jpg

K&N Apollo Closed Induction Kit

K&N have developed the K&N Apollo closed intake system to give optimum engine performance to your car. The K&N Apollo has a 70mm neck as standard (for other size hoses, an additional coupling is required), this makes the kit pretty much a universal fitment. To match your cars engine bay, K&N have produced the Apollo in Silver, Blue or Red.
The K&N Apollo will handle over 300BHP
The specially made housing prevents heat build giving optimum engine performance
Designed and developed in the UK by K&N's Motor Sport team
Ideal for bespoke intake systems or for upgrading existing kits

Links

http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/frame-detail.asp?PAGE=/manranges.asp
http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/knfilter.html

Had one of these on my Saxo Vtr, made a nice noise but thats about it. i Bought it brand new off ebay last year for £110 and sold it for £60.

Shhh
miketheman2k said:
No offence, but it doesn't sound like you're that interested in the results, but more how much you'd get selling the setup on ebay? Just seems a bit strange, isn't your number 1 priority to get more power from your Clio?

Nope. I have the bike for speed.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
what did you get was this the one the guy shown me today he said it got 9bhp? mien is in there for the same filter but to the mrk1 172

mr jingles said:
Sounds like it was pants.
it's bound to be, it's a k&n

if you'vebeen in their test rooms you'll understand why their claims are so high, almost sub-f**king-zero air temperatures in the rooms, lol

do not believe any of k&n's claims, get it on an independant rolling road and see how it really performs

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
got mine back today, ands it the best i have had on so far, i had the viper, and the bmc, but this is by far the best for performance and sound, throttle response is up 10fold, also power though the whole rev range, is up and there is plenty more torque! 9/10 the viper was the best id had until this. the viper lost power!

i dont like the viper kit either but there is no way the apollo is better. The filter is far too small. It also looks like plasticy, well after all thats what it is,plastic. Atleast the viper is carbon fibre, even if it is dry mould.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
where do u live m8, u could try mine coz it aint going to be out for a good few weeks