ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my Clio and my Bro's 2.2 16v Astra speed test

53 Clio's & counting
Iv read a few threads on here asking/talking about the 2.2 16v astra coupe vs a 1*2, so as i had to take my Bro's car into work for an MOT i thought id take a quick vid on the private stretch at work.

here is my Clio, only mod being a cat back exhaust with circa 122k on the clock (pls excuse the music, it was radio 1!)

th_bet0-100.jpg

And here is my Bro's 53 reg standard Astra 2.2 16v, with 82k on the clock :
th_MOV00037.jpg

il let you guys take your sides lol

Last edited:
  BMW M135i
2.2 astras are not a quick car, my mate used to have a coupe with that lump in it and there wasn't much in it between that and my 1.6. And it used to have a severe drink problem for the power it gave.

astra coupe on coilovers
2.2 astras are not a quick car, my mate used to have a coupe with that lump in it and there wasn't much in it between that and my 1.6. And it used to have a severe drink problem for the power it gave.
it would be much quicker than a 1.6 clio bud my 1.8 astra coupe is quicker than 1.6 clios :)

BMW M135i
High speed yes, sub 100 no imo. Have driven both, they're only 144bhp and have an extra 200kgs over the clio. Although seem to remember the 1.8 isn't much less powerwise?

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
the 2.2 is disappointing my bros 1.8 keeps up with one

edit never mind hes posted lol

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
my mapped 130 gttdi golf was way faster than my cousins 2.2 astra.. in sayin that it was quicker than chausters 182 too!

audi a6 3.0tdi
a mate has a 2.2 astra sri and top end its not too bad but its slow off the line. They are only 146bhp

That 2.2 VX engine is incredibly poor for its displacement, plus it's tuning routes are limited unless you're willing to pay out a lot of cash (i.e. supercharging).

PH2 172
my mates got a 182 and another friend has the 2.0turbo astra, its pretty much neck and neck till 100, then the astra starts pulling away. its a really heavy car, especially with having pillar-less doors, but once it gets passed 100 it gets "into its stride" as he puts it, then it just takes off!! reli comfortable motorway crusier too!

astra coupe on coilovers
my brother tried it against a coupe turbo and got owned coming back from pvs remember craig lol

BG182®
Standard 2.2i coupe and SRi's are slow.

When I had the 206GTi it stuck with both with ease and the 206 is no hot hatch aye.

If my old 206 could keep up, your 172 will have a comfortable win.

Std vs std of course :)

clio v6 no.430
do you know if the 2.0 turbo is much quicker than the 2.2?

Ive had both the 2.2 16v coupe and the 2.0 turbo coupe the difference is amazing the 2.2 was a struggle, the turbo was stupid, at 135mph it would still keep pulling and pulling,
2.2 16v engine was good in my old vx220 though mainly because it weighed as much as a bag of crisps!

Clio MK 4
Ive had both the 2.2 16v coupe and the 2.0 turbo coupe the difference is amazing the 2.2 was a struggle, the turbo was stupid, at 135mph it would still keep pulling and pulling,
2.2 16v engine was good in my old vx220 though mainly because it weighed as much as a bag of crisps!

got a mate who has the 2.0 turbo and is getting it mapped. Should feel pretty impressive i assume once had it mapped

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
my brother tried it against a coupe turbo and got owned coming back from pvs remember craig lol

yep i remember that lol was a quick one to say the least. boost ftw

Last edited:
  53 Clio's & counting
oh my god i was only comparing guys std for std, all in good jest,i know my car would struggle againt a turbo, and yes mine doesnt hit 100 in 15 secs, but that wasnt the point of the vids good god